Event Calendar Pro breaks widgets back end

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Event Calendar Pro breaks widgets back end

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    els76uk
    Participant

Hi – I noticed that I couldn’t see or change any of my widgets in the back end – the box on the right into which I drag the widgets simply isn’t there. I narrowed it down to The Events Calendar Pro as breaking it – when Pro is deactivated, the widgets appear as normal. This is the same both in my theme (Hot Topix) and Twenty Fourteen.

The widgets work, it’s just that I need to deactivate Events Calendar Pro to adjust them, then reactivate it again afterwards.

Barry

That’s strange, I can’t replicate the same thing with Events Calendar PRO/Twenty Fourteen. Perhaps something else is impacting? Though I appreciate you indicated that you have already tried a number of these steps, just to be sure can I ask you to confirm:

• You have updated to our latest releases
    • With only The Events Calendar, Events Calendar PRO, a default theme like Twenty Fourteen and nothing else activated you still see this problem?

Thanks!

els76uk
    Participant

Thanks Barry, and yes, you’re quite right, that it is the latest release which breaks the back end. I have two sites – I updated one recently, and it broke; the other is still on 3.4, and works fine. It’s only by deactivating Events Cal Pro that I can adjust my widgets; if all I have is Twenty Fourteen, Events Cal and Events Cal Pro, it’s broken.

I’d be happy to give you a personal login so you can take a look, as it’s definitely Events Cal Pro which is breaking the site.

Barry

Sure – if you can either “strip down” the site again (so just our latest plugins and a default theme are running) or else provide permission for us to do that we’ll happily take a look: you can share credentials here via a private reply.

Please ensure you have backed up – and know how to restore any backups – before providing access and do also note that some amount of disruption make take place while we troubleshoot. Similarly, please realize that we cannot guarantee being able to restore the site to its original condition.

Thanks!

els76uk
    Participant

This reply is private.

els76uk
    Participant

Thanks Barry, much appreciated. I shared a password with you in a private message and am happy for you to tinker with it. The site’s not live right now (it’s on a test server), so feel free to do whatever needs to be done.

Barry

Very odd: there seems to be a link with the Countdown widget, I’m not sure at this point what’s actually causing this though. Can I ask you to:

Then if it’s ok I’ll log back in and take another look – thanks!

Barry

Hi! Just checking in here. How are you getting on with this – have you had a chance to set up any of the above?

els76uk
    Participant

sorry – only just saw you’d replied. that’s done now and is ready for you. However, since changing wp_debug to true, I get some weird errors when browsing around in the back end :/

els76uk
    Participant

thanks again for your help – i guess the errors are what you’re looking for 🙂

els76uk
    Participant

This reply is private.

els76uk
    Participant

I just heard that another user published then unpublished a large number of events. this might have broken something?

Barry

I’m not sure why that (publishing/unpublishing) would cause an issue, but yes I do see those errors will prevent me from logging in. Tricky.

We might need a different strategy – are you able to access your server error logs, as an alternative?

els76uk
    Participant

Hi, so I requested the server logs. Initially, they said –

Having checked this the issue you are seeing with your plugin is that certain actions it was taking were inadvertently triggering a mod_security rule in place on our systems intended to help protect your account from certain types of command injection attacks against vulnerable scripting. I have as such whitelisted your account from the rule in question, and you should now be able to use your plugin correctly.

However, this change did not fix the error. When I said that to them, they replied –

There are no server-side errors currently being output by your WordPress install since the mod_security restriction against which it was previously failing was removed for you. This would therefore suggest if you are still seeing issues a script error within WordPress itself which is currently being suppressed by WordPress (as you currently have WordPress debugging mode disabled), I would therefore suggest enabling this (which should generally always be the first step in diagnosing any issues with WordPress as this will ensure any errors it generates are returned to you directly) so that you can see any errors being returned by WordPress itself.

I have therefore switched debug mode back on so that you can take another look. I see that with debug mode on, I get a fatal error when activating Events Calendar. Further, I can have EITHER events cal, or events cal pro activated without causing trouble. It’s only when both are running that the widgets are broken.

Please could you take another look and see if you can figure it out?

els76uk
    Participant

The only recent logged server side errors since the time of my last reply are as follows, which would appear to be a theme error:

[02-Apr-2014 08:41:21 UTC] PHP Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/discodam/public_html/wp-content/themes/hottopix/functions.php on line 924
    [02-Apr-2014 08:42:54 UTC] PHP Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/discodam/public_html/wp-content/themes/hottopix/functions.php on line 924
    [02-Apr-2014 08:57:51 UTC] PHP Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/discodam/public_html/wp-content/themes/hottopix/functions.php on line 924

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Calendar Pro breaks widgets back end’ is closed to new replies.