Missing month header, missing tooltip, missing date – no venue up front

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Missing month header, missing tooltip, missing date – no venue up front

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Catherine
    Participant

I set up my calendars without a problem, until I realized there was no venue showing on the listings (not an unusual request considering it’s a calendar and that would be the second thing a person would look for after the date….the response your end was you don’t want to make things cluttered) This was not an unreasonable thing to expect out of the box. Three times I got the same code to add to remedy this. Didn’t work.

Most pressing thing now however is half the calendar header missing and now there’s no date on the listings

http://irishculturebayarea.com/?post_type=tribe_events

No tooltip at all, and formatting off on listings (Text extreme left)

Original problem was no venue on tooltip and now that’s least of my worries.

How can I start all over? I repeat I am (clearly) not a developer. Just a simple user.

This has caused big problems – and I feel like I am spamming these forums as I keep getting useless replies. I really, really need help. Have been begging for weeks!

George
    Participant

Hi Catherine,

I’m sorry you’ve been having trouble and frustration here. There are several different things to address here so I’ll lay them out numerically just to keep everything tidy and organized.

1. You mention that you’ve posted on these several times – though it seem tedious, can you please share links to every other support topic you’ve posted already? I’m just curious about what sort of response you’ve been getting and such.

2. Regarding Venues being in the tooltips, you mention that you received custom code for this three separate times and it is not working. While it’s true that Venues are not included in tooltips by default, and that it would require customizing code, and that we can only provide limited support for customizing code, I think the best thing for now would be to hold off on trying to solve this problem until your other problems are handled and we can ensure your calendar is working correctly otherwise. Then we can help out with customizations a bit.

Okay, so speaking of getting the calendar working, let’s get down to your specific issues with the calendar’s functionality:

3. You mention that “half of the calendar header is missing” – I’m sorry if this is something obvious, but can you clarify exactly what you mean by this? Do you mean that the title text above your calendars is cut off, it seems, like in this screenshot? → https://cloudup.com/cngniW5xCfd If so, then I’m curious: what is that text supposed to say? “Events for X”, what is X supposed to be? And how did you configure this text to say “Events for X”?

4. As for there being no dates on your listings, I see this problem intermittently on a random events like this one → http://irishculturebayarea.com/event/dancing-redwood-cafe-cotati/2015-03-04/

• 4a) When did this issue start appearing?
    • 4b) Was there any change on your site you made immediately before this issue started showing up? Any plugin updates, plugin installations, theme changes, customizations to code anywhere, anything?

5. Finally, here are some pieces of information I’m curious about, and they’ll help us a lot if you can share them:

• 5a) What version of The Events Calendar and any other add-ons, like Events PRO or Community Events, are currently active on your site?
    • 5b) What version of WordPress are you currently running?
    • 5c) What other plugins are active on your site? List each one if possible.
    • 5d) Do any errors pop up on your site if you head to your site’s wp-config.php file and change this line of code:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

to this:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

There’s a lot of information here, but hopefully numbering it all here helps to keep things organized. If you want to address one point at a time, hopefully we can work through the source of your problems and get things working reliably on your site.

Thank you,
    George

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by George.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by George.
    Catherine
    Participant

1) If it’s OK I can’t spend time on this right now but will later – this is the busiest time of the year for Irish events as you can imagine and I have sent this out to lots to see if this community project is effective and it’s proven to be soooo stressful I can’t tell you – so I need to spend every available minute trying to fix this
    2) OK, fine to leave that – wish I’d never brought it up in the first place – although I can’t believe it’s not a feature as it is on every other calendar out there (without exception)
    3) Of course it should read “Events for March” “Events for April” and so on…and it had. I’m not sure exactly when this dropped off. All I changed around that time was the default template setting as I wasn’t getting the day names on top of calendar, and the week was starting on Monday and that solved that problem, and around then I noticed the missing months header…that’s a problem as folks can’t see straight off which month it is. I didn’t configure anything.
    4)It’s not intermittent or random, the date is missing on ALL listings. I can’t say exactly when this happened.

All Events 3.9.1 updated, Pro, Community, basic
    Latest Wordpres 4.11
    Mail Poet plugin
    I will try that code

So, yes forget about venue up front, here’s 3 priority and URGENT needs as this is circulating and causing enormous stress

1) get event dates back
    2) get back that tooltip that I always had (disappeared same time as half the month header)It made the calendar look so much nicer
    3) get header reading fully – “Events for …”

George
    Participant

Hey Catherine,

Thanks for addressing the various points of your issues. Some of your issues are odd and I’m trying to think of what could be causing them…it’s hard to say without further troubleshooting.

For starters, can you see if any errors pop up on your site if you head to your site’s wp-config.php file and change this line of code:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

to this:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);?

That will display PHP errors on your site if any exist, which can be very helpful.

Thanks,
    George

Catherine
    Participant

I have changed that in wp-config.php
    thanks, now what?

George
    Participant

Are there any PHP errors that displayed on your site after changing that?

What issues now remain on your site?

— George

Catherine
    Participant

no difference in any way.

Don’t see errors but issues remain:

1) half header is missing, reads “Events for…” than blank on header
    2) tooltip is missing
    3) date gone on all events when you click on them
    3b) formatting off on individual events – no inset with text etc.,

take a look – http://irishculturebayarea.com/?post_type=tribe_events
    irishculturebayarea.com

thanks

Catherine
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Okay, thanks for the update Catherine.

I’m curious, what do you find if you run through the steps laid out in this knowledgebase article? → https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/

Let us know what you find – your issues seem related to a conflict stemming from your theme or another plugin.

— George

Catherine
    Participant

but then problems wouldn’t continue when I activate a different theme, right?
    Issues continue when I use a basic theme, and when I deactivate each plugin. So what’s left I’m wondering. All I can try now is to delete plugins and start from scratch but I need to find out if there will be issues getting another license or whatever

George
    Participant

Hey Catherine,

You do not need to delete any plugins at the moment, and getting another license here will not change anything.

Just to be clear, have you activated a default theme and followed each of the steps listed in that article I linked you to? If not, please go through them one by one – if you get to the point on your site where The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO are the only plugins active on your site, and a default theme like Twenty Thirteen or Twenty Twelve is active on your site, leave your site in this state and let us know about it – we will go check out your site again in this state and see what we can learn.

Thank you for your patience thus far,
    George

Catherine
    Participant

Yes, yes I have! I just did it (again for umpteenth time) and those missing bits are still missing.

I could do it again now so you could see it, but it would have to be a very short time as it’s live – and well, tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day and there’s hopefully a bit of traffic on the calendar

Catherine
    Participant

OK http://irishculturebayarea.com/events/

I changed it out again and deactivated Community Cal this time and now have got tooltip back and date on individual listings back, Still missing half header tho.

can leave it for a few minutes if yu happen to be there
    http://irishculturebayarea.com/events/

Catherine
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Catherine,

Thanks for investigating conflicts. Just to be clear, what is “Community Cal”? Do you mean our own “Community Events” add-on, or another plugin? If you mean another plugin, can you link to where you found this online?

And so, in a default theme, with “Community Cal” deactivated, some of your problems go away? That’s indeed interesting.

Unfortunately, it’s hard to narrow down the source of things here. I’d be curious if you can leave your site in a state where a default theme like Twenty Twelve is active, and all plugins on your site except The Events Calendar and any Events add-ons are deactivated. Is this possible? Even for just 24 hours?

Thanks,
    George

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • The topic ‘Missing month header, missing tooltip, missing date – no venue up front’ is closed to new replies.