Single Event Pages Loading Slow

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Single Event Pages Loading Slow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    elecevan
    Participant

Hi, the single event pages on my website are loading really slow. We’re not having heavy traffic. Before the most recent update, our calendar would hang for a long time when switching from one month to the next in the bottom navigation. The update fixed that issue, but page events are taking a long time.

Cliff

Hi. Sorry you’re experiencing this.

This isn’t currently a confirmed issue so I’d suggest following these recommended troubleshooting steps for your own site:

There might be some new updates available. Could you please make sure all your Modern Tribe plugins (and WordPress core) are at their latest versions?

Once you verify you’re on the latest versions, please test to see if the issue is still happening for you.

If it is, please follow our Testing for Conflicts Guide (basically switch to Twenty Seventeen theme and deactivate all plugins and custom code other than Modern Tribe plugins) and see if that helps narrow down the cause of this.

Of course, we always recommend restorable database and file backups as well as performing modifications first on a staging site before modifying anything on your live/production site.

If it doesn’t, please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG (which will create a file on your server at /wp-content/debug.log if there are any WP_DEBUG messages) and share any debug messages you see while trying to replicate this issue and doing other things on your site relevant to this ticket (such as visiting your site’s home page, events page, single-event pages, and anything else you can think to do).

Then, please share your System Information (while in Testing for Conflicts Mode) in a Private Reply.

That will give me a lot of extra information to help troubleshoot this.

You might also see if you can spot any console errors at your site. (If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

elecevan
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

All of our plugins are up to date. We’re running Avada, Theme Fusion. We’re a church and we were in the middle of Holy Week when EventsCalendar went kapoot. Disabling everything and reverting to Word Press Twenty Seventeen was not an option for us. The lag stopped after I disabled all Modern Tribe plugins. We currently don’t have the TheEventsCalendar running at this time. We may be able to strip down and troubleshoot according to your recommendations during a low traffic time now that we’re past Easter.

Cliff

That’s definitely bad timing. Sorry to hear that.

A staging site is a very important piece of any well-oiled machine (website) for situations like this.

The quickest, easiest thing might be to enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG and see if you notice anything in debug.log

elecevan
    Participant

I’m still having issues with The Events Calendar lagging big time on our site. It was causing the entire site to lag, even pages that didn’t have an Events short code. Not just that, it was causing our page publishing to lag and half the time I would get 404 errors from simply trying to publish. When I disabled all Modern Tribe plugins, our site returned to normal functionality. I enabled the plugins one at a time, Events Calendar, Events Calendar Pro and Ticketing. The biggest culprit appears to be the free Ticketing plugin. I disabled it all together, which bums me out. I’d like to go to the pro version to do event registrations with the advanced form features. With just Events Calendar and Events Calendar Pro running, any page with a Calendar Short Code takes about 10-15 sec. to load as opposed to pages that don’t, which only take a few seconds. The Calendar itself takes 10 seconds to switch from one month to the next. I’m at a point where I think I need to go a different direction all together for our webpage calendar. Pretty frustrated.

elecevan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Thanks for all the details.

Please reference https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/performance-considerations/ for general guidance on this topic.

For your specific case, installing https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor/ (third-party, not guaranteed or supported by us) and taking a screenshot of any slow queries or other issues it highlights might be a good starting point.

Please let me know what you find out.

elecevan
    Participant

I got to the bottom of the problem. I manage the website for a large Catholic church. Our parish admin. wants our daily mass times (2 per day) and weekend masses (5 per weekend) posted on the Calendar. The Calendar settings were creating events 12 months out and keeping 12 months back. We had 1700+ events in our database. WordPress was breaking a major sweat. I changed the settings on the Events Calendar to only backlog recurring events 1 month and project 2 months out making sure all recurring events outside those boundaries were deleted. Now we have no more than 350 events on the site. Things are loading tremendously faster. I’ve learned I need to be more hawkish about the Calendar database. To make sure i didn’t break the recurring events, I did “Edit Upcoming” on each first occurrence for last month, then deleted the the old series starting on it’s old origin date. Not completely necessary but it allowed me to eliminate more recurring events. Fresh start. Thanks for putting up with my gripes. I love your plugin and I’m excited to integrate ticketing.

Cliff

Glad to hear and thanks for letting us know.

Just a heads up that our ticketing product also doesn’t currently support PRO’s recurring events.

If you start to create a ticket for a recurring event, there will be a little question mark notice that reads:

Currently, tickets will only show up on the frontend once per full event. For PRO users this means the same ticket will appear across all events in the series. Please configure your events accordingly.

You should add your vote to this existing feature request for Event Tickets to support PRO’s recurring events.

Something some users are doing right now is using PRO’s recurring events to populate their events calendar but then breaking each occurrence from the series to turn them into single events — basically using PRO as an event generator but not actually using its recurring events functionality on the front-end. Others are just dealing with the tickets on recurring events even though you can’t then tell which occurrence they reserved the ticket for… use this information for your own reference but please don’t take it as any sort of recommendation.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions on this topic.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Single Event Pages Loading Slow’ is closed to new replies.