iCal Import overwriting categories chosen after import

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator iCal Import overwriting categories chosen after import

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christine Hehre
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve searched the forums for an answer to this, and this is the closest I could find but it doesn’t address my issue exactly: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/imported-categories-are-overriding-the-chosen-category/. So I’m opening a new thread.

I have a Events Calendar installed on a school website, and set to check for and import new events on a daily basis using the iCal importer.

I have the iCal default category for import set to to category, as the events that come in have to be manually categorized once they are imported. For example, some are “Meetings” and some are “Academic Calendar” etc.

Once imported, the site admin changes the categories manually and they save until the next auto import. Once he next import occurs, it overwrites all the manual categorization.

I’m hoping this is an error in configuration on my part, but ideally the new events added to the Google calendar would come in without a category, and any existing events already in the calendar (previously imported) would not be changed. I’m guessing its reimporting everything, but I do not see a way around this.

Any help appreciated! Screenshot of my import set up attached.

Hunter

Hello, Christine 🙂

As of right now, the plugin does not overwrite default categories that exist on the events already in the iCal File. So both/all categories will be applied; none auto-deleted. Does the behavior still occur after reviewing our Testing for conflicts guide?

Let me know and we’ll continue investigating. Have a great weekend. Cheers!

Christine Hehre
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t think i was clear about the issue…

– On the first import into the system, none of the events had categories (by design).
    – After import, in Event Admin, I changed the categories on each event so they were correct (i.e. set Board Meetings to “Meeting” category, school events to “Academic Calendar” etc.
    – Set iCal import to auto import daily; set to import new events as “Select Category” since events have to be manually categorized (they import to different categories)
    – Auto import removes (overwrites?) the categories on the existing events (i.e. I had a Board Meeting set to “Meeting” but when the iCal auto-import runs, it removes (overwrites?) the category

I have the import set to “Overwrite Existing” is this the issue? I checked this because I DO want anything in the website calendar to be updated if updated in the Gooogle Calendar (which I’m assuming is the “source” calendar), but I DO NOT want the categories to be updated on the website.

Hope that clarifies the issue.

Thanks!

Hunter

Hi Christine,

Thank you for the clarification. Before I test the issue myself, can you please review our Testing for conflicts guide to see if you can replicate the behavior and reply back with your findings?

Thanks again and have a great Monday.
    Cheers!

Christine Hehre
    Participant

This reply is private.

Hunter

Hey Christine,

Sorry to hear about the continued frustration. Let me know how the testing on the dev environment works out and we’ll continue investigating from there. Thanks for understanding and have a wonderful evening. Cheers!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘iCal Import overwriting categories chosen after import’ is closed to new replies.