Do I need the Events Calendar to list my Events?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Do I need the Events Calendar to list my Events?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brittany

I’m just trying to figure out what products I need.

1) I definitely need the Event Tickets Plus. But then I just need to be able to list the Events on an Events page with image, date/time, excerpt, and button link to single event page to purchase. Do I NEED the Event Calendar to do that? Or can I just list them myself? Like will there automatically be an ‘/events’ page that I can add custom html/css to and query in order to use pagination?

2) Do I need Event Tickets Plus AND Event Tickets, or just Event Tickets Plus

3) I am using recurring events. I know that comes with Event Tickets Plus. If I end up needing Event Calendar, would I need Pro for that feature?

4) I can make custom fields for the buyer to fill out on the purchasing form, right? If so, where would that data appear in the CMS?

5) Can I alter the html/css for the single event page?

Geoff B.

Good evening Brittany and welcome to the Events Calendar forum!

Thank you for your interest in our products.
    We’ll be glad to answer your questions.

1) I definitely need the Event Tickets Plus. But then I just need to be able to list the Events on an Events page with image, date/time, excerpt, and button link to single event page to purchase. Do I NEED the Event Calendar to do that? Or can I just list them myself? Like will there automatically be an ‘/events’ page that I can add custom html/css to and query in order to use pagination?

The simple answer is that we offer a modular approach. That way you can use our products to your exact specifications. Let’s break it down.

I just need to be able to list the Events on an Events page with image, date/time, excerpt, and button link to single event page to purchase. Do I NEED the Event Calendar to do that?

That looks exactly like what the Events Calendar’s list view offers you.
    You can even tweak it to your exact liking using CSS or by customizing the view files.

You might want to read our Themer’s guide to get a sense of how that works.

But, no, you do not need the calendar to sell tickets. You can assign tickets to any post or page type you want. With or without the Events Calendar.

will there automatically be an ‘/events’ page that I can add custom html/css to and query in order to use pagination?

Our the Events Calendar does not create a “real” page.
    But it does need exclusivity over the ‘/events’ URL (or another one of your choosing).

You will still be able to add custom CSS or HTML to the “pages” of our plugin.

In order to gain full power on your site’s look and feel, I would highly recommend reading the following articles:

You will also want to go through the following: http://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/new-user-primer-the-events-calendar-and-events-calendar-pro/

2) Do I need Event Tickets Plus AND Event Tickets, or just Event Tickets Plus

You need both plugins if you want to use Event Tickets Plus.
    That is because Event Tickets Plus extends Event Tickets. It does not replace it.

3) I am using recurring events. I know that comes with Event Tickets Plus. If I end up needing Event Calendar, would I need Pro for that feature?

That is actually not fully accurate. I am glad you asked that question:

1. Events and tickets are really 2 separate objects. For this reason, Event Tickets Plus does not offer recurring events.

The Events Calendar Pro on the other hand, does offer the recurring event feature: https://theeventscalendar.com/product/wordpress-events-calendar-pro/

2. At the time of writing, we offer only limited support for the integration of Event Tickets Plus with recurring events.

We are working on adding that feature. But for now, the only available option is to use 1 pool of tickets for ALL the events in the series.

In other words, each event does not have it’s own set of tickets for now.
      For some of our customers, that is perfect. I am not sure wether or not that would be sufficient for you ?

4) I can make custom fields for the buyer to fill out on the purchasing form, right? If so, where would that data appear in the CMS?

Absolutely. Event Tickets Plus lets you capture attendee data.
    I recommend reading the following to see how that works:

1. https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/collecting-attendee-information/
    2. https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/managing-your-orders-and-attendees/

5) Can I alter the html/css for the single event page?

Yes, as mentioned previously, you can customize just about any view to your liking using our themer’s guide.

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Brittany

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply. I will check out all of those resources. In the meantime, I do have one follow-up question:

It looks like by your definition I’m not actually needing recurring events. I have events that need one ticket that might occur every Saturday for 3 weeks. So is there a way to specify that with the Event List view? Showing the user the 3 dates it falls on, but it’s only one ticket?

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Brittany,

I am glad you liked the reply 🙂
    I will let you go through the details of it.

It looks like by your definition I’m not actually needing recurring events. I have events that need one ticket that might occur every Saturday for 3 weeks. So is there a way to specify that with the Event List view? Showing the user the 3 dates it falls on, but it’s only one ticket?

In that case, you actually need recurring events.
    It looks like our current limitation is just perfect for your situation.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Do I need the Events Calendar to list my Events?’ is closed to new replies.