Description Field not working and Categories not showing

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Description Field not working and Categories not showing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kara Jensen
    Participant

Looked through last couple of months and didn’t see this. All of a sudden the Community Events page to add an event is not listing any of my categories. and you cannot type in the Description box. I just appeared on a radio show to promote the calendar and now no one can submit events! Please help!

http://beoutdoorsarizona.org/events/community/add

Cliff

Hi, Kara. Sorry you’re experiencing this.

I noticed a console error at http://beoutdoorsarizona.org/events/community/add: https://cl.ly/3W3l3T251N3G

(If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

Also, I was able to enter text in the Description field, but I did see your Categories section is there without any categories to choose, which is odd. I found your Categories are there to choose from, except they’re hidden by .tribe-hidehttps://cl.ly/1q1c2Y3t0v13

Since this isn’t the default behavior, I’d suggest following our recommended troubleshooting steps:

Could you please make sure all your Modern Tribe plugins (and WordPress core) are at their latest versions?

Once you verify you’re on the latest versions, please test to see if the issue is still happening for you.

If it is, please follow our Testing for Conflicts Guide (basically switch to TwentySixteen theme and deactivate all plugins and custom code other than Modern Tribe plugins) and see if that helps narrow down the cause of this.

If it doesn’t, please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG and share any PHP errors you see while changing tickets quantity, navigating your site’s home page, events page, single-event pages, and any other of your site’s pages relevant to this ticket.

Then, please share your System Information (while in Testing for Conflicts mode).

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

Kara Jensen
    Participant

I followed your instructions. Turns out one of the recent updates now makes my theme incompatible. I looked through your showcase of sites and researched what WP theme they were using but they all came back as having a detected WP theme but that it was custom or proprietary. Do you have a list of modern themes that work well with your products so I don’t have to install/uninstall themes all day?

I would like a theme that allows a video background banner. Like Avada.

Kara Jensen
    Participant

How can I unhide the categories?

Cliff

Avada is compatible. However, they essentially include a copy of our core plugin in their theme and therefore there’s a bit of a delay in their updating it whenever we release an update.

I’m not sure what about Avada might currently be throwing errors for you, but we can test if you want to confirm the issue. Just tell me how to reproduce it (what links to go to or whatever).

Or, better yet, report the issue to Avada because the theme is the one responsible for integrating with our plugin if they say they’re supporting our plugin.

ThemeForest has a list of themes that say they’re compatible with our plugin. We don’t keep a list of our own.

I hope this information helps. I’d definitely point you to Avada’s support if this is the only thing holding you back moving forward with their theme.

Kara Jensen
    Participant

It seems to work fine (Avada) but the categories are still not showing. Per your previous email:

Also, I was able to enter text in the Description field, but I did see your Categories section is there without any categories to choose, which is odd. I found your Categories are there to choose from, except they’re hidden by .tribe-hide: https://cl.ly/1q1c2Y3t0v13

How to I unhide the categories? Not sure how they became marked to be hidden.

Thank you!

Cliff

I see your site is currently using BeOutdoors10 theme, which says it is an Artisteer-generated theme, which is not Avada theme.

Are you saying you tried Avada — and that both BeOutdoors10 theme and Avada theme both hid your Event Categories — or only BeOutdoors10 theme?

Kara Jensen
    Participant

Both themes do not show the Categories. I switched it back to the Artisteer theme for now until the hidden categories issue is resolved.

Cliff

Gotcha, thanks for confirming.

In this case, I’m guessing you don’t have custom code in both themes’ folders that would have added .tribe-hide, but here are some places to try to find any mentions of “tribe-hide”:

• your functions.php file (parent and child theme functions.php files)
    • /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/src/views/community/modules/taxonomy.php
    • [your-theme]/tribe-events/community/modules/taxonomy.php (parent and child themes)

If you don’t find “tribe-hide” in any of those files (potentially 5 file locations), please try this:

1. Add define( ‘SCRIPT_DEBUG’, true ); to your wp-config.php file
    2. clear and disable any site and browser cache
    3. see if the issue is still happening
    4. if it is (it should be):

Temporarily comment out or delete this line:

$children.filter( this.filter_out_selected_categories ).addClass( 'tribe-hide' );

which is Line 56 of /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/src/resources/js/tribe-events-community.js

then clear any browser caching and see if the issue is still happening.

Let me know how things go for you.

Kara Jensen
    Participant

Cliff,

The above did not work and I couldn’t find any other mentions of Tribe-hide…

Any other ideas or can I have you log in?? This is really stretching my knowledge and skill base!! lol

Kara

Cliff

Kara, sorry that didn’t work. We make it a point not to login to customers’ sites.

Does the issue still happen if you switch to Twenty Sixteen theme and deactivate all non-Modern Tribe plugins?

Kara Jensen
    Participant

The categories do show up when I switch to twentysixteen and deactivate all but the Modern Tribe plug ins.

Kara Jensen
    Participant

However when I switch back to my theme with all the plugins still deactivated (besides Modern Tribe) the categories still do not show.

Cliff

Thank you for doing that testing.

Since it is a conflict with your theme, you should contact your theme author for support, asking why this is happening.

We can only provide support for WordPress default themes like TwentyFourteen, TwentyFifteen, TwentySixteen, etc.

If you do find out what the issue is from your theme author, please let us know.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Description Field not working and Categories not showing’ is closed to new replies.