Question about tags

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Question about tags

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark

We currently have a free version of the plugin and are considering purchasing a license. However, we are running into an issue with tags. When we click on the tag in an event, it goes to a page that says “Sorry, No Posts Found,” even though there are several events with the tag. This page’s URL is domain.com/calendar/tag/name-of-the-tag

The URL domain.com/calendar/events/tag/name-of-the-tag displays no results either.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reaching out!

I did some testing and was not able to recreate the issue, and I also took a look at our current bug reports but did not see anything related to using tags. My first recommendation would be to test for conflicts with your theme and other plugins, and also to check if you have a similar issue with tags for other post types besides events. That should help in narrowing down the source of the problem.

Making sure you are running the most current versions (The Events Calendar is at 4.5.8) is also important!

Finally, purchasing a license would give you access to our premium support forums, where we are able to provide in-depth support that we unfortunately are not able to provide here in our Pre-Sales forum. You can however post in our community forum over on wordpress.org, which we review weekly to check for bug reports.

I hope that helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Mark

Thanks, Jennifer. The tag system seems to work with regular posts. Here’s an example of an event post where the tag doesn’t work: http://minesdevdev2.wpengine.com/calendar/event/chemistry-seminar-series-anne-co/

If you click on “Chemistry” tag you will only see the test blog post I created and tagged Chemistry, but not the two events with the same tag.

We’ve turned off the plugins one by one to test this. We’d like to be able to create RSS feeds by tag to use the event listings on other sites, so we’d like to be able to have this function before committing.

Thanks!

Mark

Any further info on this? We are getting ready to purchase a license, but would like some more clarification. Thank you.

Mark

I was able to find some code that I added to our theme’s functions.php file that includes custom post types in tag queries.

For example, the page http://minesdevdev2.wpengine.com/calendar/events/tag/chemistry/ is now populated with calendar events.

Is this the way to go? Is it not built into the plugin?

The issue remains, however, that the tag links in an individual event are going to the wrong URL. For example, the tag links on http://minesdevdev2.wpengine.com/calendar/event/chemistry-seminar-series-smaranda-c-marinescu/ go to /calendar/tags, without “events,” so it only shows blog posts and not calendar events.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

I’m sorry about the delayed response here, but thank you for posting that update…I was doing some testing on my end, as I was a bit surprised that you were getting results for the default “chemistry” tag when I believe the “chemistry” tag you added to your events is an event tag.

WordPress taxonomies (like post tags) typically don’t apply to custom post types (like events) by default, but there are (relatively simple) ways to apply them to events, as it sounds like you did with the code you found. Events have a custom taxonomy that applies only to events, which is helpful for displaying events around your site and on your calendar by tag. So even if you have two posts (such as a standard post and an event) each with the a “chemistry” tag, they don’t typically display together unless a modification has been made for them to do so. Does that make sense?

Basically, there are ways to use default taxonomies on custom post types, and custom taxonomies on default post types, but both require a bit of a customization. We are not currently able to perform customizations, but our themer’s guide has some great info on customizing our plugins. For premium license holders, we are happy to answer questions and help point you in the right direction in our premium support forums.

Regarding the URL…have you changed the default slug for events under Events > Settings > General (default is events)? If so, I would recommend going under Settings > Permalinks and clicking “Save” after making this change to refresh the permalinks. Another possibility is that there is a URL-related conflict somewhere (have you tried testing for conflicts with your theme and other plugins?) that could be causing this.

I understand that you want to make sure the plugin works the way you’d like it to before purchasing, but please note that our Pre-Sales forum here is intended to answer questions regarding things like plugin features and pricing. We are not able to offer support here, but you can always post in our community forum and in our premium support forums (for in-depth support, after purchasing a license).

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Mark Ramirez
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

We’ve purchased a license (two licenses, actually) so I am hoping to receive some more support: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/tag-issues/

We haven’t changed the default Events URL slug, and we’ve turned off the plugins one by one as well.

I guess my question is, is it working the way it’s supposed to or no? What am I supposed to see, or where am I supposed to go (URL) when I click on a tag in an event?

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Thanks for purchasing those licenses!

It sounds like it is working as intended. By default, the event taxonomies are separate from the standard post taxonomies, so the categories/tags that show up on an event page would link to a page that show all events with that category/tag, but not any posts. It is possible to change this with a customization however. While we are not currently able to do customizations for you, we would be happy to point you in the right direction!

We do have an option that allows you to include events in the main blog loop, but the tags will still work the same way. I would also recommend taking a look at this post on event categories.

If you need any assistance with making changes, could you please post in our support forum (including a link to this thread) and the details on exactly how you’d like it to work, and we will see what we can recommend!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Mark Ramirez
    Participant

I am confused. When you go to an event post, and click a tag in that event post, are you not supposed to see all the events with that tag, including the event you were just viewing? Because we are just getting blank pages, as I showed in that link I shared.

Mark Ramirez
    Participant
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Yes, when you click on an event category/tag from an event page, you should get a list of all of the events with that category/tag. For example on this event that you just linked to, when you click on the category “Lectures and Seminars”, you get a list of several events with that category.

Have you tried refreshing your permalink settings by going to Settings > Permalinks and clicking “Save Changes”?

I see that Victor is helping you out over in this thread in our support forums, so I am going to go ahead and close out this thread here in Pre-Sales. We’ll continue helping you out with this over there!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Question about tags’ is closed to new replies.