Fatal Error when trying to customize

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Fatal Error when trying to customize

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

I installed the PRO version of the plug-in and when I click “customize” I get this error. Please help, very frustrating.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 83 bytes) in /home/ggfn456/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1780.

I have done a lot of work on the site and I need assurance that turning off all plugin-ins and changing theme won’t irreversibly mess up my site. Very nervous

Geoff B.

Good evening Sarah and welcome to the Events Calendar forum!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We are sorry to hear about the fatal error you are getting while clicking on “Customize”.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

The short answer to your question is that we always recommend making a Database backup of your website before attempting anything.
    That way, if anything does not work to your liking you can easily revert back to your site as it was.

That being said, normally, changing themes and deactivating plugins do not cause any destructive change to your website. In other words, nothing that reactivating the plugin or theme won’t fix.

A lot of our users prefer setting up a clone of their website (testing, staging or even local) to perform such tests.
    Others simply temporarily activate a “Maintenance page” plugin as they are performing such tests (after a database backup of course).

As a first troubleshooting step, could you please provide us with your complete system information in a private reply using the instructions found in the following link?

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

Could you please send me a copy of your WordPress theme / child theme in a .zip file link (via Dropbox or Google Drive) so that I can run some tests on my end ?

Best regards and hang tight as we try to figure this one out,

Geoff B.

Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening Sarah,

Thank you for writing back.

That is a great question. Personally, I would recommend looking into it.
    In most cases these things can be fixed.

You are right, perhaps you could simply ignore this and it’s possible that you would never have an issue.
    But this could also be hiding some kind of glitch or incompatibility.

At this point, I just can’t tell.

If you are up for it, I’d like to assist you in troubleshooting the cause of this.

To get started, I would require the information previously requested.

Let me know what you decide,
    Geoff B.

Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening Sarah,

Thank you for the system information.
    As for the theme, you are right, uploading it on this site is most likely not going to be possible.

I would recommend a link to that zip file on a cloud-based platform such as Dropbox, Cloudup or Google Drive.

The only thing I see that’s a bit out of the ordinary is that you are getting the following message on your site: You have included the Google Maps API multiple times on this page. This may cause unexpected errors.

So things seem to point to some kind of conflict (perhaps theme related).

The next step would be to go through our testing for conflicts procedure (preferably in a staging/dev environment or local install of your WordPress website) and let us know what you find out.

Basically the goal here is to revert back to a bare WordPress installation to see if the problem persists. It also allows us to pinpoint what the cause of the issue is.

But, before you do that, there are 2 things I would advise:

1. Make a backup of your database
    2. Consider activating a “Maintenance Page” plugin if you are doing this on your live site (to minimize impact on your visitors)

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening. Sarah,

Thank you for writing back and for your fantastic words.
    It’s truly appreciated.

Secondly, kudos on finding a conflict between the customizer and Visual Composer. It’s mostly due to our great customers feedback that we are able to provide support.

We will look more into that specific matter for sure and let you know when a fix is out.

In the meantime, your workaround should totally work, although I realize it’s far from ideal.

As for your second request, I would like to offer you to learn “how to fish”. Please read the following: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/using-google-chrome-developer-tools/

Basically, you can inspect any element with the Google inspector and find exactly what CSS rule to change. You can even try your changes on the fly!

Let me know if that helps ?

Have a good weekend!

Geoff B.

Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening Sarah,

You were actually very close.

I suggest the following code instead

.tribe-events-calendar th {
    background-color:#45453A;
    color:#FFFFFF;
    }

Of course, you can adjust the colours to your liking.

Let me know how that goes.

Geoff B.

Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Sarah Sullivan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘Fatal Error when trying to customize’ is closed to new replies.