Styling question + list view bug

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Styling question + list view bug

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ivan
    Participant

Hello. 2 things:

1. Would really like to have the mobile behavior of the calendar be present all the time. Specifically, I want a date picker viewable, with the info for the selected date appearing on the page without a click event to a new page.

This is important, and without it, probably can’t use the calendar so will need a refund.

2. With that, in the settings, under “enable events view” if i select only list, no information displays on the site. In order to remove the error saying there are no events, I MUST select one of the others in order to make it work. This seems to be a bug.

Please let me know if I’m mistaken.

Thank you.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for reaching out! I’ll be happy to help you with this.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by having the mobile behavior all of the time? The default Tribe Bar that appears above the calendar on the events page does have a date picker, and the events show up on the same page after clicking on the date. If you are in list view, you can then see the event title, date and time, excerpt, and a link to see the full event details. Are you looking for something different here?

It sounds like you only want to enable the list view, is that correct? I took a look at your site, and the list view appears to be displaying correctly (although I do see that month is enabled as well). Could you possibly enable only list view and send me a link so that I can take a look?

Can you please share your system information with me as well?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Ivan
    Participant

1. On mobile, the calendar is present with dots beneath the dates to indicate events on that date. Selecting a date shows the info in a list below the calendar without going to a separate page. To see what I”m talking about, simply look at the calendar from a mobile phone. I want that behavior on desktop too, such that the calendar picker is present next to the text, and selecting a date makes the events list change according to that date, but keeps you on that page. Not sure if I can explain it any better. Hopefully that’s enough. I added a mock up of my site design to show you how it should look.

2. The list view issue is happening when in the settings, under “enable events view” if i select only list. When I do that, no information displays on the site. In order to remove the error saying there are no events, I MUST select one of the others in order to make it work. This seems to be a bug. Again, I really don’t know how to better explain it. List works when multiple options under “enable events view” are selected, but if I choose ONLY list, no information displays.

HOME URL
    http://artcalendar.info
    SITE URL
    http://artcalendar.info
    SITE LANGUAGE
    English
    CHARACTER SET
    UTF-8
    NAME
    ivan
    EMAIL
    [email protected]
    INSTALL KEYS
    event-aggregator = 0c25################################2233
    WORDPRESS VERSION
    PHP VERSION
    PHP
    max_execution_time = 30
    memory_limit = 256M
    upload_max_filesize = 64M
    post_max_size = 64M
    display_errors = 1
    log_errors = 1
    SERVER
    Apache
    SAPI
    cgi-fcgi
    PLUGINS
    Google Analytics Dashboard for WP (GADWP) version 5.1.1.1 by Alin Marcu(https://deconf.com)
    The Events Calendar version 4.5.10.1 by Modern Tribe, Inc.(http://m.tri.be/1x)
    NETWORK PLUGINS

MU PLUGINS
    Endurance Page Cache version 1.0 by Mike Hansen(https://www.mikehansen.me/)
    THEME
    artcalendar
    MULTISITE

SETTINGS
    schema-version = 4.5.10.1
    recurring_events_are_hidden = hidden
    previous_ecp_versions =
    Array
    (
    [0] => 0
    )
    latest_ecp_version = 4.5.10.1
    last-update-message-the-events-calendar = 4.5.10.1
    tribeEnableViews =
    Array
    (
    [0] => list
    [1] => month
    )
    tribe_aggregator_default_update_authority = preserve_changes
    tribe_aggregator_default_post_status = publish
    tribe_aggregator_default_category =
    tribe_aggregator_default_show_map = no
    tribe_aggregator_default_csv_post_status =
    tribe_aggregator_default_csv_category =
    tribe_aggregator_default_ical_post_status =
    tribe_aggregator_default_ical_category =
    tribe_aggregator_default_ical_show_map = no
    tribe_aggregator_default_ics_post_status =
    tribe_aggregator_default_ics_category =
    tribe_aggregator_default_ics_show_map = no
    tribe_aggregator_default_facebook_post_status =
    tribe_aggregator_default_facebook_category =
    tribe_aggregator_default_facebook_show_map = no
    tribe_aggregator_default_gcal_post_status =
    tribe_aggregator_default_gcal_category =
    tribe_aggregator_default_gcal_show_map = no
    tribe_aggregator_default_meetup_post_status =
    tribe_aggregator_default_meetup_category =
    tribe_aggregator_default_meetup_show_map = no
    tribe_aggregator_default_url_post_status =
    tribe_aggregator_default_url_category =
    tribe_aggregator_default_url_show_map = no
    tribe_aggregator_default_url_import_range = 2592000
    tribe_aggregator_default_url_import_event_settings = no
    tribe_aggregator_disable =
    donate-link =
    postsPerPage = 10
    liveFiltersUpdate = 1
    showComments =
    showEventsInMainLoop =
    eventsSlug = events
    singleEventSlug = event
    multiDayCutoff = 00:00
    defaultCurrencySymbol = $
    reverseCurrencyPosition =
    embedGoogleMaps =
    embedGoogleMapsZoom = 10
    debugEvents =
    tribe_events_timezone_mode = event
    tribe_events_timezones_show_zone =
    earliest_date = 2017-08-23 00:00:00
    earliest_date_markers =
    Array
    (
    [0] => 389
    )
    latest_date = 2017-10-19 06:00:00
    latest_date_markers =
    Array
    (
    [0] => 358
    )
    front_page_event_archive = 1
    stylesheetOption = tribe
    tribeEventsTemplate = default
    viewOption = month
    tribeDisableTribeBar =
    monthEventAmount = 3
    enable_month_view_cache = 1
    dateWithYearFormat = F j, Y
    dateWithoutYearFormat = F j
    monthAndYearFormat = F Y
    dateTimeSeparator = @
    timeRangeSeparator = –
    datepickerFormat = 0
    tribeEventsBeforeHTML =
    tribeEventsAfterHTML =
    WP TIMEZONE
    Unknown or not set
    WP GMT OFFSET
    Unknown or not set

SERVER TIMEZONE
    UTC
    WP DATE FORMAT
    F j, Y
    WP TIME FORMAT
    g:i a
    WEEK STARTS ON
    COMMON LIBRARY DIR
    /home4/josh/artcalendar.info/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/common/src/Tribe
    COMMON LIBRARY VERSION

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for clarifying. Try adding this to the functions.php file of your child theme:

function tribe_set_month_to_mobile() {
    if( tribe_is_month() ) {
    return 3000;
    }
    }
    add_filter( 'tribe_events_mobile_breakpoint', 'tribe_set_month_to_mobile' );

For the list issue, it looks like you are running an older version of The Events Calendar. Can you try updating to the most recent version (The Events Calendar: 4.5.11, Events Calendar Pro: 4.4.16)? If you don’t see a message to update in your Plugins section, you can do this manually by following these instructions.

If this issue is still there after updating, the next step would be to test for conflicts with your theme and other plugins.

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Ivan
    Participant

Hey! Ok, please read below for several questions and inquiries. Thanks in advance for your help.

First off, that .php snippet worked, except there’s a weird bug-like thing:
    When a date in the future is selected, if you resize the window a bit, or if you move your phone from vertical to horizontal, the date snaps back to ‘today.’ So there’s no way to move the window and stay on a selected future date. Any ideas for a quick fix to that?

Also, I would like to get a few more changes to the plugin, and I’m wondering if you guys could offer support on the following, or if I’d need to hire somebody?

1. REMOVE TEXT DESCRIPTION CHARACTER COUNT
    Currently, the plugin displays a certain amount of text from the item description before it displays a “[…].” I’d like to remove that restriction so that I can truncate with CSS. Wondering if you can make it so there is no limit to the amount of text that is displayed.

2. DISPLAY LOCATION IN EVENT TITLE HEADING
    I would like to display the location name of each event within heading of each event. So, currently, it displays event title, and event time/date, but the location is only viewable after clicking through to that event’s landing page. I’d like each entry to show: Event title, event date/time, event location. So you see all that key info before having to click through to the individual page of that event.

3. DISPLAY UPCOMING DAYS ALWAYS
    Currently, if you select a date that doesn’t have an event, it’s just blank. I would like for, no matter what date is selected, for the subsequent 10 days to appear below that. So, if I selected September 8, and there was nothing, it would still show events from September 9-19 below. (I plan to probably limit that number later, but in css, so I’m saying 10 to cover my bases).

Thanks for your time and effort in helping me achieve the best out of the plugin!!

Ivan

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Ivan.
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Ivan,

Per our forum guidelines, we are limited in the amount of support we can provide for customizations. We do have a list of recommended developers that you could contact for help with the code, but I’ll try to point you in the right direction for each of these customizations.

1. To change the length of the description, take a look at the excerpt_length filter, found at wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/functions/template-tags/general.php.
    2. To display the location in the event heading, you can edit the template (by following the instructions in our themer’s guide), which can be found at wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/views/list/single-event.php. The tribe_get_venue or tribe_get_address functions should help you out here.
    3. To get at least some events to always display (even when there are no events for the day you click on), you can edit the template for the mobile month view (again by following our themer’s guide), which can be found at wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/views/month/mobile.php.

I see what you mean with the selected date snapping back to “today” when the window size is changed. Unfortunately I don’t have any quick fixes for that, but I would recommend taking a look at the mobile month view template for this change as well.

I hope that helps get you started, and please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Ivan
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll look into this. To be clear, whenever there are updates to the plugin, my changes will be overwritten, correct?

How often are there updates to either the calendar or the aggregator?

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Ivan,

If you make changes directly in the plugin files, then they will be overridden when you update the plugins. However, you can copy some of the templates into your child theme (instructions on doing this can be found in the themer’s guide), in which case the plugins will use those templates instead of the default ones, and your changes will be safe during updates.

For the customization to the description, you would do this in your child theme’s functions.php file using the excerpt_length filter, so this customization will also be safe from changes.

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Styling question + list view bug’ is closed to new replies.