Google Calendar ICS Scheduled Imports Hung on "Import Pending"

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Google Calendar ICS Scheduled Imports Hung on "Import Pending"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Justin
    Participant

Hello,

We have had many issues with the event aggregator since purchasing which have many times been fixed and then broke again with next update.

First, our scheduled imports stopped running;

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/scheduled-imports-not-working-2/

Then the imports started working but all events start duplicating;

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/duplicate-events-from-google-calendar-2/
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/duplicate-events-imported-from-google-calendar-me-too/

Then event duplication is fixed, but imports are broke again;

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/import-failed-to-queued-up-for-importing/

I believe everything was fine for a while after – no duplicates and scheduled imports working fine. It is hard to remember exactly which versions it started working. I believe event calendar version was 4.5.11.

Then 4.5.12 was released and both scheduled imports started duplicating again, but very soon after a patch was released, 4.5.12.1, which stopped duplicated, but broke imports again with manual imports giving error “Import failed: The import being fetched is not queued up for importing. Please try the import again.”. Soon after patch 4.5.12.2 came out fixing manual imports, but scheduled imports are still stuck in “Import Pending”.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Justin,

Thank you for reaching out!

I’m sorry about all the frustration Event Aggregator has caused you so far. It is rather a complicated thing.

As you can see by the number of releases and hotfixes, we are continuously working heavily on squashing bugs, fixing glitches and improving the quality of the service in general.

As a matter of fact, we have pushed some fixes to our EA server earlier today – nothing visible on your side, don’t need to update – which is addressing some of these issues.

Also we are 2-3 days away from the next maintenance release that addresses another set of issues on the client side.

To get to the issue at hand:

Could you share with me the URLs to the feeds that are pending? I’d like to run some tests with them myself.

Also please send me a screenshot of the setting of that scheduled import so I can mimic it on my test site.

Finally please check your Event Aggregator System Status under Events > Help which shoudl look like this. If you can share a screenshot of that, that’s even best.

Thanks and looking forward to helping you make EA work for you and not against you.

Cheers,
    Andras

Justin
    Participant

Here is the ICS we are using;

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/capemaybrewery.com_g3s6hlrmblivd6c87rfjqtandg%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

You can see in the screenshot of “Event Aggregator System Status” – WP Cron is disabled, but I have a cron job that runs every 5 minutes. I attached a screenshot of my cron events to show you they are running fine.

I am putting in a screenshot of my import history as well. All the successful imports are manual – the one at the bottom stuck pending since 9/14 is from the scheduled import. Is there a way to clear that out to see if it will run successfully?

Andras
    Keymaster

I just set up a scheduled import with the url you shared and the latest versions of our plugins. So far the import ran automatically 5 times and without any issues.

What you can try is:

• make sure that all the calendar plugins are up-to-date
    • delete the scheduled import itself
    • delete the events that were imported (also from the ignored list)
    • set up the scheduled import again and check what happens

At first you can try skipping step 3 / deleting the events. If that doesn’t help, then redo with step 3 included.

This is how I would start.

Andras

Justin
    Participant

I have tried recreating the scheduled import many times, but I tried again to be sure. No luck, still not importing on schedule.

Coult it not be the import stuck pending in the history? Recreating the scheduled import did not clear that out.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Justin,

Not sure that would have an impact, but I will try to get an extra set of eyes to take a look at this. Hang in there, we’ll get back to you soon.

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Andras
    Keymaster

Got some news already.

I talked to the developer on this case. Yes, it was fixed before and then somehow it crept back in.

But the coding is done and should be released worst case in about 2 weeks. In a better scenario it will be released this week, but that is not up to me at this point. I’ll try to give it some push to get it out as soon as possible.

Thanks for your continued patience!

Cheers,
    Andras

Justin
    Participant

Thank you, it does seem like some bugs have getting fixed and then the next patch they are broke again for the past month.

We are waiting eagerly for a fix as we are currently having to manually run the import every few hours.

Is there no other way to remove the stuck import in the meantime? Or would this not fix the problem anyway?

Barry

Hi Justin,

There are a couple of things you can try but I can’t guarantee the effects will be long-lasting (they might however provide you with some temporary relief, at least). First:

• Visit Events ‣ Settings ‣ Import and look inside the General Import Settings area
    • Import limit type will be set to one of two types and that controls the next setting you will see which will either be a date range or numerical limit
    • Whichever it is, try reducing it (ie, from 2 months to 1 month or from 200 to 100, etc)

Second (whether this is workable will depend on how much time you have and how many scheduled imports you have):

• Visit the Events ‣ Imports ‣ Scheduled Imports screen
    • For each scheduled import, delete and recreate

In some cases, this clears things out and will restore normal operation. I realize it’s clunky and ideally it wouldn’t be recommended. Hopefully our next release will provide a more complete solution that doesn’t require this sort of step and I can only thank you for your patience in the interim.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release (for the Week of 2 October 2017) is out, including a fix for the Scheduled Imports not running issue.

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-week-2-october-2017/

We really appreciate your patience and collaboration while we worked on this issue.

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site.

Best,
    Victor

Justin
    Participant

Thank you for the update. I have installed the update and it looks like scheduled imports run again from the history. However, the imports are all in a “Pending” state with nothing being imported or updated.

Manual imports are still working though.

Justin
    Participant

This, unfortunately, is getting even more frustrating. I tried deleting the scheduled event and recreated it, after that the scheduled imports started, but with many issues.

So after much testing here is what I am finding with imports;

-Import is set to 30 minutes, but when watching the history the scheduled import last run time is resetting to 1 minutes before it has been 30 minutes – seems to reset about every 5 minutes (I do have wp-cron disabled and my manual cron runs every 5 minutes).

-Import is staying in pending state, but it does seem to actually run – still testing this as I have to wait at least 30 minutes to see.

-If I do a manual import it resets the pending import and all imports then show completed, but next time the scheduled import happens this starts over.

The new major issue is that with the last update any “All-day” events are having the end time being extended by 1 day each time the import runs, this happens with both the scheduled import and a manual import.

If I delete the events that are doing this and do a manual import they all have the correct dates again, but next time the import runs the days get added again.

What I don’t understand is this doesn’t happen to every event…

So yet again, the scheduled import for us is completely broken so that it has to be disabled.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Justin.
    Justin
    Participant

I set up a dev site to test this and the scheduled events are functioning the same way as the live site. I am attaching a screenshot. The last “completed” import was manual.

On the dev site, I re-enabled wp-cron to rule that out as an issue, and the scheduled imports work the same way – the top “pending” import keeps resetting the “When” time back to 1 minute.

As you can see even the failed event says it updated some events.

As for the issue of “All-day” events getting extra days added, I was unable to replicate this on the dev site. This was not happening before the recent patch on the live site but maybe has to do with starting out with no existing events on dev site.

One thing I did notice on the live site is in the events list view the all-day events will, for example, show a start date of “October 16” and an end date of “October 17”, but when you go into the event both the start and end date show October 16 and also on front end it shows the 16th. This is one of the events that get an extra day added when the import runs.

Next, I am going to make a current copy of the live site to see if it stops adding the extra days if I clear out all the old events.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

I’m really sorry that working through this goes slow. I also asked for another set of eyes to take a look at this, maybe someone has a good idea or insight.

Until that’s done could you share a database dump with me? I would like to fire it up and see if I can find something.

Cheers,
    Andras

Justin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Calendar ICS Scheduled Imports Hung on "Import Pending"’ is closed to new replies.