Location Search by City not working

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Location Search by City not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Matthew
    Participant

Hi,

I’m having a problem with my location search. I have events in Melbourne and Vancouver, if you type those cities in the ‘near’ field you get no results. Also, no drop-down menu appears to select those cities like happens when you enter, say, ‘sydney’ and ‘Sydney NSW, Australia’ pops up for you to click. Oddly, if you filter by some other method; enter a postcode, select the organizer etc. the events display on the map or in the list just fine with their venue info showing the map as normal.

I’ve tried the following to fix it after some forum browsing, none of these work:
    1. Check Venue Co-ordinates on events rocket – they display fine and searching them on google maps takes you to the right place
    2. Deactivated all plugins except events calendar and pro and filterbar + activated twenty fifteen (I’ve left it like that for now)
    3. Created new events with test venues and organizers with addresses in those cities (you can select Test Venue – Melbourne from the filterbar to see this)
    4. Deactivated TEC Pro, flushed cache and reactivated it

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Mat

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi Again,

Sorry for the issues with the Location Search.

I visited your site and the first time I was not able to get anything for Melbourne, but now I am.

I entered in the Melbourne Address you have on my site and was able to search for it and it showed in a dropdown for me as well.

Are you seeing anything different too?

Let me know and we can go from here.

Thanks

Matthew
    Participant

Hi Brian,

I’m still having the same issue with Melbourne, but it started working for Vancouver after I did the following:

Expanded the radius to 500km
    Searched Seattle to see if it would pick up the Vancouver events (it did)
    Then searched Vancouver and it worked, it still does…weird

I could try a similar fix for Melbourne, but I’d rather not until I know why it’s happening, otherwise it will happen to my users in the future without me knowing…

Thanks for your help, let me know what you think I should do next

Mat

Brian
    Keymaster

Yeah no sure what is wrong with Melbourne in the search. I actually got that to work on my site and on the second try your site.

Since you have events all over the world it might be a good idea to increase the radius to get as many events as possible.

I can look into this more tomorrow and see if I can find anything else out.

Cheers

Matthew
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi Mat,

I was unable to reproduce the error before and for me it worked on a second try with Melbourne on your site so it is not clear what the issue is.

To help narrow down this issue if you can run through our testing for conflicts guide:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/

That will help see if it is the setup of the site or just the plugin itself having the issue.

Also, we do have a beta of 3.10 that does have improvements that may help this, you can sign up here: http://m.tri.be/vy

Let me know what you find out.

Matthew
    Participant

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me, but I have to say I’m a bit disappointed with the reply. You can see if you just read my initial post that I have already tried the conflict checks “2. Deactivated all plugins except events calendar and pro and filterbar + activated twenty fifteen”.

I went ahead and did it again, also deactivated filterbar and activated twenty thirteen (instead of fifteen). I cleared wordpress cache and my browser, that also made no difference. I again tried adding a new event in melbourne, searching melbourne still does not find it.

I’ve outlined the problem exactly below:

vancouver -> an event in Portland, none of the 4 in Vancouver
    melbourne -> no events

a vancouver zip (V6B 6C1) -> all 4 Vancouver events
    a melbourne zip (VIC 3006) -> all 4 Melbourne events

The beta version is not an option, I’m approaching potential clients and can’t really use experimental versions (I have a meeting with one this weekend who has events in Vancouver).

I really feel like you have fobbed me off here. I’m not asking for customization, I just want the features I paid for to work as they were described. I’m happy to re-enter events or delete tables in the database or whatever, just tell me what I have to do. I’ve left open access to the website so you can see for yourself. Could you please actually go and look, the fact that it works on your site really doesn’t help me (and it’s very strange that it only worked on the second try). I’ve deactivated everything else so what else am I supposed to do?

Brian
    Keymaster

Sorry to disappoint, I should have reread the initial posting closer that was my fault. Thanks for providing the information again.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to resolve this right now.

We are working to launch 3.10 in the next couple of weeks so the coding is frozen for the plugins right now.

It is possible to get a maintenance release to fix this, but that is at least a month away if not longer.

If that is not good enough then I can provide a refund to you, but I have no immediate solutions to this.

Matthew
    Participant

Hi Brian,

No worries, I’m not planning to launch my site until around August and up until then I’m just showing it to potential clients, I can avoid the city searches for now.

I’ll really need a fix before August though, I’ll wait until 3.10 comes out and see if that solves the issue. If it does not would you be willing to have another look at it?

Thanks,
    Mat

Brian
    Keymaster

Ok sounds good. I am creating a ticket for us to look at the Location Search and explore this issues in the next release. So we are going to address it and see about a resolution.

Brian
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Matthew
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brian
    Keymaster

I use a plugin called BackWPUp to do this.

BackWPup – WordPress Backup Plugin

You can setup a backup of the db and files and then get the file it creates and place it in dropbox and share the link.

That is usually the best way.

Matthew
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brian
    Keymaster

Thanks for the files.

I was able to setup the site and it does recreate the bug. So that is good as we have something to test off.

I am going to make a backup of it again as I stripped out everything that is not needed for testing. Then I will test on 3.10 and see if that helps.

If not I will create a ticket to look into this issue for the release after 3.10.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Location Search by City not working’ is closed to new replies.