CSV Import is saying it imports 81 events but only displaying 50…

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO CSV Import is saying it imports 81 events but only displaying 50…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Chris Adams
    Participant

Hi,
    I am importing a csv file and the process works great – loving the plugin 🙂 But… when I am importing 81 events to the calendar it says it is importing all 81 in the import summary screen but then when I view the events I can only see 50… a strangely rounded number of events. If I try and re-import over the top then it says it has updated 50 and added 31, but then when I go back and view events… only 50 are present again.
    Help needed and appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Chris

George
    Participant

Hey Chris,

This is odd behavior indeed, and I’m sorry you’ve run into trouble here – there are few things that come to mind that could be problematic here.

First, can you upload your .csv file to a site dropbox or http://ge.tt so we can download and check it out, and even test it ourselves? If your data is too private or you otherwise don’t want to share the file, no worries, I’m just thinking it would be a useful thing to test on our end.

Next, can you run through our official troubleshooting steps here? https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/

After each theme or plugin deactivation, try running the import again – this may seem tedious but is actually a much faster and simpler process than it sounds.

This is also an extremely useful and important test, as it will definitively confirm or at least rule-out the possibility of other conflicts happening here on your site.

Let us know what you find!

Thanks,
    George

Ian
    Participant

I am seeing similar behavior. Looking into it more for myself it seams to relate to special characters in the description field, so far it seams to effect “£”, some “‘”, “é”. If I remove these or change them to their HTML code i.e. “£” it imports OK.

Looking back at imports I did earlier in the month I can see that these did used to import the event but the description field was cut short at the special character. Since the latest update though it is now no longer importing at all.

George
    Participant

Hey Ian,

The main issue here as reported by Chris is that the actual number of events themselves is cut short, not a specific element of each event like the description is getting cut off.

You described the latter issue on your site, but I’m curious, did you also run into Chris’s issue, where even if you had, say, 80 events to import, only the first 50 would?

Thanks,
    George

Ian
    Participant

Hello George, I guess it is not clear from Chris’s initial post whether it is the first 50 and then the next 31 are ignored or a random 50 are added.

I am seeing the second instance, so if my file has 8 records and 3 rows have special characters in the description field the initial upload says 8 new records have been created, but looking at the database of event only 5 have been created. If I then reupload the same file it says 3 new records and 5 updated, but looking in the database no new events have been created. If I then remove the special characters from the CSV file and reupload then it says again 3 new records and 5 updated, now in looking at the database the 3 missing records are now there.

Hope this helps explain, it would be interesting to know if Chris’s 50 events are the first 50 or a random selection of 50 from throughout the file of 81.

If they are separate issues do I need to start a separate thread?

George
    Participant

Hey Ian,

Thanks for the elaboration on your issues here – opening another thread may be necessary in a bit, but for now, can you clarify if simply removing your special characters resolves all of the bad behavior you mention here?

What effect, if any, does removing those special characters seem to have here?

Thank you!
    George

Ian
    Participant

Yes if I remove the special characters (ie replace “£” with “£”, or “é” as in café with “e”, or “’” with “‘”) then it imports OK and the events are then added to the database.

As I use excel to transform the data before I upload to events calendar as a work around I have added a few lines to my macro to replace the special characters we have found to date.

Ian

George
    Participant

Hey Chris,

Do you notice any similarities with your problems to the ones that Ian described here?

Do you have any special/odd characters, or non-UTF-8 entities in your import file? And if so, does removing them and then running the imports again change any of the behavior?

Thanks,
    George

Chris Adams
    Participant

Hi George & Ian, sorry I’ve been silent – I’ve had my broadband taken down the last few days.
    I will respond tomorrow with feedback on both the (sets of) queries so we can continue looking at this for both you Ian and my issues.
    Tomorrow then!
    Chris

George
    Participant

No worries Chris, keep us posted on your issues here – but take your time!

Chris Adams
    Participant

Hi,
    An update. I checked the content (Description) for all of the events that said were being imported but weren’t showing up and as you suggested Ian there were some special characters such as £ signs – dashes (–) and so on and converted them all either to normal chars or html as suggested. That has worked 🙂
    Thanks so much both for your help.
    About to open another thread however as I have a new issue! Some events are now being duplicated when I re-import the csv file, some are not…
    The work continues!
    Chris

George
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I’m very glad to hear the first issue is resolved! As for the second issue, if you’ve already opened a new thread, can you share the link to that thread here for reference?

On the topic of that issue, not to be too obvious, but are the events that are duplicated the same events that have already been imported in the past? Or are events that have never even been imported before being duplicated upon import?

Thanks,
    George

Chris Adams
    Participant

Hey George, Yes – the thread for the duplicated all day events is here – https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/duplicate-events-on-all-day-events/ – Brian has looked at it and has advised that it is a bug that is going to be looked at, fyi.
    Closing this issue now though. Thanks again for your help.
    Chris

Ian
    Participant

Hello, George when you say that this issue is now fixed, has this been fixed in the plugin (or is there a patch) or is it just that we identified a work around?

To fix this as a minimum the records that have the special characters should not be included in the successful count as they are now, but preferably it would import rows with special characters (I have not come across a “£” being a special character before??), if this was done then no work around would be required?

George
    Participant

Hey Chris, thanks for the information and the update here. Best of luck with your site!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘CSV Import is saying it imports 81 events but only displaying 50…’ is closed to new replies.