Aggregator won’t connect to facebook

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Aggregator won’t connect to facebook

• This topic has 21 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Kevin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

HI – starting a new thread. My aggregator won’t connect to facebook – I click on connect – goest to the FB connect screen, I click that , there;s a momentary popup/wcreen that flashes by – it says “success” and drops me back onto the event page of my site but never actually connects. Attached are screen shots. Here is the log file from my last attempt:

“2016-11-29 00:45:04″,”No Records over retetion limit, skipped pruning expired”,debug,aggregator
    “2016-11-29 00:45:04″,”No Records Pending, skipped Fetching from service”,debug,aggregator
    “2016-11-29 00:45:04″,”No Records Scheduled, skipped creating childs”,debug,aggregator

Hunter

Welcome back, Kevin 🙂

I’m not seeing any logged bug reports resembling what you’ve described. I’m also unable to reproduce the behavior on my test site. Before we proceed, can you please confirm you’ve reviewed our Testing for conflicts guide? If not, please do so and reply back with your findings.

Thank you and have a great afternoon. Cheers!

Kevin
    Participant

HI – yes, I have disabled all other plugins, activated the base 2016 theme, activated the events calendar plugins – tried various combinations of them as well – and no matter what I do the facebook connect element doesn’t work – the popup shows for about .5 seconds (see screen shot) and then disappears and I am dumped on my site’s event page with no connection to facebook. I’ve tried multiple browsers on this as well. I’ve tried it when logged into facebook and when not logged in. same results.

You mentioned when we started this process that I needed to activate events tickets and event tickets plus – I did install these and activate but we were not intending to ticket with these events so I don’t have a license for event tickets plus – is that also required for using the facebook feed with the aggregator?

When I initiated this process I licensed and installed the facebook import plugin from you guys and filled in the API key and secret. I’ve gone in and deleted those and deactivated the plugin but I’m wondering if somehow the connection was cached or something between your plugins and facebook. I’ve deleted all your plugins and re-installed via FTP but still get the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Hunter

Hey Kevin,

Thank you for the thorough response. You do not need Event Tickets Plus for Event Aggregator to work, you just need an active license for Event Aggregator (which you have).

This one definitely has me a little stumped! Do you see any errors on your server’s error log? Please add the following lines to your site’s wp-config.php file and let me know what you find out.

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

Have a good afternoon and thanks again.

Kevin
    Participant

After turning debugging on as requested, and attempting (again) to connect Aggregator, the following message was displayed:

Notice: tribe_is_recurring_event was called incorrectly. You need to pass a post ID or use it in the loop. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.10.) in /home/biffmass/public_html/2013site/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3996

Michelle
    Participant

I just wanted to chime in and say I am experiencing the exact same issue. Try to connect to Facebook and it just takes me to the events landing page on my site. I tried various different things like trying to be signed out of Facebook when I hit the connect button, trying to connect with different Facebook accounts and nothing has worked.

Hunter

Hey Kevin,

Thank you for the update. I know this next step is not ideal, but can you please set up a test environment using strictly the default theme and our plugins to see if you can reproduce the behavior? Please let me know if this is feasible and if so, what the results are. I’m not seeing any logged bugs of users reporting similar behaviors at this time.

@Michelle, thank you for chiming in here. Please create a separate thread for your issue. It will help expedite the entire process for both of you and if a bug is in play, the more threads related to the bug will help increase the likeliness it gets patched up sooner rather than later.

Thanks to the both of you for your patience while we investigate and have a great upcoming weekend. Cheers!

Michelle
    Participant

Oh my goodness, I just got it to work. Writing this here so that it might help Kevin. I changed my permalinks to default saved it and then changed it back to post-name. Then I retried connecting the Facebook API. The usual screen came up, but then it took me to an error page because the URL it sent me to did not include the directory where my wordpress files were saved. On the error page, I went to the URL and added my directory name after my domain, and it worked. Perhaps try that to see if this works for you too.

Have a good weekend!
    Michelle

Hunter

Hey Michelle!

Thank you so much for including your solution here! Hopefully it helps Kevin! We’ll hang tight and hope for some positive news. I’ll also leave this step-by-step guide to getting Event Aggregator up and running too.

Thanks again Michelle and take care!

Kevin
    Participant

Michelle – thanks so much for posting your results! Unfortunately, your fix did not work for me. I got the same exact error message as previously:

Notice: tribe_is_recurring_event was called incorrectly. You need to pass a post ID or use it in the loop. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.10.) in /home/biffmass/public_html/2013site/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3996

BUT – your experience leads me to wonder if the plugin is not built to handle WordPress core files in a subdirectory. Hunter (or other help staff) – is that a possibility?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Kevin,

Thanks for giving Michelle’s steps a whirl.

BUT – your experience leads me to wonder if the plugin is not built to handle WordPress core files in a subdirectory. Hunter (or other help staff) – is that a possibility?

Out plugin is designed to be installed within a subdirectory. However, it is possible that the fact that your root directory is also a WordPress install could mutzing with things. since yoursite.com/ and yoursite.com/2013site/ are both WordPress installs, this might be part of the problem. I’m not even sure WordPress itself always behave properly in this configuration, and I’m equally uncertain our plugin will. Do to how Wp Rewrites work, I just see this as being a distinct possibility.

When I visit yoursite.com/2013site/ I get a 404 error. Do you have any idea why?

I have spent a good chunk of time researching this error message you are seeing, and have a few more questions for you if you don’t mind.

1. Is this a brand new install of The Events Calendar, or were you running The Events Calendar before (perhaps in 2013?)
    2. Do you still see this message when you disable Events Calendar Pro ? If the error does away, are you able to import? You can always safely disable/reenable Events Calendar Profor testing purposes.
    3. What permalink settings are you using in WP-Admin > Settings > Permalinks?

Thanks for working with us on this.

Cheers!

– Brook

Kevin
    Participant

This is a standard configuration for WordPress. Please read this article for more details:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory

In our case, the WordPress core files are installed in biffma.org/2013site, but the home page is at biffma.org. That is why you see a 404 when trying to view biffma.org/2013site in a browser.

1. This is a new install of TEC.

2. Of course the error goes away when TEC is disabled; the error is only being generated/displayed when we attempt to connect the Aggregator.

3. We are using /year/month/postname for our permalinks.

Brook
    Participant

Thank you for getting back Kevin!

To clarify on number 2:

Do you still see this message when you disable Events Calendar Pro ? If the error does away, are you able to import? You can always safely disable/reenable Events Calendar Pro for testing purposes.

I was asking what happens when you disable Events Calendar Pro not The Events Calendar. The error you are seeing references Pro, hence my curiosity. It’s possible the error will change slightly when you disable Pro, and help shed more light on what’s happening. Do you mind trying this and letting me know what happens?

This is a standard configuration for WordPress. Please read this article for more details:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory

Interesting. It is possible this is related. To be fair that is not a standard install, and I am not sure if we have ever tested that. Putting WordPress in a sub directory is one thing, but moving it outside of its root dir definitely could cause problems.

I am going to try reproducing this on a new test install with WordPress moved outside of the subdir. While I do that, would you mind disabling Events Calendar Pro and seeing if the error changes or goes away? If it changes, what is the new message?

Cheers!

– Brook

Kevin
    Participant

I hate to belabor this point, but you seem to be misinformed. This *is* absolutely a WordPress-approved configuration. If you read the steps on the referenced Codex article, under the heading Moving a Root install to its own directory, that is exactly the way this site is set up. All core files in a sub-directory, index.php at the root. I don’t have any idea what you mean here:

“I am going to try reproducing this on a new test install with WordPress moved outside of the subdir.”

WordPress core files are *in* a sub-directory. Exactly as described in that Codex article. Do you need to log in via FTP so that you can see how it’s set up? I think we need to clear up your confusion on this question before we go any further.

To your question about Pro: I disabled it, tried again to connect Facebook. You can see the result in the screen capture attached. I was taken to a page that appears to be our events page, but with Page Not Found as the title in the browser tab. Where the events should appear, it reads There were no results found… which might be correct, since all of our BIFFMA events have passed.

But when I look in the Dashboard, under Events > Settings > APIs, it still indicates that I am not connected to Facebook.

Kevin
    Participant

I added a dummy facebook event on Jan 25 for testing, then tried connecting again. Same result; I was taken to a page that appears to be our events page, but with Page Not Found as the title in the browser tab. Where the events should appear, it reads There were no results found.

So the problem is unrelated to whether there are any upcoming facebook events to import.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘Aggregator won’t connect to facebook’ is closed to new replies.