Displaying my events in a emailer via RSS or other

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Displaying my events in a emailer via RSS or other

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Yoni
    Participant

Hi

I am putting together an email newsletter which generates content from my sites RSS feeds. It is using The Event Calendar RSS feed to create a list of events. I wanted the event dates to be displayed but I see that the RSS feed does not have a field for event dates.
    I found the support article explaining how to add event dates to the RSS feed (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/customize-rss-feed/). Would this be recommended as the best way to automatically display events with dates in my mailer, or is there perhaps some other way I should consider?

thanks

Yoni

Yoni
    Participant

Hi

Just a follow up to this same question. If you suggest that customizing the RSS feed is the best course of action to display events in my newsletter, please then also advise if its possible to output only the event start date in the feed (without end date and without start or end times)?

If so perhaps you can give me a bit of a guidance on this?

thanks

Yoni

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Yoni,

Thanks for reaching out with your question!

As for the customization, if you only want to include the start date, then you will need to adjust that second snippet from the article. In the middle of that you see an if … else statement. You will need to remove that because you only need the start date and you need that in all cases. So delete the lines 17-23 and 25-26. Only this line should remain there:

<ev:startdate><?php echo tribe_get_start_date(); ?></ev:startdate>

As for including it in your email newsletter, that depends on what tools you are using. There might be some newsletter plugins which can tap into your custom post types (like events) and pull the data from there. In other cases you would most probably need to manually enter the events, or use RSS if that is possible.

Hope this helps! Let me know if there’s anything else.

Cheers,
    Andras

Yoni
    Participant

Hi Andras,

I have added the codes to functions.php, but I receive an error in the feed like ‘No RSS feed found’

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Yoni,

Sorry to hear that.

Are you maybe using a security plugin where a setting could disable rss feeds?

Did you also add the first snippet to the functions.php file? That is also needed to include the events in the feed.

In order to be able to help you further I will need to ask you to share your system information with me based on this guide: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Yoni
    Participant

Hi Andras,

The RSS feed works now, but it still comes up with the description. I just want the title and start date to be visible .Please see the link below to preview the Feeds. I can confirm that there is no security plugin and the first snippet been added to the functions.php

http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f9e1def4585df864e1be57f66&id=31036b2870&e=%5BUNIQID%5D

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello Yoni,

I’m happy to hear that the feed works now.

I’m sorry, until now there was no mention about the description, this is new information for me.

Unfortunately we don’t have a solution ready for excluding the description. This would require customization work, which we are limited in supporting based on our support policy. I will ask around the team if anyone has a solution for this, but I cannot guarantee anything within any timeframe.

You can check this article, which might help you in further customizing your RSS feed.

In case you need professional help with the customization, then you can get in touch with these fine developers who should be able to help you out:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/find-a-customizer/

I’m sorry if this is disappointing news and I hope this can get you started on this.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Cheers,
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Displaying my events in a emailer via RSS or other’ is closed to new replies.