Can I make "lower class" of events that appear on calendar but don't have page

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Can I make "lower class" of events that appear on calendar but don't have page

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Yoni Balkind

Hi

I am looking to create a calendar in which people can list events for free, but I want to incentive them to pay for additional functionality.

My thinking is that free events will appear on calendar but that you cannot click on the event for more details. You can merely see the event title and dates on the calendar, maybe a bit more info, but no dedicated page. And then paid events can obviously be clickable and have a full page with all details.

Is this possibly with The Event Calendar and if so with which Add-on?

Thanks

Yoni

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Yoni and welcome to the Events Calendar forum!

Thank you for your interest in our products.
    We’ll be glad to answer your questions.

But first, I want to apologize for the delay in answering. As it turns out your question unintentionally ended up being flagged as spam for some reason.

I am looking to create a calendar in which people can list events for free, but I want to incentive them to pay for additional functionality.

My thinking is that free events will appear on calendar but that you cannot click on the event for more details. You can merely see the event title and dates on the calendar, maybe a bit more info, but no dedicated page. And then paid events can obviously be clickable and have a full page with all details.

This is a very interesting project.

The short answer is that yes it is possible to do that, but it will require some customization to be done.

Here’s a quick breakdown of how that might work:

1. You will need a copy of our Community Events Add-on: https://theeventscalendar.com/product/wordpress-community-events/
    2. You will need to have some kind of custom field added to events to establish wether they should display fully or not
    3. You will need to decide how you want this custom field to be populated (manually, subscription based, etc..)
    4. You will need to do a template customization of the different views to prevent free events from being clickable. You might want to read our Themer’s guide to get a sense of how that works.

As an alternative, you can hire one of our recommended customizers to do the customization for you.

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Yoni
    Participant

Hi Geoff

Thanks very much for your response which is most helpful.

Since I posted the question I’ve actually purchased Event Calendar Pro (which I’m very happy with). You mentioned that I will need to have some kind of custom field added to events to establish whether they should display fully or not. That makes perfect sense. If I’m not mistaken, the Event Calendar Pro does allow for custom fields.

In this case, would I still need the Community Events Add-on? If so why?
    (assume that I do not need to allow user to submit events from the front end. I am happy for them to email me their event and I load the events myself manually)

Thanks

Yoni

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Yoni,

Thank you for writing back.

If I’m not mistaken, the Event Calendar Pro does allow for custom fields.

That is correct. You can also add custom fields using a plugin such as Advanced Custom Fields.

In this case, would I still need the Community Events Add-on? If so why?
    (assume that I do not need to allow user to submit events from the front end. I am happy for them to email me their event and I load the events myself manually)

You are right again. The Community Events add-on is only useful if you plan on letting users submit events from the front-end.
    But if you don’t mind the manual entry of events submitted by email or contact form, then you don’t need it.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Can I make "lower class" of events that appear on calendar but don't have page’ is closed to new replies.