‘Submit event’ form broken after update

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events ‘Submit event’ form broken after update

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Cath
    Participant

Hi
    Unfortunately I just updated the plugin and my site has broken. I get a fatal error message. I will attach message and screen shot in a private reply below…..

Cath
    Participant

This reply is private.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Cath,

I’m sorry you’re running into this issue, but thanks for reaching out!

It looks like that error message is coming from a customization that was made, where it is trying to use functionality that was removed in a newer version. If you can send me a copy of that file you see in the error message in a private reply, I’ll be happy to take a look and see what I can suggest!

In the meantime, if you would like to downgrade Community Events to the previous version, you can do so by following these instructions. That should get your page working until we can get this issue resolved.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Cath
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cath
    Participant

Hi
    I still need some advice on this please.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Cath,

Apologies for the delayed response – our forums have been a bit busier than usual lately.

Thanks for sharing that file with me! The good news is that simply removing that file should solve this issue. It looks like the only customization that was made there was to remove our default limit on the number of categories displayed in the checkboxes. The class it’s using – Tribe__Events__Community__Modules__Taxonomy_Block – was deprecated in the latest version, which is why you are getting the error.

Instead of throwing every single category into a checkbox as in previous versions, version 4.5+ instead displays a few terms automatically and lets users enter a category term, then searches for matching terms as they type. So, users can now access all categories by default, without having to scroll through an endless list of checkboxes!

When you remove the file, the plugin will use our default taxonomy.php file, and you should be good to go! Please let me know how this works for you.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Cath
    Participant

Hi Jennifer
    I am afraid I still don’t have this working. I had some custom work done through codeable and that has been all messed up and the developer won’t help as he says that Modern Tribe have not respected the plugin structure so it is nothing to do with him. He says he has removed the file as above and that it is now the default taxonomy.php file but the category selection is not working at all. I have event categories listed but none of them show up on the category selection so something is still going wrong somewhere….

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Cath,

I’m sorry to hear you’re still running into issues here!

Unfortunately with code customizations (for any theme/plugin), new versions can often result in conflicts with the custom code and cause things to break. We do our best to keep things as consistent as possible to avoid this while also improving performance and adding new features, but sometimes major changes are required to make these improvements. Anytime you have customizations, it’s a good idea to have your developer take a look at the release notes to see what’s changed before updating to new versions.

It sounds like you were able to get the form back (no more fatal error)? Is it just the categories on that page that are not working? If there are other customizations, it could be that something there is conflicting with the latest version, or there could potentially be a conflict with your theme or another plugin as well.

The next step here would be testing for conflicts, and if you can, disabling any customizations as well to see if you can get it working. This should help us narrow down the source of the problem so that we can continue troubleshooting from there.

Let me know what you find out!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Cath
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cath
    Participant

Just double checked- if I deactivate the custom plugin the category selection still does not work. When I type in an event category name in the box it says searching….. then ‘no matches found’

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Cath,

Thanks for sharing all of that info! It sounds like this might be related to a bug we have with the latest version of Community Events. For the time being, I would recommend downgrading to version 4.4.7 by following these instructions (they are for manually updating, but the steps are the same – you can select the version number from the Downloads page in your account).

I linked this thread to our internal ticket so that you will be notified when a fix has been released, but unfortunately I don’t have a timeframe I can give you. I’ll go ahead and set this thread to “pending fix”, but please let me know if downgrading gets your form working in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Cath!

I just wanted to let you know we think this issue is no longer present within our latest release of our plugins. We encourage you to update to the latest versions and try it out.

Please let us know how that goes and don’t hesitate to ask any other question if anything comes up and we’d be happy to assist.

Best!
    Victor

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘‘Submit event’ form broken after update’ is closed to new replies.