Issues in the event submit form: 24h format and currency symbol missing

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Issues in the event submit form: 24h format and currency symbol missing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Oliver
    Participant

Hi,

the new Event Submit form in the version 4.5. of the Community Events Plugin looks really cleaned up, that’s great!

Unfortunately I identified some issues and want to recommend some improvements as well:

1. The time format is showing not up in 24h format, only as a.m./p.m. (this issues has been fixed before)
    2. In the upper part of the form the “title” of the form shows up three times (see attached screenshot)
    3. The currency symbol can’t be typed in anymore. We are targeting the German market, therefore we need Euro and Swiss Franc for the event cost.

Best regards,
    Oliver

Oliver
    Participant

Are there any news on this topic?

Oliver
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

This reply is private.

Oliver
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

thanks for your fast reply!

1. You found the issue! The system settings in the WordPress settings have been wrong (we moved two weeks ago to a new server. At this time I have set up the new test environment and forgot to change the config there). Now it works! 🙂

2. With the menu you are right again! I will check this out more deeply, maybe I can get rid of the second “title” as well.

3. A whitelist of currency symbols that can be defined in the TEC settings and a dropdown in event submit form would be a perfect solution! I really would appreciate this! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Best regards,
    Oliver

Cliff

Great!

Lucky you… here’s a beta version of a forthcoming extension: https://cl.ly/1O1k3c0J1f3W

Just install it like a regular plugin. (See reference https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/how-to-install-an-extension/ for additional information.)

Please try it out (knowing that the code should work but it hasn’t gone through full QA) and share your feedback (if it works, if the settings are intuitive, if it’s missing any functionality, etc). In other words, please try to break it… and know that you shouldn’t use this version once the non-beta version is released.

Thanks and happy Friday! 🙂

Oliver
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

thanks for your super fast feedback! 🙂

I installed the plugin successfully. But when I activate it and try to configure the settings in the WordPress backend I get only a white screen (the frontend / event submit form works fine, but I can’t see any changes).

Any idea on this?

Best regards,
    Oliver

Cliff

Please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG (which will create a file on your server at /wp-content/debug.log if there are any WP_DEBUG messages) and share any debug messages you see.

Also, would you be able to share a screen capture video to clarify exactly what’s happening here?

Oliver
    Participant

Well, a video just shows you a white screen 😉

But I’m sure the debug info will be helpful:

[12-Jun-2017 19:20:31 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class 'Tribe__Settings_Helper' not found in /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-content/plugins/tribe-ext-community-event-cost-currency-symbol/index.php:54
    Stack trace:
    #0 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): Tribe__Extension__CE_Event_Cost_Currency_Symbol->add_settings('')
    #1 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(323): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
    #2 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-includes/plugin.php(453): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
    #3 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php(44): do_action('admin_init')
    #4 {main}
      thrown in /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-content/plugins/tribe-ext-community-event-cost-currency-symbol/index.php on line 54
    [12-Jun-2017 19:20:34 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class 'Tribe__Settings_Helper' not found in /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-content/plugins/tribe-ext-community-event-cost-currency-symbol/index.php:54
    Stack trace:
    #0 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): Tribe__Extension__CE_Event_Cost_Currency_Symbol->add_settings('')
    #1 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(323): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
    #2 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-includes/plugin.php(453): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
    #3 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-admin/admin.php(154): do_action('admin_init')
    #4 /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-admin/edit.php(10): require_once('/hp/cp/aa/jw/ww...')
    #5 {main}
      thrown in /hp/cp/aa/jw/www/clean/wp-content/plugins/tribe-ext-community-event-cost-currency-symbol/index.php on line 54
    Cliff

Easy fix; sorry about that. Copying and pasting from older extensions got me in trouble there, but it didn’t fail on my side because I have some older extensions installed.

I also enhanced it to add the Before/After positioning option that used to be on the CE form but in a slightly different fashion.

This one shouldn’t fail for you and is pretty much completed code-wise: https://cl.ly/1D241I3v2n1K

Please let me know how this goes for you.

Oliver
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

now it works! 🙂

I like the implementation, it’s very flexible!
    Nevertheless I would recommend some changes:

1. I guess it is not necessary to have the option to select the position of the currency symbol at the frontend. I would leave this at the backend (TEC settings)
    Why?
    a) A central setting gives a website owner to have a consistent display of all events
    b) It’s less effort to add a new event (less is more)

2. I would put the currency symbol selection directly behind the cost field.
    Why?
    a) It reduces the number of lines needed
    b) It’s more intuitive

Find attached a mockup for a better understanding.

Best regards,
    Oliver

PS: For what is the “x” needed in the currency dropdown selection in the frontend? (maybe not needed)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Oliver.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Oliver.
    Cliff

Great feedback!

1. I added the ability to disable it via the tribe_ext_ce_cost_currency_symbol_position_enabled filter, but I guess I could add a checkbox to more easily disable it. I wasn’t sure anyone would want it disabled at all.
    2. I understand the idea of displaying the symbol “inline” with the cost field, but I think it could be confusing for users if the symbol goes in front by default. For example “$ <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>cost</span>” vs “<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>cost</span> $”. I can see the pros and cons of each but think I’ll leave it as-is. You might be able to add some CSS or JS to move it around if you wish… or fork the extension and come up with your own separate plugin to do something slightly different with it.
    3. The “x” in the drop-down is to clear out the current selection. Therefore, if it displays “$ x”, click the “x” to set it to “” (blank). It’s just part of Select2’s drop-downs.

I’m glad its functionality should work for you! Thanks for bringing up the issue of this missing from the new version of the Community Events form. FYI: The Google Maps checkboxes for the Venues will be coming back as a separate extension as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions on this topic prior to this extension’s release.

Oliver
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback!

My answer on:
    1. A checkbox in the TEC settings to disable the currency symbol position dropdown in the event submit form would be great! (and a perfect solution for me). Can you sent me a beta for testing?
    2. Yes, this is just a usability point of, but there is not necessarily a change needed.
    3. Ok, I thought that it works something like that
    4. For me the Google Checkboxes are not needed in the event submit form 😉

Best,
    Oliver

Cliff

Hi, Oliver. Sorry for the delayed reply. I got the OK to turn that filter into a checkbox and will update this thread once that’s available. However, note that this extension won’t be officially released until a future version of Community Events that has the ability to detect if we’re in the “Add New” or “Edit Existing” mode of the Community Events form, so as to not set defaults when in Edit mode. Therefore, I suspect this extension may not be released for at least 1-2 months.

Oliver
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

I installed the lastet version of the Community Events Plugin and realized that the currency symbol field is not available in the Events submit form.

As stated above (“3. The currency symbol can’t be typed in anymore. We are targeting the German market, therefore we need Euro and Swiss Franc for the event cost.”) we need that field.

When will it be available again?

Best regards,
    Oliver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘Issues in the event submit form: 24h format and currency symbol missing’ is closed to new replies.