Continuing closed thread RE translation

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Continuing closed thread RE translation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Greg
    Participant

Helo,

Continuing this thread:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/category-url-translation-problem/

I have set the site up as per the tutorial and your request.

The problem persists.

For some reason, in the menu item links generated by Events Calendar, it tries to take us to the link titled /categorie/ (the rench spelling of category) rather than /category/ … which does not exist

This has not been entered like this, it seems to be some issue with the link structure within Events Calendar?

Please advise? thank you.

George
    Participant

Hi Greg,

Are you still using WPML to power the multilingual functionality on your site?

— George

Greg
    Participant

Hi George,

Yes 🙂

/category/ is being translated to /categorie/… but the correct link is /category/ not /categorie/

(Futhermore – our client is a French professional body and have advised that the translation for “Previous Events” is wrong. It should at least be Précédents Événements with an ‘s’ on ‘Précédents’

or, even better,

Événements antérieures)

Thanks

George
    Participant

Thank you for reporting this. Our plugins do not fully support WPML at this time and so issues like this are likely to arise from that lack of support. 🙁

While I cannot promise a code fix any time soon, I will create a bug ticket for our developers to address this.

I am sorry that our plugins do not support WPML at this time!

George

Greg
    Participant

Hi George,

Then I’m confused – how/why are there large chunks of the plugin that are translated?

Please could you bring Geoff B onto the thread as he was able to assist with a similar problem previously

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/users/geoffroyb/

This is critical to our usage of the events calendar

Surely someone within your organisation can tell me why your “category” link is being translated?

Thank you

Greg
    Participant

Furthermore, Geoff B in fact states previously that events calendar Pro IS compatible with WPML:

As for WPML vs the Events Calendar compatibility, what I can tell you is that currently the Events Calendar is compatible with WPML for the following plugins:

The Events Calendar free plugin
    – The Events Calendar Pro add-on (except for recurring events which we are in the process of fixing)

George
    Participant

Hey Greg,

If you have set things up exactly according to this article, and still have issues: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/setting-up-the-events-calendar-with-wpml/

Then it seems like there is a bug here and I am reporting this for our developers to investigate. I will share more about why this might be happening and what possible solutions might exist.

Sorry for the trouble here! Stay tuned.

George

Greg
    Participant

Hi George,

That doesn’t explain the totally contradictory information from the same support team though?

The fact that at no point have you asked for any login information or screenshots, or investigated our problem in a little more detail – other than “if you’ve followed the instructions then I’ve got no idea”, is concerning and unhelpful.

If this is not your area of expertise, that’s totally fair enough – But please could you connect me with someone else who is better placed to assist, for example Geoff B, who has stated he in fact works directly on Events Calendar / WPML compatiblity.

Many thanks & best wishes,

Greg

Greg

George
    Participant

Hey Greg,

We cannot log into customer sites, so I have not asked for login information.

As for not investigating your problem, to be clear I am making a ticket so that our developers can investigate this problem. I am attempting to recreate it on my local site as well.

— George

Greg
    Participant

George, I understand that, thank you, but would mind not ignoring two completely direct questions or requests?

– Why have I received totally contradictory information from the same support team?

– Why won’t you connect/invite onto this thread, someone who specifically works on this job, and has helped with a similar issue?

and, now:

– How do I escalate this issue with someone senior, please?

Nothing personal, I appreciate your assistance, but we are not proceeding any further on a quite critical issue, and as a paying customer I am becoming dissatisfied with this issue.

Thank you

Greg

George
    Participant

Hey Greg,

I have posed questions about this to our team, which includes Geoff B. specifically. Our team does not only exist on the support forums, but in private communication channels as well. We are investigating this issue.

I do not have a specific “here’s why this is happening” response yet, but am actively working on this.

One of the things our team has reported back is that BOTH category URLs should work. I can “escalate” this thread to another team member if you insist, but if you would like to work on trying to figure out the technical issues here, can you please post your “System Information” to this thread? Here is how to do that: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

Thank you,
    George

Geoff B.

Dear Greg,

As per your request we are transferring this thread to me.

If you don’t mind, I will answer any category url related question in this specific thread moving forward.
    This way it will keep things nice and tidy 🙂

If you haven’t already done so, you can read my explanation here: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/for-geoff-b-re-wpml-month-titles-not-translating-in-french/#post-1127075

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Greg
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

Thanks again. Let’s continue here

“For now, there are only a handful of ways to correct this (none are perfect unfortunately):

1. After a backup, roll back to version 4.1.4 of our plugins
    2. Remove the category slug translation both from your string translation interface AND in the .po/.mo language file of your secondary language. I have tested this and it works for all 3 faulty slugs. The obvious down side is that these slugs will appear in the wrong language for now”

Both of these options are fine. It’s more important that it works than has newer features or has an english category slug. I guess rolling back to a previous version would be “easier”. But is option 2 “better” in some way?

What’s your recommendation?

If it’s option 1, where can I obtain a copy and what is the correct downgrade path please?

I’m guessing it’s this release..?

https://theeventscalendar.com/release-the-events-calendar-4-1-3-and-premium-add-ons/

But can’t find where to download the required old versions.

If it’s option 2. please could you provide a bit more information on the files and lines I should ammend? Thank you.

Thanks

Greg

Geoff B.

Good evening Greg,

You have perfectly identified the pros and cons of each solution.

The best solution is option 1 because everything should work as intended and it’s the cleanest.
    The downside is that it is a bit more time consuming (with the backups and everything).

Option 2 is the quickest solution and is only suitable to people that do not mind the english permalink.

You can get the previous versions of Pro here: https://theeventscalendar.com/my-account/downloads/

You can get the previous matching version of our free plugin here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/developers/

Finally, I can’t stress this enough, please make sure you have a complete database backup before rolling back.
    It has saved my life many times 🙂

Thank you for your patience as we are repairing this.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Continuing closed thread RE translation’ is closed to new replies.