Not showing all events in day view

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Not showing all events in day view

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Fifty
    Participant

We have, for example, twelve events on Jan 8th and twelve events on Jan 9th. It’s also shown that way in the month view, where it says “See all 12”. But when you click to the day view, I only see a few of them. I see 4 events on Jan 8th and 6 on Jan 9th. But not twelve.

Seems to be the issue on all pages, all random checks I did showed not all events in day view.
    Also checked admin section, there the number of events (including recurring ones) is correct.

What can be the cause? And is there a way to debug?

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Fifty,

Thanks for reaching out to us! I’m sorry about this issue you are having with the day view. I have checked your site and it seems to work fine in all other views.

The best way to start to find the cause would be running a test for conflicts.

Please follow this guide which will help you do this test. Then get back to me with the results and we see if anything turns up there.

Also I see that your WordPress version is an older one. You might want to give that – and any older plugins – an update before testing.

Will be waiting for your answer.

Cheers,
    Andras

Fifty
    Participant

Hi Andras,

What guide? I assume link is missing … 😉

Upgraded WP to lastest plus almost all plugins (including yours: now 4.4.0.1 and Pro at 4.4), but still same issue.

Andras
    Keymaster

I’m truly sorry, Fifty. I forgot to give you the link. Here it is:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/

Meanwhile I also managed to reproduce the issue you reported. I’m not trying to get some input from the team, possibly another set of eyes on this to check whether this is intended behavior or not. Please hang in there, I’ll be in touch shortly.

Cheers,
    Andras

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello again Fifty,

As a first I owe you an apology, I didn’t manage to reproduce yet. That was for a different issue.

While I try to dig in to that there are couple more things that can be checked.

I see that you are using a caching plugin. Could you deactivate that and check if the issue persists? Maybe an earlier version is stuck in the cache.

And let me know the result of the conflict test please. It might be that some other plugin is interfering.

Also we have recently released an update to our plugins. Might want to update them too.

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Brad Mitchell
    Participant

I noticed the same problem on a client’s site. I compared events that displayed versus those that didn’t.

In my situation, the start and end date for events that didn’t appear in day view were in the past. They had recurrence rules for instances on a later date then the end date.

For example, the start and end date for an event were both set to 3/5/2017, but had three “Date” type recurrence rules with the last one being on 3/26/2017. Once I updated the end state to match the latest recurrence rule, the event displayed on the day page for 3/12/17.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Drew,

Thanks for chiming in and giving us an example.

Since you also have a similar experience, it would be great if you could help a bit further.

Based on what you wrote as a solution I understand the following: you set up the main event to last from 3/5/2017 to 3/26/2017, so it was an event lasting 21 days; and you set up 2-3 recurrences as well?

And when you set up the main event to last one day (from and to 3/5/2017) then some recurrence(s) didn’t show up?

Thanks for the clarification!

Andras

Fifty
    Participant

Hi András,

Turning off the cache had no effect. Also saw your conflicts checklist, but switching a crowdy live site to another theme and disabling plugins is not an option.

I added the Query Monitor plugin to see what goes on in the background. For example, I tested on Jan 22nd. Our monthview (and admin) say that there are 15 events, but the single date view for Jan 22nd shows only 6 events. And when I copied – what seemed – the main query from TEC to PHPmyAdmin, it also gave 6 events.

I’m now checking with my collegues if 6 should be the correct answer, or 15.

Will get back if I have more debugging info.

BTW, the query I tested was:

SELECT DISTINCT wp_posts.*, MIN(wp_postmeta.meta_value) as EventStartDate, MIN(tribe_event_end_date.meta_value) as EventEndDate
    FROM wp_posts 
    INNER JOIN wp_postmeta
    ON ( wp_posts.ID = wp_postmeta.post_id )
    LEFT JOIN wp_postmeta as tribe_event_end_date
    ON ( wp_posts.ID = tribe_event_end_date.post_id
    AND tribe_event_end_date.meta_key = '_EventEndDate' ) 
    WHERE 1=1 
    AND ( wp_postmeta.meta_key = '_EventStartDate' )
    AND wp_posts.post_type = 'tribe_events'
    AND (wp_posts.post_status = 'publish'
    OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tribe-ea-success'
    OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tribe-ea-failed'
    OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tribe-ea-schedule'
    OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tribe-ea-pending'
    OR wp_posts.post_status = 'tribe-ea-draft'
    OR wp_posts.post_status = 'private')
    AND ((wp_postmeta.meta_value >= '2017-01-22 00:00:01'
    AND wp_postmeta.meta_value <= '2017-01-22 23:59:59')
    OR (tribe_event_end_date.meta_value >= '2017-01-22 00:00:01'
    AND wp_postmeta.meta_value <= '2017-01-22 23:59:59' )
    OR (wp_postmeta.meta_value < '2017-01-22 00:00:01'
    AND tribe_event_end_date.meta_value >= '2017-01-22 23:59:59' ))
    GROUP BY wp_posts.ID
    ORDER BY EventStartDate ASC, wp_posts.post_date ASC

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Fifty,

Thanks for sharing that! You were reading my mind, using query monitor would have been my next suggestion so you are one step ahead. 🙂

I understand that testing on a live site is not always easy. Would it be possible to make a clone staging site or to create one for testing?

Andras

Brad Mitchell
    Participant

In my case, we only want the event to be one day long and occur every week for three weeks. If I set the end date to 3/26/2017 it now appears on the day view for 3/12/17, but shows as an event lasting more than one day. If the start and end date are the same with recurrence rules for every week for three weeks after the end date, the event no longer appears on the day view for 3/12/17, which is wrong.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,

Hmmm… interesting.

This looks like a bit different issue than the above. To keep things clean in the forums here, I kindly ask you to open a new thread so you can get dedicated attention without any clutter.

When you open the new thread please do remember to share your system information, a description of the issue and maybe a screenshot or two of how the event and it’s recurrences are set up in your back-end? It will help us recreate it as accurately as possible and test if we have a bug on our hands or not.

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Fifty
    Participant

For future reference, I may have found the cause of this unexpected behaviour. Currently we’re testing and watching close if we have solved the issue.

I found that there were single day events in our calendar which had an ’empty’ recurrence object (see image with red border). Even though it was a single day event, the result of this was that this event was shown on all days of the related month in the month view. Example: if it was an event at Jan 10th, it was shown in the day view of Jan 10th only (and correctly) but also on all days of the month view of January (incorrectly).

How it could have happened to get an ’empty’ recurrence/serie probably was caused by the way the event was added: It appears that it is possible to create a ‘serie’ for just once at the same time of the primary event. That is what accidentally happened, because the editor of the events in our calendar thought it was required to fill in all fields. So understandable that he added “too much data”.

Would be best if you can only create a series if the recurrence pattern is more that once at a different time then the primary event.

Maybe this helps!

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Fifty,

What a find! Great stuff. We will test this out internally and if it cases a but the we will check what can be done about it.

I will leave the topic open for now so you can report back later whether the issue disappeared with that or not. (Note: that if there is no activity on the thread for 3 weeks, then it will be automatically closed.)

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Not showing all events in day view’ is closed to new replies.