Adding Custom Field to Filter Bar

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Adding Custom Field to Filter Bar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keinan

I am trying to add a filter for a custom field in my events. Currently, I just have the default filter fields in the filter bar (Event Category, Cost ($), Tags, Venues, Organizers, Day, and Time ). How do I go about adding a new filter field?

Geoff B.

Good evening Keinan and welcome to the Events Calendar Support forum!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I would love to help you with this topic.

As a side note, before we begin, in the future, could you please post such questions in our premium forums for the Events Calendar Pro using your login information ?

How do I go about adding a new filter field?

You can do that in 2 ways:

1. By reading the following article and using our interface: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/configuring-filter-bar/
    2. Through a code snippet in your functions.php file: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/understanding-the-tribe-events-bar/

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Keinan

Hello Geoff, and thanks for your reply. I apologize for posting this issue here (I did try to get into the filter bar forum), but I am actually fixing a site that someone else created using the calendar. Unfortunately, I myself do not have Pro login credentials. The issue the client has been experiencing is that the site’s custom fields disappeared as filter fields one day, from the front end and the back end. The custom fields are still in the event editor, but in Settings/Filter they are not listed as viable additions. Nor can they be seen it the filter bar itself. I am not sure if this is an issue with original site creator’s Pro account, or if maybe an auto update whisked the filters away. Bottom line, they aren’t there. And according to the client, they haven’t been for a while. What can I do?

Geoff B.

Hey Keinan,

Thank you for your answer.

It’s hard to tell exactly what happened without more information.

As a first troubleshooting step, could you please provide us with your client’s complete system information using the instructions found in the following link?

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

Secondly, did you go through the following document ? https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/configuring-filter-bar/

Last but not least, it is possible that this is due to some type of conflict, but I’ll be able to tell better after receiving the system info.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Keinan

Yes, I did read https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/. The issue is that this,

“Let’s say, for example, you have a custom field for Dress Attire. That custom field will be available in the list of configurable options for Filter Bar, allowing you to display and customize the appearance of that field in the Filter Bar.”

does not happen for my custom fields.

Additionally, can I post the system information privately on the pre purchase forum? I don’t see the option.

Keinan

I posted the wrong URL, but you get the picture. I read the materials you posted.

Keinan

I just realized that the site’s custom fields are listed in a different place on the back end.

Under just “Events” they are all listed in the side bar (Cost Levels, Modes, Types, Topics, and Venues). These custom fields have choices associated with them. But I was playing around and you can also create custom fields in Events>Settings>Additional Fields. A test field generated here DID show up in the filter bar.

So I guess my question is, what are the existing custom fields?

Geoff B.

Good evening Keinan,

Thank you for writing back and congratulations on making good progress in your investigation.

You have several good questions. I’ll be happy to answer them.

can I post the system information privately on the pre purchase forum? I don’t see the option.

The answer is yes, but only in a thread of the premium forum. In other words, logged-in with your client’s credentials.
    I wish the system worked differently, but alas that’s one of our limitations.

So I guess my question is, what are the existing custom fields?

Without seeing screenshots of the actual Edit events screens where they appear, it’s hard to say.
    I would understand if you are not comfortable with sharing those publicly.

The only other option in that case would be to reopen a ticket with your client’s credentials.

Let me know either way.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Keinan

As you can see she had a lot of plugins going.

Here is what the existing custom fields look like.

Keinan

One more thing. When I first open “Events” there is this notification at the top saying:

“Pssst! Looking for the filters? They live in a separate plugin now | Download for free | Dismiss.”

This plugin in by modern tribe, but it only has 3k downloads. Does that help clear it up at all?

Keinan

So I downloaded that plugin, but I believe it is a back end filter for admin purposes (sifting through events).

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening Keinan,

Thank you for the system info which I had to repost under my name to convert to “private”. I also deleted the previous thread to keep it anonymous.

I understand the situation better now, you are talking about custom fields generated by the advanced custom fields plugin.
    The reason I was confused is because we now support additional fields directly within Pro: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/pro-additional-fields/

The short answer is that you will need to do some customization to include custom fields generated by a third-party plugin to be available in the filter.

Just to set expectations, as you might know, the scope of our support is mostly to get our customers started on the right track and to help them in case of issues. We unfortunately do not provide complete support for customization.

With that in mind, you could try to tackle this yourself. In which case I would recommend:

As an alternative, you could hire one of our recommended customizers to do the customization for you.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but for now it’s the best one I have.

Have a good week-end,

Geoff B.

Keinan

I have one more question. I am trying to replace the old ACF fields with TEC fields. I created all the clones in TEC, but currently the list view calendar mode displays some values from ACF fields. How can I change to displaying the TEC values rather than the ACF values? I used an SSH client to download the whole site, but rooting through it to find the correct changes is proving quite difficult.

Keinan

I just realized that they are actually taxonomies through CPT UI.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Adding Custom Field to Filter Bar’ is closed to new replies.