Recurring events problem

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring events problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Joanna
    Participant

Hi there,

Hope you had a good break 🙂

I am having a weird problem with some all day recurring events. I have read through some help posts that seem similar and have run through the conflict check procedure you recommend but it still happens.

Here’s the problem. Yesterday I noticed that one of my all day recurring events that should have been appearing once every day for a few months was actually accumulating – it showed once on the first day, twice on the second day, three times on the third day etc, right up to 40 times on the 40th day etc etc. I thought it was weird as it was information I had entered a while back (months ago) but I just entered the information again as a new event and it showed up without problem in the Month View so I deleted the first entry and thought nothing more of it.

Today I entered some more all day recurring events and the same thing happened for some but not all of them. I figured it was some sort of bug and reentered the information, checked it in Month View and again, and thought no more of it. Then I was checking through some Day Views and noticed another all day recurring event that was showing up as three or four entries when it should only have been listed once. I reentered the information but this time to check it was fixed I looked at the Day View (instead of the Month View as I had previously). The event was now not showing at all. I went into Month View to check it and it was showing fine. It also showed up in List View. I then noticed that in Month View, the total number of events in a day (as shown at the bottom of each day) does not tally with the number of events being shown in the relevant Day View. For example, one day in Month View says “View all 12 Events” and when I click on that link the Day View only shows 10 events. I think the missing two are both events that were accumulating and that I had reentered.

I cannot see a link between the missing events (and part of the problem is I cannot remember exactly which events were affected) except that they were all All Day events and all used the Recurrence Rules box, although some recur on specific dates and some recur for a consecutive period of days. I also notice that there are All Day events that recur in the same way that are unaffected. I just can’t see a pattern in which events were affected.

I have set up Tester entries and have found the following:

– Event entered with no recurrence – event shows in all views
    – Event entered with specific date recurrences – events show in all views
    – Event entered with Every Day recurrence – event shows in Month View and List View but not Day View
    – Event entered with Every Week recurrence – event shows in Month View and List View. It shows in Day View on the date given first (in the Start Date and Time box) but not for dates given in the Recurrence Rules box
    – Event entered with Every Month recurrence – event shows OK
    – Event entered with Custom recurrence – tried a couple of combinations and events seem to show OK

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks for your help.
    Jo

Cliff

Hi, Jo. Sorry you’re experiencing this.

I’d first suggest making sure your WordPress General Settings have the timezone set.

If that doesn’t help… this isn’t currently a known issue so I’d suggest following these recommended troubleshooting steps for your own site:

There might be some new updates available. Could you please make sure all your Modern Tribe plugins (and WordPress core) are at their latest versions?

Once you verify you’re on the latest versions, please test to see if the issue is still happening for you.

If it is, please follow our Testing for Conflicts Guide (basically switch to Twenty Sixteen theme and deactivate all plugins and custom code other than Modern Tribe plugins) and see if that helps narrow down the cause of this.

If it doesn’t, please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG and share any debug messages you see while changing tickets quantity, navigating your site’s home page, events page, single-event pages, and any other of your site’s pages relevant to this ticket.

Then, please share your System Information (while in Testing for Conflicts Mode). That will give me a lot of extra information to help diagnose the problem.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

Joanna
    Participant

Hey,

Thanks for your help. Timezone is set to London and the plugins all seem to be up to date.

I stripped back to the 2016 Theme (and the 2014 Theme) yesterday and deactivated all plugins (except The Events Calendar and PRO). Unfortunately, even after clearing the cache the problem was still there. I tried again this evening and it is still happening exactly as I found yesterday (except I have made a tweak to point 3):

1. Event entered with no recurrence – event shows in all views
    2. Event entered with specific date recurrences – events show in all views
    3. Event entered with Every Day recurrence – event shows in Month View and List View. It shows in Day View on the date given first (in the Start Date and Time box) but not for dates given in the Recurrence Rules box
    4. Event entered with Every Week recurrence – event shows in Month View and List View. It shows in Day View on the date given first (in the Start Date and Time box) but not for dates given in the Recurrence Rules box
    5. Event entered with Every Month recurrence – event shows OK
    6. Event entered with Custom recurrence – tried a couple of combinations and events seem to show OK

I’ve never done any debugging before and have little knowledge of coding or developing. I’ve read the link you sent and I think I can just about understand what it is asking me to do but I can’t find the wp-config.php file. This might be a stupid question but is there a plugin I can get to simplify this?

Jo

Cliff

Jo, thanks for that thorough report.

I was able to reproduce the issue with All Day Events on Day View.

I’ll mark this ticket as Pending Fix, which means this thread should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now. They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.

I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Joanna
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Cliff.
    I’m glad you managed to reproduce the issue. I understand what you are saying about the development team but could you let me know roughly whether we are talking days, weeks or months please.
    Jo

Cliff

I understand having a timeframe can help you plan how to deal with this issue.

While it’s not helpful for me to guess at it, I can tell you that it’s the type of bug that should probably get some decent attention to be fixed (because events are not showing up!)

You should also reference our Release Schedule information page to get a feel for how we do fixes. Basically, nothing is ever fixed in “days” unless it’s so big it deserves its own separate release, which we call a “hotfix”.

Therefore, my best guess is either sometime before the end of the year or maybe in January 2017 or later. Again, I have no concrete information to go off of; I’m just sharing that I’m fairly certain it won’t be within 2 weeks and it might be as soon as end of January 2017 (but I can’t promise anything).

I’m not exactly sure which version this bug was introduced in, but you might want to downgrade to a previous version if this is mission-critical for you.

Thanks for understanding.

Nico

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that this issue (all day daily recurring events not showing in day view) seems to be fixed in the current version of the plugins. Before declining the ticket we would like to know if you are still experiencing said bug with latest versions of our plugins, to be sure we are not missing something here.

Please let me know about it,
    Best,
    Nico

Joanna
    Participant

Hey Nico,

Thanks for getting back to me. It does seem like this issue is fixed! Thanks for that.

The weird thing is that I saw your message by coincidence after opening the Support Forum to tell you that a load (about 15 I have found so far) of recurring events have suddenly dropped out of my calendar. They do not show up in my calendar despite showing there last week and the entries all being correct and with an expiry date in the future.

I have fixed the immediate problem by going into the Edit Event screen for each event and clicking ‘Update’ without changing anything else (except deleting all of the automatically generated exception dates and adding today’s date as the new start date).

I can’t tell you anymore than that so I guess this report is a little pointless! It’s a real pain though, as you can imagine.

Jo

Nico

Thanks for following up Jo! Stocked to hear the original issue is fixed 🙂

Your new report sounds scaring! Unfortunately as you say there’s not much we can do unless you can isolate the issue and get more info about it.

(except deleting all of the automatically generated exception dates and adding today’s date as the new start date)

Can you give me more details about the above please?

Have you updated the plugins recently? Where the rules in this event created with an older version of the plugins? Only thing I can think of is an issue while ‘migrating / updating’ the recurrence rules of the event. It’s just a guess based on what you say, not a know bug right now.

Anyway let me know if you are interested in looking into this a bit more,
    Best,
    Nico

Joanna
    Participant

Hi Nico,

I have had a think about this but can’t see any pattern behind when this issue is occurring. I found another example yesterday and the same fix (updating the event without making changes) made the event reappear as normal. At the time of writing I had recently updated the plug in and also installed an update last week so maybe it was caused by that. I will let you know if it happens with any of the events I update this week.

There is one other strange thing that has been happening all year and I figured was part of the same recurring event issue that started this whole thread. Sometimes when I set up a recurring event the plug in adds a random exception or list of exceptions. Sometimes it is the last day of the series. Sometimes it is every day in the series and sometimes random dates from the series. Is this a known issue? The reason I ask is it happened again this morning (after the initial issue was fixed). I added an event that recurred every day from today to 6 October and when I checked the saved event an exception of 6 October had been added. I will try to see a pattern in it but thought I check with you first.

Thanks,
    Jo

Joanna
    Participant

Hi again,

Just to let you know another exception was automatically added this morning. I definitely did not add it myself. I have taken a screen shot in case it helps you. Nothing about this event is different from others I have been adding this morning, except for those fields shown in the screen shot (all settings are the same). I am going to start checking each event I add for randomly added exceptions. I will keep a list of any I find and try to work out if there is a pattern.

Jo

Joanna
    Participant

Hi again,

I have added about ten events this morning. An exception has been added to 4 of these and only to events that recur. An exception has not been added to every recurring event and I cannot see anything that distinguishes events that have an exception added from events that have not. All of the affected events have been set to recur daily with a set end date and for a set time of the day (ie not as an All Day event) although this has also been true of unaffected events. It does not matter how long the period of recurrence is or the time or date that they start – this information has been different for each of the events that have been affected.

I have noticed one thing that may help you though – the exceptions are not added when the event is first created. By that I mean that when I click the Publish button and the event saves, I have never seen an exception added on the screen that comes up next (the one that has ‘event published’ at the top), whether before or after the recurring data has all been created or after refreshing that page. I only find exceptions have been added when I go back into an existing event.

The other thing I have noticed is that the exception is almost always created to exclude the last day of the series. If I delete the exception that has been created it generally stays deleted but on one occasion another exception was generated that was on a date in the middle of the series.

I hope that makes sense. I’ll let you know if I notice anything else.

Jo

Nico

This reply is private.

Joanna
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring events problem’ is closed to new replies.