Widget image size

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Widget image size

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    steph
    Participant

Hi guys
    I have just messed with the widgets of my site, and wanted to use a list of upcoming events.
    This seems to work, but the featured image is cropped to a square image instead of filling the entire width of the column.
    Is there a way i can change that?
    I have attached an image to show the issue

Geoff B.

Good evening Steph and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We are sorry to hear about the images not filling up the whole space on your website.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

From what I can see, it looks like your theme or some setting is forcing thumbnail versions of your images. If you look at the html, there also seems to be a forced resize at play.

You could either:

1. Use a third-party plugin such as https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-image-sizes/ to try to regain control
    2. Define a different thumbnail size and regenerate those thumbnails.

Could you also send me a copy of the latest version of your WordPress theme / child theme via a link to a .zip file link (stored Dropbox or Google Drive) so that I can run some tests on my end ? I recommend a private reply for that purpose.

Please ensure you are using the latest files as found on your actual website.
    This way I will get access to any updates or customizations you might have made.

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

steph
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening Steph,

Thank you for writing back.

Unfortunately, our policy does not allow us to log in to clients websites to change anything for several reasons, including liability.

At best, we can take a look (which I did) to see if we can’t spot anything obvious.

What is going on is that your theme or one of the plugins on your site is forcing a resize of the image.

As a result, instead of using the basic image URL (i.e.: https://i0.wp.com/www.rookieraceline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/DiceChallengerace.jpg), it uses the following URL https://i0.wp.com/www.rookieraceline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/DiceChallengerace.jpg?resize=125%2C125&ssl=1

The only way to know for sure what the cause of this is to go through our testing for conflicts procedure (preferably in a staging/dev environment or local install of your WordPress website) and let us know what you find out.

Basically the goal here is to revert back to a bare WordPress installation to see if the problem persists. It also allows us to pinpoint what the cause of the issue is.

But, before you do that, there are 2 things I would advise:

1. Make a backup of your database
    2. Consider activating a “Maintenance Page” plugin if you are doing this on your live site (to minimize impact on your visitors)

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

steph
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    Thanks for this, i’ll go through it with a dev because i might break it if i start messing with this.
    One last thing.
    I noticed that one of the facebook pages i import events from, has created a new event, that does not show on my website.
    I have forced the event calendar to do an import, and cleared all cache, but it still does not display the new event.
    Why is this happening?

I’ve attached a few images to show what is wrong

Geoff B.

Good evening Steph,

Thank you for writing back.

I don’t know if that will help, but it also looks like these images are actually hosted on an external website. Maybe, there is a glitch in the way these are being added as the events featured image ?

But in all likelihood, there is some type of code somewhere forcing images found inside widgets to resize somehow.

As for your second question,  I am not sure exactly.
    Ideally, I would have liked to test this out. But, unfortunately, it seems that the event is passed.

Is it possible that this specific event had a different status or privacy settings than the others at the FB level ?

Best regards,

Geoff B.

steph
    Participant

Hi Geoff
    Thanks for the reply.
    There are plenty of similar cases to check, so no worries.
    For example on March 11 and 12, it seems like it has not synchronized properly.
    On the word press site it has two repeat events, where on Facebook, these are two different event
    the facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/RevolutionOnlineRacing/events/

Strange thing is, that the images for the missing events have been imported to my media folder, but the events i can’t find on the calendar

Geoff B.

Good evening Steph,

Thank to your answer, I could perform some additional tests.

I am able to pull both events from your FB page and they do indeed appear correctly on my site.
    I am wondering if your caching plugin (at least with it’s current settings) is not getting in the way ?

You could try deactivating it and running the import manually again to see if that helps.

Could you also try to see what is your setting under Events -> Settings -> Import (forEvent Update Authority) ? Make sure it is set to overwrite.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

steph
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    This didn’t work, and i gave up on it, but the event calendar has a large value to the site, so i need this to work propperly, and most importantly consistently.
    I did a little search on your forum, and it seems that it is not only me.
    I’ve added a comment on this thread to get notified on any updates. I really hope you fix this (and eventlually also the image imports)
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/aggregator-not-importing-images-from-facebook/#dl_post-1234340

Regarding image imports, i can see the images being imported in my media gallery, but they don’t get attached to events, and sometimes there are not even events for the images to get attached to.

Geoff B.

Good evening Steph,

I am sincerely sorry that did not work.

You are right, there is indeed a bug impacting Facebook events images not being imported.

However, this bug only impacts users that are using versions above

1. 4.4.0.1 for the Events Calendar
    2. 4.4 for the Events Calendar Pro

Based on the system information you sent me, I assumed that was not your case.
    But perhaps you updated since then?

In any case, I apologize for this assumption.

The good news is that a fix is imminent and you will be notified as soon as it’s out.

In the meantime, the only known workaround is to downgrade to the versions above: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/downgrading-plugin-past-version/

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

steph
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

steph
    Participant

Alright
    I’ll wait a few days and see if the new version will be available then. If not i’ll go ahead and downgrade
    Thanks

Geoff B.

Good evening Steph,

Thank you for your understanding.

Let me know if you need anything else on this topic.

As an FYI, it looks like there will not be a release before at least next week unfortunately.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

steph
    Participant

Hi Geoff
    Thanks for this
    I have gone ahead an downgraded both plug ins
    It even solved the issue with the missing images, so i am very happy now.
    Might as well just stick with these as everything seems to work right now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Widget image size’ is closed to new replies.