Support Forums

ICS Imports Duplicates Events

Hello,

When an update is made to our online calendar, we export that calendar as an .ics file. When uploading this .ics file using Event Aggregator, the events on the .ics file that were unchanged were re-uploaded and duplicated, that is to say, instead of only adding events which were changed or events which were not already on the calendar, it simply added every event in the .ics file leading to many duplicated events. I’ll attach the calendar in question in a follow up if you’d like to take a look.

This reply has been marked as private.

Hello πŸ™‚

Sorry to see you’ve run into troubles. Before I test the issue myself, can you send over your System Information as a private reply?

It might also be best you set up a fresh WordPress installation where you can fully troubleshoot the issue. Make sure you have only the default WordPress theme and The Events Calendar installed and activated on the test site. Please review ourΒ Using One License for Live and Dev SitesΒ for more information.

Please make sure WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG are enabled on your site’s wp-config.php file. Any errors will display at the top of your page as you try to reproduce the conflict. Note what you find and please include it in your reply.

Between your extensive testing and testing on my end, we’ll be able to identify the conflict quickly and take the necessary steps to resolving it. Thanks and take care!

Thank you for the update and sharing the System Information with me. What do you have the ‘Status‘ set to when importing via the Events > Import screen? See screenshot below for reference.

Hello,

I followed your instructions and imported the HunemeSharepoint.ics file, then the HunemeSP.ics file. I did not experience any duplicate events or any issues for that matter. I also tested using test calendars and .ics files and didn’t experience any issues, so at this time I’m confident saying there doesn’t appear to be a bug. Please see screenshots below confirming my reports.

Import #1 (HunemeSharepoint.ics):

Import runs successfully, importing a total of 401 events:

Import #2 (HunemeSP.ics):

Import runs successfully, importing a total of 1 event:

I created a new category titled ‘Puneet’ to help organize the events. As you can see, a total of 402 events were created and assigned to the category:

All my testing was done using the most recent version of The Events Calendar, so you might want to try updating to the same version and retesting to see if the events are still duplicating. It’s best you have the default WordPress theme active and all plugins other than The Events Calendar deactivated while going through the testing process.

I wish I could do more in this instance but without the ability to reproduce the behavior and seeing no logged bugs resemble your issue, my hands are tied. Please let me know if updating makes a difference and have a great weekend ahead πŸ™‚

Welcome back,

TEC should work fine on a multisite, so I’m not confident that is the issue you’re experiencing. Can you send a screenshot of your Events > Settings > Imports screen?

Hello,

The ICS file you linked to has over 300 events. Can you clarify why you are expecting this to import only 105 events? If you are using specific date or category filters on the import, what filters are those specifically? Reply back and I will try to replicate. Do you have another file and URL you can test this issue out on?

Thanks for your patience while we continue investigating. Cheers!

I’m definitely a little baffled here. I created a test calendar with 200 events and I’m not experiencing any discrepancy between importing the URL:

or uploading the ICS file:

As previously stated, I’m not convinced a bug is present here. The likely culprit most likely has something to do with the calendars you’re attempting to import events from. I’ve thoroughly tested and haven’t been able to reproduce the issues you’re having other than seeing the discrepancy in numbers between the URL and the ICS files you’ve shared with me.

Please let me know your final thoughts on the matter and have a great evening. Cheers πŸ™‚

As far as I know, I had my settings exact the same as you. When testing, I set up the import based on the information provided by you.

Do we need to turn off plugins on all of our sites in multisite or can we just deactivate them on the particular subsite?

This shouldn’t be the case since the plugins are on separate WordPress installations. We are unfortunately unable to log into customer sites, so please refrain from sending credentials over.

A maintenance released was just made available, so please update all of our plugins to the latest versions and retest the issue to see if it’s still occurring. Again, refer to the Testing for conflicts guide prior to testing. Ensure WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG are enabled on your site’s wp-config.php file. Any errors will display at the top of your page as you try to reproduce the conflict. I’d also right-click your mouse and open the ‘Inspect’ tool to see if any errors display in the console.

Let me know the results and have a good afternoon!

Thank you for the update. What I’m going to do is log a bug report for the developers to review on a more technical level. Please send over the two files including 50 and 51 events mentioned in your last response along with screenshots of your Events > Imports > New Import (filled in as if you were setting up an import) and Events > Settings > Imports screens so we can mimic the exact steps you’ve been doing to reproduce the issue.

I’m not sure if nor what they’ll find, but hopefully it will provide more information and a workaround if necessary. Thanks for your patience and let me know if you’ve got any questions for me.

Have a great evening πŸ™‚

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

The topic ‘ICS Imports Duplicates Events’ is closed to new replies.