Help Desk

Paypal sandbox account

Hi there! I want to test out the Event tickets plus plugin with Tribe Commerce using paypal sandbox account. I couldn’t find any info about that in your docs or forums. It might not be a big deal but still I’d like to be able to test it first. Can you point me in the right direction? Is it even possible with your plugin? Thanks.

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out. I will try to help with your question.

This is indeed possible. Before using the sandbox mode on your site, you will need to setup sandbox accounts for both Merchant and Buyer to fully test. This can be done at https://developer.paypal.com/developer/accounts/

When you enable Tribe Commerce in Events > Settings > Tickets, the PayPal settings will show. One of these settings is “Enable PayPal sandbox.” You will want to check this, and then use your PayPal Sandbox Merchant account email for the “PayPal email to receive payments” field. If I remember correctly, you need to check “yes” on the two following questions about IPN settings even if you haven’t actually done so.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Sky

This reply has been marked as private.

Hi again,

Looking back over how I set this up on my test environment, I actually did need to enable instant payment notifications (IPN) in my PayPal account’s Selling Tools. It was just the Notification’s URL that didn’t need to be set up.

Have you set this up? What does it say for your “PayPal configuration status” in the settings? Does it say “complete?”

Thanks,
    Sky

Any chance for your reply? Not to be rude or anything but I have everything on hold trying to resolve this issue. Or do you want me post a new ticket?

Hi there,

I apologize for the delay, but our support team only operates Monday through Friday.

Thank you for the screenshot. It looks like you at least have the paypal settings configure correctly.

Can you try the process with the Twenty Seventeen theme enabled, and all other plugins disabled? Do you see the same result on the success page?

Thanks,
    Sky

Thanks Sky!
    I am trying this on staging site but ran into a few more issues that I’m trying to solve. For example, when buying a ticket I get message from Paypal that this invoice has been paid. Or the success message redirects to the live site even though I did change the setting on business account. Because of these issues I’m not able to move forward with testing without some workarounds.
    A few other problems with tickets have surfaced. Should I just create a new support ticket for each problem or just post here? What do you suggest?
    In the meantime I’ll create a fresh install as you suggested and see if anything changes.
    Thanks.

Hi again,

If you have found other errors regarding tickets, it would be best if you created a new post for those.

Let me know if you see any different behavior with the default theme and plugins disabled.

Thanks,
    Sky

Sky, I did what you suggested. I disabled all the plugins except : TEC, Events Calendar Pro, Event tickets and Event Tickets Plus. I changed the theme to twentyseventeen. Here is the message I got on success page:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/folder/public_html/wp-content/themes/twentyseventeen/header.php:15) in /home/folder/public_html/wp-content/plugins/event-tickets/src/Tribe/Commerce/PayPal/Gateway.php on line 404

Which is exactly the same message as with our working theme. Based on this it seems the problem is not in the theme or plugins.

And because of this (or not) there are two issues:
    1) even though I placed no less than 5 orders, none of them are showing up in wordpress
    2) the stock doesn’t change

At first I was using sandbox feature but then moved to real accounts.

One more issue is that the plugin apparently sends the same id for multiple ( or all) of our events. I came to this conclusion because even though I was attempting to purchase different tickets Paypal came with the message: this invoice has already been paid contact merchant. This is an issue. I had to go to paypal settings and allow multiple payments on the same invoice – hardly a good idea. I wonder why the plugin doesn’t generate different invoices (or ids) for each of the tickets.

Okay, I wrote it all here because it seems that all these issues stem from one problem. But if you don’t think so I’ll be happy to post multiple threads. Please let me know.

Hello,

Thanks for trying that out.

Can you verify the following:

* you have a page selected in Events > Settings > Tickets > “Success Page”
    * on the page that is selected in the above, you have added the shortcode [tribe-tpp-success]
    * in your paypal account, you have enabled instant payment notifications (IPN) in your PayPal account’s Selling Tools
    * in your paypal account, you have entered your site’s address in the Notification URL field in IPN Settings

Also, what do you have set for Events > Settings > Tickets > “Stock handling”?

Thanks,
    Sky

Can you do me a favor, please?

The EDIT feature here is not working so can you please remove the screenshot I posted or set the reply as private.
    Thanks so much!

Hello,

Thanks for verifying that for me.

Do you have the site password protected or set up with a “coming soon” plugin? It’s possible that the Paypal API is not able to reach the site to confirm the order.

Thanks,
    Sky

Thanks Sky. I thought that too and disabled the coming soon mode and retested a few times without it. Something else is going on.

I also set up a fresh install (on different server – WPEngine, if it makes any difference) and tested with twentyseventeen theme. The problem I got there was not with the headers but with stock not changing and no paypal orders reflected in wordpress. I tried with sandbox and real accounts. In addition to that, same problem with same invoice id that is being generated by the plugin.

Hi again,

Regarding WP Engine… There is a known bug right now where tickets are not showing up after creation. This is due to the object caching method that they are using, and a fix is being worked on for that. For now, the workaround is to either disable object caching, or flush the cache after creating a ticket. The tickets will show if you flush the cache.

Is the original site also on WP Engine? Are you using the same plugin versions and setups in both places?

Do you have a cache enabled on that site? If so, I would recommend disabling the “coming soon” plugin, then flushing the cache before testing.

For the ticket stock not changing: Can you go through the troubleshooting steps outlined in https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/ticket-stock-doesnt-decrease/ and see if the stock changes when using COD as a payment method for the ticket?

I’m not sure what you’re describing about the “invoice id.” Can you provide a screenshot of where you see this id? I just went through the purchase process using a sandbox account, and I did not see an invoice id anywhere.

Thanks,
    Sky

Yep, I knew that. I think I read every knowledge base article and many of the threads trying to figure this out. I did have an issue on wpengine – the tickets wouldn’t show up at all. So I disabled caching, purged the cache and that problem was gone. The problem with stock not changing and no sale reflected, that is what bothers me most.

Original site lives on siteground not wpengine.
    The main issue is that paypal doesn’t seem to communicate with your plugin. Every successful purchase I made I got an email from paypal. The business account also got emails. That’s good. But again, same thing, the website doesn’t know anything about it.
    I’ve been following this tread for some time now : https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/checkout-using-ticket-plus-stopped-working-no-e-comerce/#post-1554624

and did some of the things Barry suggested, namely installed Log http headers, health check, enabled wp-debug. Used all of that and can’t find any issue. Except that health check plugin isn’t working as it should, but that’s another topic.

To answer your question about invoice id, this is a paypal term, not mine. I will provide some screenshots to illustrate that:
    1. the invoice ids on some of the tickets are indeed the same – different tickets and/or different transactions
    2. when the setting on paypal side is to block payments for same invoice is ON (which is logical default setting), it won’t complete the payment at all. My question is why the invoice ids are the same for multiple tickets and how to change that?
    Thanks

P.S. while I was getting screenshots ready I’ve noticed another issue – login before purchasing link (see screenshot) even though I didn’t enable it in settings.
    You’ll see two cape romano tickets – they are not the same ticket, it’s two different transactions, but invoice ids are same, hence paypal won’t let me complete the purchase unless I disable block payments on same invoice.

I hope this is all clear and helpful.

Won’t let me upload more than 4 files.

one more

One more thing I forgot to address – your suggestion about COD. Well, how do I do that if I’m not using woocommerce and not planning to? I’m trying to use Tribe Commerce only…

Thanks.

Hi again,

Thank you for all the screenshots. That really helped illustrate the problem for me.

To make sure I understand everything that’s going on here:

The payments are going through, and Paypal is sending out emails. But nothing shows up in either the “view attendees” or “view orders” tabs? And the tickets are not being emailed out?

Paypal is generating identical invoice numbers on it’s end, which prevents the order from being completed unless you disable the blocking of identical invoice IDs.

And on the WP Engine site, you have set up the Tribe Commerce settings, disabled Paypal sandbox mode, and have configured your Paypal IPN settings to point to the new WP Engine domain and payment confirmation page?

I’m about out of ideas of what to check on my end. I will need to escalate this and bring in some other eyes to look for the issue. It will help if I can provide screenshots of of your various settings in both the plugin settings and on Paypal. Can you provide screenshots for the following:

* Your complete Tribe Commerce Settings
    * Your Paypal IPN Settings
    * Your Paypal “Website Payment Preferences” settings, including Auto Return, Return URL, and Payment Data Transfer
    * For one of the events that you have sold tickets during testing, the “view attendees” and “view orders” screens.

For examples screenshots of the Paypal settings, see https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/tribe-commerce-paypal/

The login before purchasing link issue can be explained like so:

The Log in before purchasing link is just an option for the user to log in before continuing with the purchase, but is not a requirement. The Buy Now button is showing up and users are allowed to purchase tickets. On the other hand, if you enable the setting to require users to be logged in before purchasing tickets, it won’t show the Buy Now button and will display the Login to purchase message instead.

Thanks for your patience with this. It’s hard to troubleshoot when I can’t replicate the exact scenario in my own test environment. But we will get to the bottom of this.

If you can verify that my understanding of the issue is correct and provide those additional screenshots, I will reach out to my colleagues for additional help.

Thanks,
    Sky

Hello Sky,

“The payments are going through, and Paypal is sending out emails. But nothing shows up in either the “view attendees” or “view orders” tabs? And the tickets are not being emailed out?”

Absolutely correct!

” Paypal is generating identical invoice numbers on it’s end, which prevents the order from being completed unless you disable the blocking of identical invoice IDs.”

I thought the plugin generated invoices, but okay… maybe it is Paypal

” And on the WP Engine site, you have set up the Tribe Commerce settings, disabled Paypal sandbox mode, and have configured your Paypal IPN settings to point to the new WP Engine domain and payment confirmation page?”

Absolutely correct with one mild difference: only free versions of plugins were used, not pro versions. I did it on purpose to see if the issue is with pro versions somehow. But it’s not.

Thanks for trying to help. I really appreciate it.

I will provide the screenshots as requested. It will take a bit of time. Thanks.

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

Can you explain what you mean by “only free versions of plugins were used, not pro versions”?

In order for the ticket functionality to work, you must be using Events Tickets Plus, which is a premium (paid) plugin.

Thanks,
    Sky

That’s incorrect Sky. You can still use Tribe Commerce with free versions. I never moved our license and was able to make purchases.

Almost done with my screenshots

Thanks

Yes, sorry I was mistaken. You can indeed use Tribe Commerce without Events Tickets Plus.

Thanks,
    Sky

Thank you so much for all of that information!

It turns out that others are experiencing similar issues. I’ve attached this thread to the bug ticket, and I’m going to mark it as “pending fix.” Once this fix is completed, someone will follow back up with you here to let you know. Unfortunately, I cannot provide a timeline of when the fix will be released, but it is being actively worked on.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Thanks,
    Sky