Distance filters for Event calendar Pro

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Distance filters for Event calendar Pro

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris

Hi,
    I am just costing up a website for a client.
    I am likely going to use your plugin for their events.
    However – I have been requested to add a distance filter to the calendar.
    I.e. a user will need to enter their postcode and it will filter events based on close proximity (say 3 miles etc.) to their location.
    Is this possible?
    I noticed in your info you mention this: “there is also a distance filter to go along with PRO’s location search”
    Will this do what I need?
    Many thanks,
    Chris

Geoff

Hi Chris,

Thanks for checking out the plugins! I hope they’re a great fit for your project. πŸ™‚

If you’re looking for a distance filter, then I’d recommend our Filter Bar add-on in addition to Events Calendar PRO. It includes a filter that allows visitors to search events within a general radius of where and event’s venue is located. There’s much more on that as well as the other filters available right here in this article.

I also recorded a little screencast to illustrate how the distance filter works once a visitor has performed a location search.

Does this help answer your question? Please let me know.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Chris

Thanks for that – v.useful.
    Can I just confirm it will work for UK addresses?
    And also can I alter the distance mileage (5 miles is currently the lowest)?
    We will need events within walking distance so say 1-3 miles?
    Many thanks,
    Chris

Geoff

Hey Chris,

Absolutely! Yes, UK addresses will work just fine.

As far as changing increments, I do not believe that is a possibility without custom development. So, 5 miles is the smallest increment right out of the box.

Geoff

Chris

Would you be able to send me a quote to the email address you have for custom work to enable 1,2,3,5,10 mile increments please?
    Many thanks.

Geoff

Hi Chris,

That’s a great question — we actually prefer to refer folks to other freelancers who are available to help out with customizations. We have a list of people we happily recommend here:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/find-a-customizer/

Cheers!
    Geoff

Chris

Hi,
    Quick question – would it be tricky for me to edit the plugin changing the proximity filter to use smaller increments? Is it an easy setting in the code to edit or would it involve a lot of development?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Geoff

Hey Chris — hope you had a great weekend!

To be honest, I’m not totally sure what sort of lift it would take. I did a little digging and found that at least some of the code for the distance filter is contained in Events Calendar PRO in the /src/functions/template-tags/general.php file, but for converting the distance units and outputting that numerical value.

That said, I think it would be a slightly heavy development lift to locate the exact function. The change itself might not be as difficult as the locating.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Geoff

Hey Chris,

I see one of my previous replies was marked as the correct answer. I’ll go ahead and close this thread but please feel free to let us know if any other questions pop up and we’d be happy to help. πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Distance filters for Event calendar Pro’ is closed to new replies.