Show venue select for all users.

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Show venue select for all users.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Karen Newman
    Participant

I have my events submission form set up to allow anonymous users to submit events. When a user who is not logged in goes to the page, they see all the fields for venue information. I would like to display the select list of all the venues that also gives them the ability to add new venues. The issue I’m running into is that when people submit events, they have to re-enter all the venue information, which results in having many duplicate records. Can I show the venue select list for all users with all the venues and if so, how do I go about doing that?

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

In other words, are you looking to have users only select from already created venues?  If you’d also like to allow them the ability to create new venues, the functionality that you see is pretty much what can be done out of the box.

If you’d like to prevent users from adding new venues, you can try implementing the solutions provided in the following forum thread:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/venue-selection/

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Jaime

Karen Newman
    Participant

Right, I want them to be able to select existing venues and also have the option to add new ones. I want this for anonymous users, however, when an anonymous comes to the form, all they see is the form fields to enter a new venue, no select list with the add new option. You can see it here, https://cabarruscounty.staging.wpengine.com/events/event-submission/add.

Hi Karen,

As a first step, let’s try to rule out if there is some type of conflict at play.
    This is usually because of:

• A conflict with another plugin
    • A conflict with your WordPress theme
    • A template customization for the Events Calendar that requires updating

When it comes to that type of issue, it is preferable to troubleshoot in a staging environment if you have one.

A first quick test is to simply temporarily revert back to a default WordPress theme such as twenty-sixteen to see if the issue persists.

The next step would be to go through our testing for conflicts procedure and let us know what you find out.

Basically the goal here is to revert back to a bare WordPress installation to see if the problem persists. It also allows us to pinpoint what the cause of the issue is.

But, before you do that, there are 2 things I would advise:

• Make a backup of your database
    • Consider activating a “Maintenance Page” plugin if you are doing this on your live site (to minimize impact on your visitors)

Let me know how that goes!

Thanks,

Jaime

Karen Newman
    Participant

So I updated two tribe event plugins, disabled all plugins except for tribe ones, and changed the theme to a default WordPress one and the select list showed. I changed back to my theme and it still shows. Not sure what was going on.

The ability to create a venue is there, but you have to type create in the select lists search. Is there a way to have create show as the first option?

Hi Karen,

It looks like functionality for venues has been restored to the default:

What are you hoping to see there instead?

You can also merge duplicate venues under Events Settings < General.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Jaime

Karen Newman
    Participant

Right, this is what I want to see, however it is not clear to a user that you have to type “create” in the select list’s search box to add a new venue. Is there a way to add a select list option that would always be shown first called “create” to the select list?

Hi Karen,

You don’t have to type “Create” in order to create a new venue.  You can just start typing and if a venue doesn’t appear that is similar, you can hit Enter and a blank form for a new venue will appear.

I do understand what you are looking for though.

After reviewing your request this essentially looks like a custom development task and so is outside of our stated scope of support.

With that being said, we’d love to help point you in the right direction.

I’d recommend starting off by taking a look at our Themer’s Guide, which can show you which templates can be edited and copied in order to attempt the results that you are looking for.

If you’d prefer not to tackle this customization on your own, we may be able to assist you further. We do need to prioritize support requests from other customers at this time but I’ll certainly flag this with the team and – although we can’t make any promises – if we have time and space to come back and help, we’ll be happy to do so.  Please let us know if you’d like to go this route so that you can be added to this queue.

In the meantime, if there is any more information you can share (including mocks) that will help us to better understand what you are seeking please do feel free to add them to this ticket.

If you urgently need help with this, however, you may instead wish to consider working with a suitably skilled developer or designer who can offer the additional level of support you require.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this topic!

Thanks,

Jaime

Karen Newman
    Participant

Thanks Jamie. I think I’ll leave it as is for now. I am running into a new issue. I have single geography mode set and I also have defaults set in Events > Settings > Default Content for both country and state, however when I submit the form, it does not set the venue country and state the the defaults I have set.

Hi Karen,

Okay, sounds good.

As far as this other issue goes, are you referring to default content not sticking when using the Community Events form?

If so, you may want to try to implement the suggestion outlined in the following forum thread:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/disable-country/

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Jaime

Karen Newman
    Participant

That didn’t work and that post is also from 2015. The template, from what I can see is completely different. I also noticed that when I edit the “venue-fields.php” file located in my theme at tribe-events/community/modules that my changes do not show. Is this the file that is being used when creating a new venue form the select list?

Hi Karen,

I’m sorry to hear that did not work for you.

Just to confirm, are you referring to default content not sticking when using the Community Events form?

If so, this may be a bug, and I’d like to investigate further.

Let me know!

Thanks,

Jaime

Karen Newman
    Participant

Yes. On the community settings page I have “single geography mode” checked. On the defaults settings page I set the country and state. When you go to the public facing community events form and create a new venue, you don’t see the country of state field because single geography mode is active. After submitting an event with a new venue via the public facing community event form, one would think that the default country and state would automatically be saved with the new venue, however, it isn’t when you look at the venue in the admin section.

Hi Karen,

Okay, I see what you mean.

The reason for this is so that you have the option to alter those fields on your own, so they do not carry over to the venue itself.

Enabling single geography mode will remove the fields, but will not populate them.

Does that make sense?

Let me know if you have any other questions on this topic!

Thanks,

Jaime

Karen Newman
    Participant

Interesting. Seems strange that I can tell the form to not show country and state but it won’t automatically fill in that information based on the defaults that are set. Kind of confusing.

In one of my other replies I had said “I also noticed that when I edit the “venue-fields.php” file located in my theme at tribe-events/community/modules that my changes do not show. Is this the file that is being used when creating a new venue from the select list?”

Is my thinking correct that if I edit the module in my theme, it should be used by the plugin or is that fields file only used for editing an event on the public facing site?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Show venue select for all users.’ is closed to new replies.