CSV Import and multiple calendars

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions CSV Import and multiple calendars

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cindy

Hello,
    I am unable to find instructions for importing a csv file into the calendar. Can you point me in the right direction?

I have five categories of events and I don’t want them to all show up on the same calendar. I understand I can’t create multiple calendars (is this still true?) but is there a way to filter by a parent category, so that only categories within that parent show up on that calendar. I would then have five calendars each filtered to the one of five parent categories. Can this work with this plugin?

What is return policy if I try it and it doesn’t work for me?

Thank you!

Jami
    Blocked

Hey Cindy!

Thanks for checking out the Events Calendar! You’ve got some great questions and I’m happy to help.

First, check out this video put together by Rob on how to use the CVS importer. Hopefully that will cover all of your questions about how that works but if not, feel free to let me know if there’s anything I can clarify about it.

You won’t be able to create multiple calendars but you can link directly to each calendar category. For example, if your categories are “Sports” and “Education” then you can link to these category pages (in your navigation or wherever) and your users would see those specific category events:

http://www.yourwebsite.com/events/category/sports/
    http://www.yourwebsite.com/events/category/education/

As for returns, we offer full refunds within 30 days of purchase.

Thanks again for considering our plugin! Please feel free to get back in touch if you have any other questions. 🙂

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Cindy

Hi Jami,

Thanks so much for your reply back. I appreciated the video – it was helpful. However I’m a novice so I have a few more questions. Big picture of what I’m doing: My website will be one that curates a bunch of events, so basically one stop searching for events.

1. Are the Categories that import over, the fields to the left that folks can click on? Events will have several categories / fields. I.E. Event type > Live/online/cruise/retreat, etc.. and then there will be a number of fields for them to pick in regards to topic. I.E. New Age > crystals/aura/ energy healing. And sometimes an event will cover multiple topics like energy healing with crystals that is being held live but also live streaming. And of course I will be using categories for the 5 types of calendars, so I need to tell the plugin if the event is Spiritual, Personal development, etc… Sometimes they can be both so I need to be able to pick multiple categories for that also.
    2. With my current calendar I’m not putting in venue. I’m trying to enter basic info and have a link for the end user to find more detailed info. I am putting in a location and there are many of those. If I’m not listing the address, city, etc of the venue and only putting in City and State, can that get imported in when I import the events? I did see a “location” option.
    3. Can I have an area that imports in for the event website that the end user can click on?
    4. Is there a limit to the number of characters in the description field? Sometimes it is only a few short paragraphs, but other times the description can be more extensive.
    5. Is there a limit to the Title field. I have been entering in the event name and then the names of the speaker/s. Sometimes if it is a conference there could be 15 presenters.

Ok… I think that is all of my questions. 🙂

Thanks again!

Cindy

Jami
    Blocked

Hi Cindy,

I’m happy to help with your extra questions. 🙂

Are the Categories that import over, the fields to the left that folks can click on? Events will have several categories / fields.

You can assign multiple categories to your events. In your CSV, you’ll enter multiple categories by adding a comma between each category given to an individual event.

As for your users, they will be able to select the categories they’d like to view if you have the Filter Bar add-on.

Can I have an area that imports in for the event website that the end user can click on?

I’m not sure that I completely understand what you mean here but if we’re talking about allowing users to add their own events to your calendar, this can be done with the Community Events add-on. If that’s not what you mean, feel free to explain a bit further.

Is there a limit to the number of characters in the description field?

Nope, there’s no limit here.

Is there a limit to the Title field?

There’s also no limit to the title of your events. The only concern I can think of considering how your theme is handling very long titles. Sometimes the theme author may not consider that scenario and an extra bit of line spacing or padding would make it more readable.

I hope that helps! Let me know if there’s anything else I can help out with.

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Cindy

Hi Jami,

Thank-you again!

For question 3 that was not very clear, in my current calendar there is a place to put the link that will take an end user to the official website of the event to learn more or to book it. (I am not doing the bookings at my site)

1. Is there an area in within the event that the link to the official site will be added?
    2. Can I enter that into the CSV and have it import in?

Getting really close to knowing this will work! 🙂

Warm regards from Tucson, (very warm… it is supposed to be in high 90’s this week. LOL )

Cindy

Cindy

Oh… Did not see an answer on this one:

2. With my current calendar I’m not putting in venue. I’m trying to enter basic info and have a link for the end user to find more detailed info. I am putting in a location and there are many of those. If I’m not listing the address, city, etc of the venue and only putting in City and State, can that get imported in when I import the events? I did see a “location” option.

Basically I do not need Venue, which Rob’s video shows has to be imported separately, but I do use City and state under “location’ in my current plugin. Can I import that in via CSV on the event import?

Thanks!

Jami
    Blocked

Hi Cindy,

You’re welcome to place any links that you’d like in the events description area. The CVS importer will take care of this for you if you’ve placed the link in this area, or, you can enter those details when editing a single event in your WordPress Dashboard.

Here’s a list of the event data you’ll be able to map from your CVS to The Events Calendar:

http://d.pr/i/1io0s

If you want to assign location information to the event so that it’s supported by the plugin, you would want to also import Venues. Here’s a screenshot of the venues data list you’ll be able to map:

http://d.pr/i/1gctp

If you would rather not import venues then you can always add any information you’d like to the “Description” field of your events. This data wouldn’t be categorized in the database though.

The “Location” field is what would be populated by a Venue CVS import. Of course you can always manually enter this for each event too.

I hope that helps!

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Cindy

Thanks so much for all the info! I think this has me sold. 🙂

I am looking at getting new theme. Is there one that you have seen with other folks calendars that you might suggest?

Cindy

Jami
    Blocked

That’s great to hear! Welcome welcome!

As for themes, we test against the official WordPress.org themes so those should work out of the box:

https://wordpress.org/themes/author/wordpressdotorg/

If you’re looking for a premium theme, there are a number that list The Events Calendar as supported on the Envato Market. We haven’t tested the themes available on premium marketplaces though.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help with anything else.

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Josh
    Participant

Hey Cindy,

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you.

I’ll go ahead and close this thread for now. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to open a new one.

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘CSV Import and multiple calendars’ is closed to new replies.