Have you submitted application required for Facebook Developers to use the API?

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Have you submitted application required for Facebook Developers to use the API?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hazel
    Participant

A fellow customer posted this in this forum and it was so well said I am re-posting because I have not seen you acknowledge or address this yet. Your last update was on 4/11 regarding this devastating situation with the FB imports.

MY QUESTION IS: Has Modern Tribe submitted the required application to use the FB API they are now requiring YET?

an article in the Facebook Developers site which seems to infer the following:

– The new rules are to provide a more robust vetting process for apps that use Facebook and better protection of user data for Facebookers generally
    – In the interim period FB will conduct a review of all existing event apps (such as Event Aggregator) – no new apps will be reviewed for the foreseeable future
    – All existing apps have been cut off until they make it through the review. The review process will kick off in a few weeks.
    – Comments on events, feeds, posts and especially RSVP lists have been depreciated (no surprises there)

Looking at the Facebook Login API planned changes we should probably be expecting to refresh our credentials (token) more in the future, otherwise the events will stop syncing…

Ok – so my questions to the Modern Tribe Support Team are….

Q1: Are you on the list of apps that Facebook is reviewing to eventually restore functionality?
    Q2: Have you submitted for review already?

Courtney

Hi there Hazel

After checking in with our lead developers on this, I can safely say that

#1 Facebook has made no provisions to really review our requests or even a warning that they would be making sudden sweeping changes
    #2 We submitted for review of our application and were accepted about 18mo ago. No new review process has been issued.

We are currently figuring things out as they continue to evolve with the Facebook Privacy Policy. For now, the best places to check in on the status of our plugin’s access to Facebook are https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/ea-fb-privacy-policy/ and https://theeventscalendar.com/event-aggregator-status/.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Nick Evans
    Participant

Hi, i just read a status you linked Courtney, copied below.

Update April 17, 2018: There needs to be a relationship between the account used to import the events and the events themselves (ie, the events must have been created using the same account).

my relationship to the events i import to a webiste – i am a page admin for a FB buiness page and i am importing the page events into the business website. i dont create the page events, another admin does so we all share the work promoting events to the members. is that relationship enough?

Thanks
    Nick

Courtney

Hey Nick

You’ll need to test this out, but for now it seems that you will need to be the one creating the events.

This is still accurate: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/ea-fb-privacy-policy/

So you can import events that you created on Facebook, if you connect Facebook and EA using that same account. In most other cases, imports won’t work.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

jskk123
    Participant

In an ideal world, if we could import events created by pages that we were an admin on (or editor or some other role), that would sure work for me…

Courtney

Agreed Nick, but Facebook has been changing what they will permit developers to access. We would prefer for things to work a bit better than they have.

We will keep that page updated. If you get news of Facebook making more changes, or see that our status has changed, please do consider trying again.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

jskk123
    Participant

You haven’t updated your event aggregator status page yet but I did find this elsewhere. Fingers crossed it’s right.

UPDATE (April 24th, 2018): Facebook Events: We are waiting till Facebook starts allowing APPS to be reviewed. Once that happens the events feed will be available again. We are hoping this will happen in the next 30 days or less. We’ll keep you posted.

Facebook API Changes on April 4th, 2018

jskk123
    Participant

theeventscalendar: have you contacted FB via this page? I say your plugin qualifies for “urgent need of resolution”, at least for me.

This is at the bottom of the article posted on 4/24/18.
    If your business or service was impacted by these changes and you have an urgent issue in need of resolution, please fill out this form and someone from our team will get in touch with you.”

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2018/04/24/new-facebook-platform-product-changes-policy-updates/

downtownls
    Participant

I am admin on both our Facebook and the plugin. Events I created via my linked Facebook account do not import to our website via Event Aggregator. Please stop offering that as a solution.

Courtney

Hey All

We have reached out to Facebook but have nothing new to share.

Facebook recently announced a range of changes (https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/04/restricting-data-access/) to their APIs (the protocols we use to ‘speak’ to their servers and retrieve event information) which are having an effect on a number of our users.

As part of this a number of new restrictions were applied to their Events API, which is the specific protocol Event Aggregator uses in order to import events, organizers and venues. These changes went live with little notice to providers such as ourselves. At this point, it does not seem possible to reliably import any events, even if you created and ‘own’ events on Facebook and have linked Event Aggregator to Facebook using those same credentials.

This is frustrating for you, and for developers like us.  As Facebook continues to alter what it allows us to access, we will continue to pursue a path forward for Event Aggregator to import Facebook events.

If you interested in a refund, you can fill out the refund form https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/refund-policy/.

We really would like to work with you on this.  Would you be interested in a license for the remaining time for one of our other plugins instead of a refund?

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Have you submitted application required for Facebook Developers to use the API?’ is closed to new replies.