Unable to retrieve content from site within multisite (both using same plugin)

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Unable to retrieve content from site within multisite (both using same plugin)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kristin
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m trying to set up a recurring import as described in this thread. I’m trying to import using an iCal URL from one of the sites from another in the multisite, also running The Events Calendar. Whenever I try to load the feed, though, I get: “Unable to retrieve content from the provided URL.”

Feed URL: http://camperinmodesto.org (domain masked. true URL “http://hheart.roundhouse-designs.com/camperinmodesto”. Both tested, neither works)

I know there are multiple threads on this subject, but none helped me solve this issue.

Thank you!

Cheers,
    Nick

Nico

Hi Nick,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about this issue!

I could find a bug report regarding this issue, it indicates the fix for this issue was shipped with version 4.1.1 of iCal Importer. Can you please follow up with your system information so I can check the plugin versions you are using?

Please let me know about it,
    Have a great weekend,
    Nico

Kristin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

Thanks for following up Nick!

Everything looks good as far as I can see. Maybe this bug was re-introduced at some point.

I’ll try to reproduce this on my local network, can you please indicate if there is any special step or setup I should follow?

Thanks,
    Nico

Kristin
    Participant

Hey Nico,

Nothing special that I can think of. I’m using a Domain Mapping plugin, but the feed URLs don’t work even with it disabled, so I can’t figure anything special that’s going on.

Thanks so much for your help!

Nico

Thanks Nick,

I’ve made some test in my local install and I was able to import events from a subsite into the main site and vice versa. I used the URL to import but as the error message you get is ‘Unable to retrieve content from the provided URL’ maybe it’s worth trying to download the ics file and import via file upload instead of URL. Can you give that a try?

Also, when you get the URL error, Can you try to access the feed URL in a new browser window? Does the download of the ics fires as expected?

Best,
    Nico

Kristin
    Participant

Hey there,

I can try that, but the whole point here was to use the automated calendar import scheduling. Can I still do that using ICS downloads?

Yes, using the URLs directly work as expected.

Nico

Hey Nick,

Oh I can see why it wont work for you. I mostly sure the file import should work, but just to confirm please give that a try and let me know about it. Also, are you trying to import from a subsite to the main site, or the other way around or just between subsites?

Thanks for confirming that the URL works as expected when viewed from the browser directly. I’ll share this case with my colleagues to see if any idea comes out of seeing this with fresh eyes!

Best,
    Nico

PS: I will be out tomorrow so I’ll follow-up on Monday.

Kristin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the heads up once again! As expected I was able to import the feed you sent into my local site without any troubles. And was able to do this within my local install.

Let’s check the importer without the multisite factor, maybe it’s a broader issue with the importer. Can you please try downloading this sample feed and try to import it to the main site tribe-test-2a084e55c87 ? It contains a sample event taking place in July 15.

Please let me know if the import works as expected,
    Best,
    Nico

Kristin
    Participant

Hey Nico,

The import didn’t work! Craziness!

As always, thank you for your continued help!!

Nick

Nico

Thanks for following up Nick, I have mixed feelings about the outcome of the test: glad it’s not an issue with multisite feeds, but sad to hear it’s still an issue!

Do you have a local copy of the site where you can double check this? Maybe just a test site or network? My guess is it might be related to server side / php settings, so if you have another server were you can test this it will be great! Also, was this working before this issue came up? Maybe it was never tested?

Nico

Kristin
    Participant

I’ll make a local copy today (that portion of the multisite isn’t truly “live” yet) and give that a test, but in the meantime, if it’s a server issue, I administer our hosting, as well, and have complete control over the environment. We’re running Ubuntu 14.04, with Apache and PHP 5.5.9. I haven’t found anything of note in any of the logs yet, but if you guys have any ideas, I can testing any configuration changes you think may be necessary.

Thank you, again!!

Nico

Thanks for the note Nick! I gave the current list of open bug tickets and don’t see anything related to specific server configuration or PHP version.

To perform the test you can start with a new clean WordPress Multisite install, and just our plugins. Once that’s in place try to import an external feed (from a Google Calendar for example), if that works then try to import from a subsite. If that continues to work, then go ahead an add the theme + other plugins to the site and give this a final test!

Hope it works well,
    Best,
    Nico

Kristin
    Participant

I’ll try this today. Thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Unable to retrieve content from site within multisite (both using same plugin)’ is closed to new replies.