Updated Avada to and now my calendar looks messed up

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Updated Avada to and now my calendar looks messed up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Cindy
    Participant

Hello,

I just updated to Avada 4.0.2 from 3.8 and it toasted the formatting for The Events Calendar. I.E. It removed the paragraphs, does not show all of the event info until you click on Learn More, at which point it opens up to look like I want it to in the body, but I don’t want it to show the white side bar.

What I need to know is :
    1. How do I get rid of the ‘Learn More’?
    2. How do I have unlimited lines?

The code we used to use ( tribe-events-list a.tribe-events-read-more { display: none; } ) no longer works.

Thanks for the assist,

Cindy

Cliff

This reply is private.

Cindy
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cindy
    Participant

Hey Cliff,

I got additional info/help from Avada. Ammar got rid of the ‘Read More’ now so that is good. Now I just need to increase the amount of info being shown on the excerpt. Can you please provide me with the steps to show the entire post within the excerpt?

Once I have that I should be good to go.

Thanks!

Cindy

Cindy
    Participant

Hey again –

Once I knew that the term I was searching for was ‘Excerpt’ I Googled that and came across this info:

https://gist.github.com/geoffgraham/665326d7770cf732b94c#file-tribe-events-excerpt-length-php

I tried to use this to see if it would do what I wanted but I could not find the file to update and I need the length to be unlimited.

Thanks,

Cindy

Cliff

Hi Cindy. If I understand your messages accurately, you’re wanting the excerpt to be longer.

This article (not from us so not guaranteed) offers some additional information about WordPress excerpts.

Please let me know if this helps you get the job done or if you have any follow-up questions.

Cindy
    Participant

Hey Cliff,

The excerpt is within the Events Calendar Pro. Before the Avada upgrade it allowed me to have unlimited text. Events Calendar had provided me with short code that made it work. Since the upgrade to Avada it is now being cut off.

Please go to my site: http://footstepsofwisdom.com/events/?action=tribe_list&tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=list

You will see that since I have Read more removed, one can only see a few lines. If you read up to my other messages to you, you will see the example of what it used to look like. I had unlimited lines of text in this section. Can you please provide me with a short code that will now work with the new version of Avada?

The Avada support person kindly sent me this link with info that is more on target to this issue:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/event-descriptionexcerpt-length/

The problem is, that it does not tell us where to go to change the code or how to make it unlimited. We spent an hour trying to find where to input this code.

Cindy

Cliff

Thanks to both you and Avada’s support for your determination. Sorry it’s been difficult for you.

Welcome to WordPress customizing!

Best practice for adding custom code (like to implement a PHP snippet to modify The Events Calendar) is to create a functionality plugin, unless it’s something specific to your theme, in which case best practice is to make sure you’re using a child theme, then add the customization to your child theme’s functions.php file.

I don’t believe there is an “unlimited” option, but if there is, it’d be -1. If negative one doesn’t work, you’d just have to put a really high number, like 9999.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cindy
    Participant

I uploaded a file tribe-events-excerpt-length.php, set the length to 9999, and put it the my theme folder in the same location as functions.php. My question is how do you let wordpress know to use this file to determine my excerpt length? What do I have to edit in order to make this work and what code do I need to write?

Cliff

I think you’re mixing up the two ways to include custom code.

Just put your custom code in your child theme’s functions.php file and delete the tribe-events-excerpt-length.php file and see how things go.

Cindy
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

That worked. Thanks!

Now the last piece that is messed up is the paragraphs/spacing. If you look at my site you see it is still all mashed up. I had hoped that adding the extra lines would fix this but it did not. Remember….IT USED TO DO THIS. Just like all the other things I have spent the past week trying to fix. What do I need to do next?

Here is an example of how it WAS looking:

Chicago, Illinois

Learn to Release All Anxiety and Fears by Unlocking the Doors to your Past!

Dr. Brian Weiss astonished the world of psychiatry with the theories of past-life regression therapy detailed in his best-selling book, Many Lives, Many Masters. Brian is the nation’s foremost expert in this field. This highly experiential intensive workshop explores the latest in hypnotic regression therapy. When we discuss what happens before we are born and after we die and our possible future lives we awaken from the constrictions of our past conditioning to release anxieties and fears.

In a series of large and small group past life regression exercises, healing visualizations and right brain training, this exciting experiential workshop takes you on an incredible psychospiritual journey as you explore the limitless boundaries of the mind and soul.

During this all-day event, you will have an opportunity to:
    •Discover extraordinary details about your past
    •Release old phobias and fears from prior lifetimes
    •Practice revolutionary healing visualizations and meditations
    •Harness the power of love and understanding to transform your life
    •Understand about your soul mates and soul companions
    •Discover new tools for developing your intuition and psychic abilities

Discover More: Brian L. Weiss, M.D. – Many Lives, Many Masters

I’m saving all of the steps incase this gets messed up when Avada and/or Events Calendar updates because this has been really painful. If I had been live on my site and marketing it, it would have shut things down for this past week. I know I’m not technical minded and I know because of this I’m not always clear in how I asked things, but do you have suggestions for me going forward to make this less painful when I need help? Should I only post one question per support ticket? I.E.
    1. How do I remove Read More
    2. How do I have extra lines / text
    3. How do I not have it mashed up

I know doing this would have created more tickets, but perhaps it would have made it more clear what I was trying to fix and get it solved faster? I’m open to any and all suggestions, because I know this is not easy for you when you have to deal with novices either and I appreciate your patience and efforts. 🙂

Here is what we used under Custom Functions to add extra words, incase you have others asking:
    * Custom Functions
    */
    get_template_part( ‘includes/custom_functions’ );
    require_once( ‘includes/avada-functions.php’ );

// Changes the excerpt length for events to 100000 words
    function custom_excerpt_length( $length ) {
    if( tribe_is_event() && is_archive() ) {
    return 100000;
    }
    }
    add_filter( ‘excerpt_length’, ‘custom_excerpt_length’, 999999 );

Thanks,

Cindy

Cliff

Cindy, I’m glad you’re making progress! And thanks for sharing the code that worked for you.

Regarding your additional questions, I believe I understand what you’re asking for, but we’re limited in helping with customizations, per our Scope of Support / Terms.

Additionally, we try to keep each thread to a single topic, which I believe we’ve solved.

Therefore, I’m going to Close this thread. If you do need additional support that you feel is within our Scope of Support Terms, please do create a new thread.

Cindy
    Participant

Cliff – This was NEVER customized before and I was able to have paragraphs.

Cliff

Thank you for confirming.

We’ve discovered this issue is bigger than just your site. Please reference our blog post, A note on updating to Avada 4.0.2, and let me know if you have any follow-up questions at this time.

Thanks!

George
    Participant

Hey @Cindy,

Really sorry for the trouble here! We’re working with the Avada folks to figure out the problem here.

I wanted to suggest something that you could try here that would be a huge help in finding out the issue with Avada 4.0.2. I totally understand if you can’t do the test I’m about to recommend,, but we’re reaching out to everyone affected.

If possible, can you try finding these three files in your Avada theme files:

• tribe-events/day/single-event.php
    • tribe-events/list/single-event.php
    • tribe-events/pro/map/single-event.php

In each of those files, look for a bit of code that looks like this:

the_excerpt();

Then replace each instance of this code in each of the three files with this:

tribe_events_get_the_excerpt();

Save the file changes, then have a look at your site where there were display issues with events. Does anything improve?

If you cannot make these changes, no worries—it’s just an important test that could help move this issue forward to a faster conclusion. We’re having trouble recreating the problem on both sides here, so are reaching out to customers directly to see if the above code change alters the behavior of the issue at all.

Thank you!
    George

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘Updated Avada to and now my calendar looks messed up’ is closed to new replies.