Map view does not show all events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Map view does not show all events

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ali
    Participant

Hi,

The map view does not show all events for some reason. If you look at list view, you’ll be able to see all events that should be showing.

I think any event that uses a new venue does not show up on the map view, but if we use any of the venues that were imported from our previous website, then it will show up fine.

I tested this by creating a new event with a new venue. Once I change the venue to one of the ones that were imported, it then shows up fine.

Ali
    Participant

Also, if I go change the address on one of the old imported venues that do still work, the location on the map stays the same. Maybe this is an issue with venues not saving a geolocation?

Geoff

Hi there, Ali!ย Welcome to the forums. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry for the issue. From the sound of it, I wonder if the Google Maps API is unable to verify the address of the locations in question.

If you check out the Event Rocket plugin (not supported by us here in the forums), it does provide a tool to confirm the coordinates of a particular venue. Are you able to give that a try and see if it helps?

Let’s start with that and go from there.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Ali
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

You’re right, the coordinates are showing up as 0, 0 for new venues. What could be causing this issue? How does your plugin generate the coordinates?

Thanks

Geoff

The coordinates are generated by interacting with the Google Maps API. If Google Maps cannot verify the address, it will return 0 for the coordinates, nullifying the location from the map.

You should be good to go by clearing those coordinates up and moving on from there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Ali
    Participant

Geoff,

This doesn’t solve my problem. Any new venue I create (regardless of address) I get the 0,0 coordinates. Also, if I go to one of the venues that IS working and change the address, the coordinates do not change and remain the same as old address. This tells me that the coordinate fields are not being updated at all.

How can we resolve this?

Thanks

Ali
    Participant

I followed the instructions on this thread: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/geolocation-search-and-map-view/

and here’s the output below. Does this give you anything to help me? I don’t think we’re over any limits because we have other websites using the maps coming from the same IP and they work just fine.

No geometry data
    array(5) {
    [“headers”]=>
    array(12) {
    [“content-type”]=>
    string(31) “application/json; charset=UTF-8”
    [“date”]=>
    string(29) “Wed, 04 Mar 2015 09:05:17 GMT”
    [“pragma”]=>
    string(8) “no-cache”
    [“expires”]=>
    string(29) “Fri, 01 Jan 1990 00:00:00 GMT”
    [“cache-control”]=>
    string(25) “no-cache, must-revalidate”
    [“access-control-allow-origin”]=>
    string(1) “*”
    [“server”]=>
    string(4) “mafe”
    [“x-xss-protection”]=>
    string(13) “1; mode=block”
    [“x-frame-options”]=>
    string(10) “SAMEORIGIN”
    [“alternate-protocol”]=>
    string(14) “80:quic,p=0.08”
    [“accept-ranges”]=>
    string(4) “none”
    [“vary”]=>
    string(31) “Accept-Language,Accept-Encoding”
    }
    [“body”]=>
    string(137) “{
    “error_message” : “You have exceeded your daily request quota for this API.”,
    “results” : [],
    “status” : “OVER_QUERY_LIMIT”
    }

[“response”]=>
    array(2) {
    [“code”]=>
    int(200)
    [“message”]=>
    string(2) “OK”
    }
    [“cookies”]=>
    array(0) {
    }
    [“filename”]=>
    NULL
    }

Geoff

That’s interesting–the output you shared contains an error notice that your domain has exceeded the number of queries for the Google Maps API. Is your site using the API in more places than the calendar alone?

What happens if you try re-creating a venue from scratch from one of the examples are not working?

On an interested note, I notice that when visiting the /events page on your site, the Page Title in the browser tab changes from “Upcoming Events” to “undefined” once the page fully loads. Is it possible there is a conflict with the theme or another plugin? Please run through these steps outlined in this guide and let me know if you see a difference.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Ali
    Participant

Yes, the undefined title is another issue on top of the venues not working

This is what we have done:

– We turned off all other plugins
    – We switched to the Twenty Thirteen theme
    – We completely removed all data related to your plugins using the tool your plugin provides
    – We completely removed all of your plugins
    – We then installed a fresh copy
    – We tried adding new venues with all sort of different addresses and still the same problem, the lat and long are 0, 0

Our hosting is on Rackspace Cloud Sites

Geoff

Hi there, Ali!

That’s super helpful–thanks for the additional information.

It looks like this is actually due to the shared hosting plan you have. All sites on the same shared plan also share the same IP address. Between all the domains on the shared plan, all of them are allowed up to the 20K requests limit that Google applies to it’s Maps API. In other words, if a single site on the shared server gets heavy traffic, then all the others are blocked.

Unfortunately, the only solution here is to upgrade to a better server, preferably one with a dedicated IP address like Virtual Private Server (VPS).

Sorry I don’t have a concrete solution for you on our end, but I do hope this helps shed some light on what’s happening.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hi there, Ali! This thread’s been quiet for a while, so I’m going to go ahead and close it. Please feel free to start a new thread if any other questions pop up and we’d be happy to help. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Map view does not show all events’ is closed to new replies.