Updating Button keeps spinning… not new publishing either

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Updating Button keeps spinning… not new publishing either

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin

We recently updated to wordpress WordPress 3.3.1 and using Calendar Pro Version 2.0.2. When we tried to update an event nothing would happen the update button would just spin forever. So we updated to Calendar Pro Version 2.0.3 and the update button still just would spin. So, we created a whole new event (multiple dates) and publish just spins too.

Can you help?

Rob

Hey Benjamin. Thanks for the note here. Any chance another plugin or your theme is conflicting? That’s my bet, since this is an isolated issue that nobody else has reported yet. Are you in an environment where you can deactivate those and revert the theme back to default 2011, to see if that’s the cause here?

Benjamin

All settings are still on Default. Do you you mean with ‘Default 2011’ to revert the plugin to previous version?

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Benjamin, yes try disabling all other plugins and/or reverting to the Twenty Eleven theme to see if this helps.

Sam
    Participant

I have experienced the same problem, I believe it has to do with ‘Recurrence’

If you specify ‘Custom’ WITH an ‘End’ date specified, and the post has been saved/submitted at least once (such as an automatic draft) — all future saves will fail, clicking Publish, Update, Save Draft, Change Status, will cause an infinite spinning icon. Checking Firebug Console reveals that no HTTP requests are ever made.

This problem may occur with other combinations of recurrence settings, but I have been able to reproduce the situation I described above on multiple occasions

Please investigate this

Thanks

Rob

Thanks for the report, Sam. Weirdly I was unable to recreate this following your steps – but I may not have used the same criteria you did. Still, even upon auto-save I was able to make changes, publish, then come back and make/save further changes from there.

Any chance you can provide the exact criteria you’ve used to test this, so I could follow it to a tee and see what happens then?

Ginny
    Participant

Datapoint: I’m having the same problem – custom recurrence with end date causes the indefinite spinning icon when I try to update. When I change the recurrence to anything other than Custom, it works again.

Sam
    Participant

Rob,

Try something like this:
    http://samjlevy.com/files/ecp_bug.png

– Save the event as a draft
    – Exit the event
    – Open the event again
    – Make a change to something like the description
    – Click save as draft again
    – If it asks you if you want to update future events etc, click OUTSIDE of the box – don’t actually click any buttons
    – From now on this Event won’t save – a spinning icon will sit next to the button, even after exiting and opening the event again

Looks like maybe it has to do with the ‘Update Future Events’ etc box, if you click out of it – the post wont save anymore

Rob

Thanks for the steps, Sam – I was able to recreate it up until the last step. When I click outside of the box (update one versus all events), the circle does indeed keep spinning…but eventually I have to click something in the popup, since it won’t go away otherwise. When I do everything starts working fine again.

On your end, are you saying it disappears when you click outside of it? If so, let me know what browser/version you’re on…it’s possibly just a browser incompatibility.

Sam
    Participant

Rob,

I messed around with it further, I could only reproduce it with a Contributor account — it would happen after either clicking out of the box or clicking the x

ECP doesn’t natively allow Contributor accounts to post events, I had to modify all of the

if ( !current_user_can( 'publish_posts' ) )
    return;

To be

if ( !current_user_can( 'edit_posts' ) )
    return;

In the-events-calendar.class.php

That change could be the reason for the issue

I do not know what situation the posters above (who have experienced the same issue) are in

If I figure out something more concrete I will let you know

Eric

This happened to me earlier when editing an existing event. It’s not an elegant solution, but I ultimately deleted the event that was causing the spinning update and created a new one. So far this has only happened once, and I’ve since edited more events.

Benjamin

Jonah, I am unable to disable the theme because it would greatly alter the site. I have tried deactivating all other plugin and it did not make a difference. Sam (above) describes the problem perfectly. It does happen al recurring events. It makes it so we can’t update any recurring event on the calendar. We have to delete it and put it back in. I hesitate to implement Sam’s suggestion until you approve it. This issue is becoming a major problem.

Ginny
    Participant

I started to comment again last night with my WP and plugin versions, when I realized that my The Events Calendar plugin was 2.0.3, but the Pro plugin was still 2.0.1. (I’m on WP 3.3.1.) I didn’t have an option to auto-update the pro plugin, so I did it manually.

As of this morning, I *think* this might have solved the problem. Worth checking out anyway.

Rob

Sam: thanks for the heads up here. So are you saying that it doesn’t happen under any circumstances other than when you add that code to enable Contributors? On our end, at the least, we’ll make sure to enable contributors to post recurrence for a future release. Please confirm that I’m correct about the first point though.

Eric: Thanks for the heads up. At least that’ll work. If it returns, can you let us know (and see if you can whether there were any similarities between that and the one that initially gave you problems)?

Benjamin: It’ll be tough to diagnose if we cannot disable the theme, but let’s go off what Sam noted first. Are you saying that you only have this problem after modifying the code to allow for Contributors too? We’re trying to get this resolved and of course will do so as quickly as possible, but I’m sure you understand that we’re a small team with only so much dev bandwidth. Hopefully Eric’s suggestion can work in the short-term.

GInny: You raise a good point. To everyone on the thread here, I’d definitely suggest upgrading to make sure your releases are consistent before trying anything else. You’re bound to have problems if they aren’t.

Let me know what else I can do, and we’ll keep working at this. Thanks all!

Sam
    Participant

Sorry for the confusion

I made the change before I experienced the problem

I do not know if the change had anything to do with the problem, but I wanted to state that in case it was in some way related

The bug is tricky to pinpoint, just when I think I can reproduce it — the next day I cannot

From what I have experienced, and others apparently, I think it has something to do with recursion

I understand completely that there is no way to fix it unless it can be consistently reproduced — so the investigation continues

Thanks for your timely responses, I will continue to do my best to try and help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • The topic ‘Updating Button keeps spinning… not new publishing either’ is closed to new replies.