Search by Location question

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Search by Location question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Alnoah
    Participant

Hi there,

In the description of Events Calendar Pro, it says: “Visitors can search for event in or near their city and state. Map View will even display the distance from the searched location.”

Searching the forum, I found that it isn’t possible to view events by state. Is it possible to search by state abbreviation or full state name? Or is the search by location only limited to zip code and city name? Also, I don’t see the distance from searched location in map view.

Thank you!

Courtney

Hello Fowaz

You can take a look at our example site to see how the plugin functions:

http://wpshindig.com/events/map/?action=tribe_geosearch&tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=map&featured=false&tribe-bar-geoloc-lat=37.4315734&tribe-bar-geoloc-lng=-78.65689420000001&tribe-bar-geoloc=virginia

You’ll see a second search tool, our plugin Filter Bar. That tool specifically can search by state abbreviations. However, the normal search may pull the state results in the Near/Location area. I ran the search on the example using the full name of the state. I do know entering a zip code here will find correct results.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Alnoah
    Participant

This reply is private.

Courtney

This reply is private.

Alnoah
    Participant

Hi Courtney,

I just followed the guide and still have the same problem. I’ve attached screenshots as proof. Can you please take a look?

Thank you!

Courtney

This reply is private.

Alnoah
    Participant

This reply is private.

Courtney

Hi Fowaz

Sorry for the long process to getting an answer. It’d help speed things along if you could attach your System Info when seeking support.

At that URL, I saw a console error. (If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

Google Maps API warning: NoApiKeys https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#no-api-keys

To add your API key,  follow our Setting Up Your Google Maps API Key article and let me know how things go for you.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Alnoah
    Participant

This reply is private.

Courtney

Hi Fowaz

I just tested in Chrome incognito with my cache cleared. I searched for the events I can see on the map already for Indianapolis, Atlanta, and Phoenix and did find the results as expected.

However, I wasn’t able to find the equivalent in searching for state names or abbreviations.

Events > Settings > General > Map view search distance limit
    is where to set the parameter for a search. Can you try expanding that? Google interprets the region as the central point of a state. I’m wondering if your miles may be too small for some states to be picked up. Atlanta seems to be a bit further north than the default miles from the center of Georgia.

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Alnoah
    Participant

Events > Settings > General > Map view search distance limit

This setting seems to be at the center of it all, indeed. This is problematic however, since I need the distance to be on the lower end, but at least I’m glad to know what the issue was.

Although I wish it didn’t take 12 days, thank you very much for helping me find the root of the issue.

Much appreciated,
    Fowaz

Courtney

Thanks Fowaz – I too would like to reach answers much sooner. Here’s hoping our future support is faster.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Sam
    Participant

Hi Courtney – I have also been having issues understanding TEC geocoding/location search/filter bar, so I was happy to come across this thread. However, in regards to your earlier post (#934), the link you provided does indeed show an event at a Virginia venue. Great! However, once one plays around with the filter bar (or actually simply hits the FIND EVENTS button without selecting anything), the result(s) are lost – Virginia is no more.

Is this something you all are working on? Meanwhile, what can we do to prevent TEC from losing this critical information?

And also related to this subject…after a geolocation query, or any type of query, and then subsequently clicking on an event, and then thereafter clicking on the All Events link to go back to your previous (customized) results page – TEC simply links to a blank slate All Events page, and all your results are lost. Oversight, bug, or something else?

Thank you kindly!

Sam

Sam
    Participant

Courtney – One more quick but import question…what’s the correct URL construction for doing a search for Virginia (without long & lat)?

http://wpshindig.com/events/map/?action=tribe_geosearch&tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=list&featured=false&tribe-bar-geoloc=virginia

…doesn’t work.

I’m trying to dynamically create URL by injecting a state or zip code, but can’t find proper construction.

I only use list (not maps), btw.

Thanks again,

Sam

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Sam. Reason: Added...."I only use list (not maps), btw." to specify my use
    Courtney

Hi @beekoff,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for chiming in.
    For the sake of keeping things clean — as your issue seems a bit different than the original — I would kindly like to ask you to open a separate topic. We will be here to help you out and you will get your own personal consultant who will be focusing on your issue. 

Thanks and cheers!
    Courtney

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Search by Location question’ is closed to new replies.