Missing month header, missing tooltip, missing date – no venue up front

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Missing month header, missing tooltip, missing date – no venue up front

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Catherine
    Participant

Yes, I meant your “The Events Calendar: Community Events” Last think I’d do is add yet another plug in!

One of the issues goes away with this deactivated and in Twenty Fifteen theme. The others all remain.

I cannot switch out the theme for long as I have this whole site out under scrutiny and looking for sponsorship – that’s why it’s been so stressful not being able to fix this. I am trying to find affordable help.

thanks

George
    Participant

Hey Catherine,

I can relate to your stress and am sorry you’re dealing with that right now – your issues are quite odd in how they’re manifesting, so your patience while we try to figure out the culprits is greatly appreciate. For now, can you address these three points?

1. What specific issue goes away with Twenty Fifteen enabled?

2. Also, have you made any code customizations in any place on your site?

3. Finally, for now, can you verify server permissions for us? This is something that you may need to reach out to your web hosting provider for help with, but basically, the directories running WordPress should all have their permissions at 755, recursively, and all owned by the web server. If this is not something you’re familiar, contact your hosting provider support for this. If the permissions are not at these settings, see if they can set it to them and if that helps.

Thank you!
    George

Catherine
    Participant

Thanks George,
    Here are the issues again, below. Like I said the only one that is remedied by using another theme and deactivating the community events calendar is 2) tooltip. All other problems remain with every variation of activation on default theme.

1) half header is missing, reads “Events for…” than blank on header
    2) tooltip is missing
    3) date gone on all events when you click on them
    3b) formatting off on individual events – no inset with text etc.,

No customizations – I wouldn’t know how.

Thanks
    Catherine

Catherine
    Participant

I need to contact hosting re permissions so will see if there is anything amiss there.

George
    Participant

Hey Catherine,

Your issues are quite odd, especially since you nothing was customized. Is there any chance another team member or developer or something might have made customizations, or at least altered files, on your site?

The reason I ask is because another developer on our team, Barry, took a look at your issues and reported some odd behavior he found. For example, the following JavaScript error on your calendar page:

uncaught exception: TemplateError: ReferenceError: dateDisplay is not defined (on tribe_tmpl_tooltip line 6)

This would indicate that something along the lines of [[=dateDisplay]] exists inside month/tooltip.php in the core plugin files, or in tribe-events/month/tooltip.php in your theme – can you check both places and see if you indeed do find something like [[=dateDisplay]]?

After you report on that, can you also share what your date format settings are for The Events Calendar? You can find these options in Events > Settings > Display in your admin, take a screenshot of the whole “Date Format” section like I did in this screenshot → https://cloudup.com/cqxwL1tBo70

Let us know what you find on both things!

Thanks,
    George

Catherine
    Participant

Hi George,
    I copied exactly your date format – and got the month header back! Hallelujiah.
    This will likely eliminate that error Barry spotted?

Phew, one issue down.

There is noone else working on this (wish there was). All I can think of is that when I set up the calendar, by default there were no weekday names on top of each day (I changed from “default page template” to “default events template” and got that back) Then I realized the default week calendar started on Monday, instead of the U.S. usual Sunday. I was happy to figure out how to get the format changed at the time for week to start on Sunday (now can’t find where that is exactly) Anyway, that missing date was a date format issue.

Next up, is missing tooltip (only way I can get that to work is when I use a default theme (Twenty Fifteen) and deactivate the Community events calendar.

Then after that, the formatting when you view an individual date’s event: it used to have a nice inset (clearance) from left side and now it’s lost that. Not the biggest problem but it had looked better, so if you’ve any ideas about that. stylesheet somewhere?

Anyway, thank you, thank you for helping get that date back – wish I had been directed there earlier. Can you let Rob know?

Catherine
    Participant

Oh I know what that code is/was – this was a plugin (but it’s deactivated) that Gustavo sent me

The Events Calendar: Snippet 939516

You see, when I first got the calendar I had (innocently) asked how to get a venue showing as it seemed a critical part of a calendar. At that stage I actually had a tooltip, and thought it might be not so difficult to add a venue up front. Gustavo was the first one to try to help me with this. He suggested to add a snippet to functions.php and snippet to tooltip.php. I did this, it didn’t work BUT I reverted to how it was in the first place (and have checked and double-checked that). He later sent me a plugin that I tried but didn’t work either. That plugin is deactivated but maybe Barry saw that at some point of rejigging. So that explains that one.

Ultimately I’d like to have a venue show (as I think it’s the second most important thing after the date when a visitor is looking at events. Anyway I’ve stated my case on this before so won’t go on. But just so you know this is why the whole sorry series of events started!

In the meantime let me know if you have any ideas re tooltip retrieval.

Thanks again
    Catherine

George
    Participant

Hey Catherine,

Okay, thanks for clarifying some things. So, the current state of affairs is that:

1. The missing month name issue is fixed.
    2. The styles are a bit different, but we can address this later, a simple fix.
    3. The tooltip-related issues are gone if you ensure Gustavo’s plugin deactivated and you ensure all your plugin files are un-modified at their original “out-of-the-box” state.

Is this an accurate summary of where things stand on your site? Again, we can proceed with further tweaking and styles stuff after this from here, I just want to get to a “clean” point where there aren’t any actual problems remaining – maybe requests and customizations, but nothing actually broken as expected.

Let me know if this where we are currently at!

Thanks,
    George

Catherine
    Participant

The missing tooltip issue remains (that plugin from Gustavo I mentioned was his attempt to get the venue up front – so ignore that. I have no tooltip.

Catherine
    Participant

and meanwhile if it’s a quick fix for formatting you might suggest what that might be
    thanks!

previously there was a margin/inset of text, not like here

Speaker Mark Hertsgaard on Winning the Climate Fight, Portola Valley

George
    Participant

Hey Catherine,

In regards to the padding on the single event listings, here’s a basic example of some code that might help:

.tribe-events-single.vevent.hentry {
        padding: 2em !important;
    }

I had to use such specific selectors and !important there to override some styles coming from your theme. If you want to extend this customization to other parts of your site, or make other little CSS tweaks, definitely check out out a tool like Firebug if you use FireFox, or the Developer Tools for either Safari or Chrome – if I’ve recommended these before to you, sorry to repeat myself, but they’re extremely helpful!

Okay, now as for the tooltips, I found some CSS stemming from your theme that sets an overflow:hidden; rule on everything with some pretty generic class names. To override this, try adding the following CSS to the bottom of your theme’s style.css file, and let me know if it helps your Month View tooltips display:

.hentry.tribe_events {
        overflow: visible !important;
    }

You may not have any actual HTML or PHP problems with your tooltips after all, and it literally could just be a CSS issue like I described here.

Let us know if this helps!

Thanks,
    George

Catherine
    Participant

Yay George – I added that CSS to style.css – and ta da, tooltip’s back

I tried the padding code on the single-event.php and didn’t make a difference. Any other ideas on how to get this padding back? It was there once, as was tooptip – so not sure how all this happened.

Then all that remains is the original problem getting the venue to show up front along with date and time on tooltip

Progress though, and thanks!

George
    Participant

Progress? I thought tooltips wew the biggest issue here! 🙂 I’m really happy to hear those are working for you now, thanks for the update Catherine.

One thing to point out is that the venues showing up in the tooltips is not quite a problem, but rather a feature/customization request that’s a bit outside the scope of the support forums here. The thing is though, now that we’ve resolved the CSS issue with tooltips and they’re showing up now, I’d recommend trying out Gustavo’s original solution again – see what you find, and keep us posted.

As for the padding, this is another customization request, but the following CSS – although only slightly different than the CSS I posted above, should work if you place it at the bottom of your theme’s style.css file.

For further CSS tweaks on your site, check out the tools I mentioned above: Firebug if you use FireFox, or the Developer Tools for either Safari or Chrome. They’re all free and come with an Inspector tool that’s quite handy in making these customizations yourself as you see fit.

Let us know what you find!

Thanks,
    George

Catherine
    Participant

Thanks George – did you mean to add some code there?

The individual events did not look like that in the first place so I don’t think this is a feature or customization – just an error or something gone amiss (it was fine before). Also the header, date, tooltip was there in the first place too. It was when I tried to get that darned venue info up that all this happened.

So after I get this fixed (the text formatting that used to look fine) then I will be back at square one, after a long six weeks. I’m VERY thankful to you for helping me get those issues fixed

George
    Participant

Hey Catherine,

I’m very sorry about that, the code I was trying to share was the following:

#tribe-events-content.vevent.hentry {
        padding: 2em !important;
    }

As for the tooltip, the CSS that was keeping them hidden is not from any venue-related code shared by Gustavo or otherwise – it’s possible another theme update or plugin or something else made this CSS only start taking effect recently, causing the apparent problems, but it was something emanating from your theme’s core stylesheets that needed to be overridden. Similarly, there isn’t anything in Gustavo’s code that would alter the appearance of single events.

The code above should help with the single events display, but if not, leave the CSS itself at the bottom of your theme’s style.css file and let us know when you’ve made those changes. We’ll take a closer look at the styles live and see why they’re not taking hold.

Finally, for now, can you also let us know if you re-activate Gustavo’s original code solution? And what you find?

Thanks for your continued patience here,
    George

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • The topic ‘Missing month header, missing tooltip, missing date – no venue up front’ is closed to new replies.