Hot on the heels of our QA job posting, we’ve got impending need for a freelance writer to help us write copy leading up to and following the release of The Events Calendar 3.0. If that sounds like your cup of tea, read on.
Modern Tribe serves a wide range of customers, from Fortune 500 companies to self-employed WordPress developers. We’re looking for a freelance writer who is excited at the prospect of writing a range of content directed at groups from both ends of that spectrum. Content you write will by and large be brief (<1000 words), and a timetable / clear direction will be provided from the offset. The writer will be expected to actively communicate with our support, marketing and development teams to make sure they’re accurately conveying company goals and deliverables.
The vast majority of copy you write will be focused on events and events-related products. If calendaring in all its wonders isn’t something you find interesting, you are not the right person for this job.
We are not necessarily looking for the person who has been doing this the longest; your resume isn’t as important as having a defined voice to your work and a genuine love for writing about events or technology (bonus points if both). Candidates should also understand that – as this is a freelance position – the work will ebb and flow depending on our project cycle. Anyone applying for the position should understand that there will inevitably be periods of time when we won’t have work for you, so if you don’t have other sources of income lined up to supplement that, this probably wouldn’t be a good fit.
Your Work Will Entail…
- Writing content for both sides (products and service) of the business, including:
- Blog posts
- Training manuals
- Marketing copy
- Setting and firmly sticking to deadlines
- Submitting, in a timely fashion, up to three rounds of edits to your piece based on editor feedback
- Taking screenshots and otherwise testing plugins/sites for a full understanding of what you’re writing about
- Occasionally contributing to outside/third party blogs on Modern Tribe’s behalf
What We Look For In A Writer
The ideal candidate will possess most, if not all, of the following traits:
- Matches Modern Tribe’s company culture:
- Full-time contractor (not a full-time employee who is moonlighting).
- Speak fluent English and can be available as needed for occasional calls in Pacific Time.
- Fast, reliable Internet connection.
- Detail-oriented & well-organized (you like to create stability out of chaos).
- Solid communication and excellent writing skills.
- Transparent attitude & strong self-confidence.
It’s definitely a bonus if you:
- Love events, event management, party planning, and the like.
- Feel comfortable using WordPress in some capacity.
- Have written marketing content / copy for WordPress-focused companies in the past.
- Feel comfortable writing both technical and non-technical documentation.
- Have basic CSS and Photoshop experience (enough to do a nice article layout).
We’re a digital agency with a modern twist. We are a product company. We are educators. All freelancers. All experts. In today’s world, we get to be many things to many people.
We believe in making quality products for other people and ourselves, balanced by living quality lives. We are 100% distributed & our team is spread around North America (and a hint beyond).
We believe that you should be happy, helpful, curious & accountable, on top of being good at what you do. We believe life should be lived intentionally. We believe in a class of artisans and craftsman in control of their work who solve people problems rather than just build more shit. We believe in a sustainable vision of open source, and contribute consistently into the ecosystem.