Active filters selected are not displayed when Find Events buttons clicked

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Active filters selected are not displayed when Find Events buttons clicked

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sean
    Participant

Hi,

We have found that the “display active filters selected in the Filter Bar” feature released in Filter Bar version 4.5 does not display the selected/active filters if the “Use Javascript to control date filtering” option in TEC settings is turned OFF. Specifically, when the user clicks the “Find Events” button, the selected filters are not shown on the Filter Bar. If the user refreshes the page though, the selected filters are displayed upon the page reloading.

However, if the “Use Javascript to control date filtering” option in TEC settings is turned ON, then the selected filters are immediately shown (as expected) when an option is selected from a filter.

With that said, should the selected filters be displayed without a page refresh (when the “Use Javascript to control date filtering” option in TEC settings is turned OFF)? If that is not a bug and is not the designed behavior, is there a workaround or template override we can make so that if we are not using AJAX search, when a user clicks “Find Events” their selected filters are shown in the Filter Bar?

Thank you,
    Karly

Cliff

Hi, Karly. Sorry you’re experiencing this.

We just released some updates. I’m not sure if this issue might be fixed by them, but let’s cross our fingers and hope so! 🙂

Could you please make sure all your Modern Tribe plugins (and WordPress core) are at their latest versions?

Once you verify you’re on the latest versions, please test to see if the issue is still happening for you.

Of course, we always recommend restorable database and file backups before modifying anything on your site.

Please also share your System Information (after doing the updates) in a Private Reply. That will give me a lot of extra information to help troubleshoot this.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

Sean
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Thanks for trying the latest versions.

Please follow our Testing for Conflicts Guide (basically switch to Twenty Seventeen theme and deactivate all plugins and custom code other than Modern Tribe plugins) and see if that helps narrow down the cause of this.

Of course, we always recommend restorable database and file backups before modifying anything on your site.

If it doesn’t, please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG (which will create a file on your server at /wp-content/debug.log if there are any WP_DEBUG messages) and share any debug messages you see while trying to replicate this issue and doing other things on your site relevant to this ticket (such as visiting your site’s home page, events page, single-event pages, and anything else you can think to do).

Then, please share your System Information (while in Testing for Conflicts Mode) in a Private Reply. That will give me a lot of extra information to help troubleshoot this.

You might also see if you can spot any console errors at your site. (If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

If this issue persists for you after all this testing, would you be able to share an annotated screenshot, screen capture video, and/or relevant URLs to clarify exactly what’s happening here?

Thank you.

Sean
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Thanks for all the information.

FYI: I wasn’t able to open a .swf file. If you feel we’d still need a video to understand the issue, https://www.techsmith.com/jing-tool.html is cross-platform, free, and easy to use. https://www.getcloudapp.com/ is even nicer but has paid plans.

Following your steps to reproduce, I saw this console error at your site: https://cl.ly/3u3u0r0U0J2H
    (If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

FYI: There was also a console message about no Google Maps API key (https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#no-api-keys), which the distance searching would require. Please follow https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/setting-up-your-google-maps-api-key/ if you need to get an API key.

To your questions:

1. Does the “proximity” filter disappear even when the “Use Javascript to control date filtering” option in TEC settings is CHECKED?
    2. Filter Bar’s “distance” filter (or “proximity” filter on your site) is only available if Events Calendar PRO is also available, but this filter isn’t limited to Map View.
    Sean
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

The console error you saw is a known issue that your team is currently working to fix. Please see this topic:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/uncaught-typeerror-cannot-read-property-max_lat-of-null/

Thanks for answering my question about the Proximity filter. We don’t have the API key on our staging site but it is on our production site (the original issue persists regardless of if an API key exists).

Regarding the original issue of the “active” filters not displaying, given that you were able to reproduce this issue, can you please confirm that a bug has been logged and that we will be notified when a fix is released in an upcoming maintenance release?

Thank you.

Cliff

I found out from others and confirmed on my own testing site that the Distance filter only appears after a “Near” field search has been performed.

Here’s a video of it working as expected on my localhost: https://cl.ly/2R0F2T31351c

Sean
    Participant
    1. Hmm, I’m not sure how the Distance filter is still appearing without a “Near” field search having been performed if we are now running the Twenty Seventeen theme and only TEC plugins (TEC, TEC PRO, Community Events, and Filter Bar). Any ideas? Is there a particular core file that controls that behavior that could somehow be corrupt and we can try overwriting?

2. Can you please confirm if you’ve been able to reproduce the original bug (“display active filters selected in the Filter Bar”) and if so, if it will be logged for an upcoming maintenance release?

We have found that the “display active filters selected in the Filter Bar” feature released in Filter Bar version 4.5 does not display the selected/active filters if the “Use Javascript to control date filtering” option in TEC settings is turned OFF. Specifically, when the user clicks the “Find Events” button, the selected filters are not shown on the Filter Bar. If the user refreshes the page though, the selected filters are displayed upon the page reloading.

However, if the “Use Javascript to control date filtering” option in TEC settings is turned ON, then the selected filters are immediately shown (as expected) when an option is selected from a filter.

Cliff

1)

The Distance filter gets added by using the tribe_events_filters_create_filters action hook in /wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/Tribe/Geo_Loc.php

The do_action is in /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-filterbar/src/Tribe/View.php

2)

Here’s a video of me replicating the issue where “Use Javascript to control date filtering” is unchecked: https://cl.ly/0Q0m1e1P1m2v

Are you saying you want this unchecked but for Filter Bar’s filtering to still work via Ajax?

Sean
    Participant
    1. Thanks. I’ll try deleting and replacing those files to see if either of is somehow corrupt and not working properly.

2. Yes, I expected the selected filters (e.g. “Active” and “Many, Many Events” in your video) to be displayed in the Filter Bar upon a search being performed via the Find Events button even if “Use Javascript to control date filtering” is OFF. It sounds like this is not the default behavior. Is there a snippet we could add to our functions.php that enables the “active filters” to appear when a search is performed with AJAX search off?

Cliff

Hi, Karly. Sorry for the delayed reply here!

Did #1 work for you?

(I’m waiting to hear back about #2 from one of our developers.)

Cliff

After checking with one of our developers, I reported this as a brand new issue to our development team. Here’s the video demonstrating the issue to them: https://cl.ly/1d3S0E0j1m3g

I marked this thread as Pending Fix, which means it should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now. They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.

I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Sean
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

We tried replacing the two files that control/add the Distance filer, but unfortuantely that didn’t fix the problem (the filter is still showing on the Filter Bar before any search is submitted). We’re continuing to investigate, but in the meantime, have simply removed this filter from the front-end.

Happy to hear you were able to reproduce and have reported the issue of the “active filters selected in the Filter Bar” not appearing when AJAX is disabled for submitting searches. We’ll be looking forward to the fix being released in a future update.

Thanks again for your help!

Best,
    Karly

Cliff

Thanks for your understanding and patience, Karly.

I asked them to push this through as quickly as possible because I’m hoping that it’s a quick fix. Again, though, we can’t guarantee any release date.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Active filters selected are not displayed when Find Events buttons clicked’ is closed to new replies.