Imports from Google Calendar not working

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Imports from Google Calendar not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Participant

Here is a link to my previous issue: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/scheduled-imports-not-updating/
    When I changed the schedule of updating from every hour to daily, it seemed to be working. However, it no longer is. Even when I run the import myself it still does not update. It seems to recognize the additional events, or changes on the import (it will say 5 new 77 updated), but won’t actually change the events. I have the most recent update installed, and am not sure what to do at this point.

Cliff

Hi, Jason.

Sorry you’re experiencing this.

That previous thread you linked to was attached to a bug report regarding non-specific messaging when an error does occur.

Could you please provide a link to the iCal URL you’re trying to import at this time?

Also, are you experiencing errors importing new events from the iCal feed or just updating previously-imported events to the latest information?

Jason
    Participant

I’ll provide you with one iCAL url that’s not importing, but all of them seem to be having the issue. However, I have discovered, that it will only import new events, but will not import updated or deleted events.
    https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/mrrl.org_go1l4amaq5pjk08d285avvvjhg%40group.calendar.google.com/private-71968b5ad2058e3b349c20979221b4ae/basic.ics

Cliff

Please let me know what your Event Update Authority is set to at wp-admin > Events > Settings > Import tab — https://cl.ly/3K052J2C0N1o

Jason
    Participant

It is set to Overwrite my event with any changes from the original source.

Jason
    Participant

Another problem I noticed, is that when I update the event in WordPress since it will not transfer the update from Google Calendars, then once the import runs again, it removes my update I put in on the wordpress side, and still not update the event correctly from google calendars.

Cliff

Here’s a video of me testing: https://cl.ly/070t0v413j17

I was unable to replicate your experience.

Therefore, I’d recommend trying to replicate with a brand new calendar, like I did, and see if the issue might be the specific calendar feed or might be your website that’s causing this.

If you can’t get updates to work with a new calendar feed, then I’d suggest following these recommended troubleshooting steps for your own site:

There might be some new updates available. Could you please make sure all your Modern Tribe plugins (and WordPress core) are at their latest versions?

Once you verify you’re on the latest versions, please test to see if the issue is still happening for you.

If it is, please follow our Testing for Conflicts Guide (basically switch to Twenty Seventeen theme and deactivate all plugins and custom code other than Modern Tribe plugins) and see if that helps narrow down the cause of this.

If it doesn’t, please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG (which will create a file on your server at /wp-content/debug.log if there are any WP_DEBUG messages) and share any debug messages you see while trying to replicate this issue and doing other things on your site relevant to this ticket (such as visiting your site’s home page, events page, single-event pages, and anything else you can think to do).

Then, please share your System Information (while in Testing for Conflicts Mode) in a Private Reply. That will give me a lot of extra information to help troubleshoot this.

You might also see if you can spot any console errors at your site. (If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

Jason
    Participant

Ok so I have several google calendars that import. I found that our Children’s program is not importing correctly, and everything is updated to its latest versions. So I deleted that Children’s calendar import, all of the events, and even the category. Then I put it all back in. It’s been well over 24 hours and the calendar still has not shown up on the site. When I import the events, it says that 275 have been updated and 0 new. Figured since it was all new re-install it should say 275 new, instead of 275 updated. Even still, no events actually show on the calendar.

Cliff

I think this might fall into a currently-logged bug about scheduled imports not working at this time (unfortunately, we don’t have a known reason why at this time).

Regarding the “updated” instead of “new”, that’s because there’s postmeta that gets saved with each imported event if it originally came from an EA import.

To confirm if this is the bug I suspect it may be: if you run a manual import (instead of scheduled import), do new events get added?

Also, were the previously-imported events that said they were updated actually updated? In other words, was there an event that had its data change?

Jason
    Participant

Running a manual import does not bring up new events. And no, previously imported events that said they were updated, were not actually updated.
    On an added side note, my other calendars that are scheduled to import daily, haven’t run an import for the past 5 days apparently. No idea why.

Cliff

Thanks for those details.

I’ll mark this ticket as Pending Fix, which means this thread should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now. They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.

I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Jason!

Just wanted to share with you that a new Feature Release 4.5.4 for The Events Calendar plugin is out, which includes a fix for this issue 🙂

You can find out more about the release here → https://theeventscalendar.com/release-community-events-4-5-the-events-calendar-4-5-4-pro-and-community-tickets/

Please update the plugin and let us know if the fix works for your site.

Best,
    Victor

Jason
    Participant

I installed the update and yet am still having issues. On some calendars the new events are being imported. But if any event is edited, that is not getting updated. I can send you a video of my screen to show you if you’d like.

Cliff

Sorry you’re still having an issue with this.

We’d really benefit from a screen capture video. Please do. Thank you!

Jason
    Participant

Can I get an email, so I can share these videos? I can’t even reduce them small enough to add to this thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Imports from Google Calendar not working’ is closed to new replies.