Event Calendar Pro breaks widgets back end

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Event Calendar Pro breaks widgets back end

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Barry

Can you switch to a default, unmodified theme while we troubleshoot? The problem is that your theme is generating a large number of errors and, with WP_DEBUG mode on, that is stopping other things from happening and the upshot is I cannot log in.

Alternatively, please create a test installation (perhaps in a subdirectory) and install only our plugins and see if you can replicate this issue there.

Thanks!

els76uk
    Participant

Sorry – yes, that’s done now, we’re back on Twenty Twelve.

els76uk
    Participant

Hi Barry – as an alternative, if we can’t get this fixed, could you take me through the process of exporting the calendar data and I’ll upload it to a fresh WP install.

Barry

I just logged in and the widgets admin page seems fine – did you find a way to resolve this?

els76uk
    Participant

no, it’s still broken. i deactivated events calendar pro so that i could get on with the site. please could you take another look 🙂

Barry

Thanks – and sorry for the mixup.

Unfortunately I’m not seeing anything that might help (sometimes there is a useful error message in this sort of situation that isn’t visible unless you inspect the source – that doesn’t seem to be the case this time round).

There are no server-side errors currently being output by your WordPress install since the mod_security restriction against which it was previously failing was removed for you.

If this is still true I’m not sure what else we can offer here, except that it could be worth trying my previous suggestion:

Alternatively, please create a test installation (perhaps in a subdirectory) and install only our plugins and see if you can replicate this issue there.

If you try this and still hit difficulties I can only imagine there is some sort of incompatibility with the hosting environment itself (perhaps there isn’t enough memory available?) – however I don’t want to jump to conclusions too early, it’s possible you might set this up and find it works.

Can you give it a try?

els76uk
    Participant

I have it running fine on my other site, http://www.discodamaged.net . This is using the exact same server (london is a subdomain of the main site), so setting up another install won’t help us. My suspicion is the database is corrupted somehow (by the mass publish/unpublish) or the plugin itself is somehow corrupted, and deleting and reinstalling from scratch might help.

So could you take me through the process of exporting the calendar data and uploading it to a fresh WP install, see if that works?

Barry

That’s definitely a possibility. What I’d recommend is using the export and import tools made available by WordPress (you can specify which post types – such as events/venues/organizers – you wish to export) and see if that gets you toward a solution in this instance.

Good luck – I hope it goes well 🙂

els76uk
    Participant

Pretty sure my events got corrupted somehow, as they won’t import correctly – there are hundreds of duplicated events, and some finish before they start. I’ve sent you a link in a private message, so that you can take a look yourself. There were around 3,000 events, but that turned into 170,000 or so when imported. I also started getting a lot of bugs from the debug menu when imported, with pages not loading correctly.

els76uk
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

That’s a lot of data!

Certainly it looks like most of the duplicates in the XML are legitimate: recurring event instances for example may look like duplicate posts (and in a sense, they are, since they are initially created almost as carbon copies of the original event) but one telltale is that they have a post_parent property set to a non-zero value – ie, the ID of the original event.

I’m not honestly sure why you’re facing this problem – however I definitely can see the same thing if I try to import it locally and suspect some legacy code is at work here (rather than individual posts being created per event, it seems like recurring event instance post meta data is being created as would have been the case pre-3.5).

We’re going to have to look into this as this is potentially a bug that is triggered when importing recurring events.

How many base events do you have (not counting recurring instances)? The export data suggests not too many (albeit there are many instances) but it’s hard to know if that might be the result of a different or related problem … what I’m wondering, though, is that if you are going to be unable to import/export via WordPress’s own tools perhaps the fastest path to recovery is going to be to manually recreate the events?

els76uk
    Participant

Thanks, I’m doing that. I’ve now got a fresh wordpress install on a fresh server, london2.discodamaged.net, with fresh plugins, and using Events Cal 3.5, and it’s working fine.

HOWEVER – I tried updating my older server http://www.discodamaged.net to v3.5, and again it broke the widgets back end, as described in my first post! I restored from backup, but I fear I’ll never be able to update my Events Calendar again, as every time I do, it breaks.

els76uk
    Participant

It’s also doing strange things with updating individual events that are part of a series: when I update it, either nothing happens; or it deletes all the other events but not the one I actually want to delete.

els76uk
    Participant

It seems that when I edit just one occurrence of a recurring event, it edits all of them, even when I click the ‘just one’ button.

Barry

Hmm, that’s not good. Are you in a position to revert to a backup? One of the team came up with this snippet which should resolve the problems that occur during import – so rolling back then running the import again with that in place could provide a working solution to this.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Calendar Pro breaks widgets back end’ is closed to new replies.