404 not found on key pages

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events 404 not found on key pages

• This topic has 19 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Mark A Jenkins.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mark A Jenkins
    Participant

Can anybody shed any light on why we are now getting a 404 not found on key community events pages.
    /events/community/add
    /events/community/list

All other events pages seem to be working fine.

Any help resolving this is greatly appreciated.
    Mark

Geoff B.

Good evening Mark and welcome to the Events Calendar Support forum!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We are sorry to hear about the 404 error messages you have been getting.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

As a first step, I would recommend reading and trying the following: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/fixing-http-404-errors/

If that does not work, it looks like there is some type of conflict at play.
    This is usually because of:

1. A conflict with another plugin
    2. A conflict with your WordPress theme
    3. A template customization for the Events Calendar that requires updating

A first quick test is to simply temporarily revert back to a default WordPress theme such as twenty-sixteen to see if the issue persists.

The next step would be to go through our testing for conflicts procedure (preferably in a staging/dev environment or local install of your WordPress website) and let us know what you find out.

Basically the goal here is to revert back to a bare WordPress installation to see if the problem persists. It also allows us to pinpoint what the cause of the issue is.

But, before you do that, there are 2 things I would advise:

1. Make a backup of your database
    2. Consider activating a “Maintenance Page” plugin if you are doing this on your live site (to minimize impact on your visitors)

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Mark A Jenkins
    Participant

OK thanks, I have tried the majority of what you suggest to no avail. I will systematically work through everything again and feedback to follow asap.

Geoff B.

Good evening Mark,

Please keep me posted.
    I am especially interested in finding out if switching to a default theme solves it.

I would recommend re-saving your permalinks every step of the way if you can.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Mark A Jenkins
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Mark A Jenkins
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening Mark,

Thank you for the files.

For Shield, I would recommend reaching out to the plugin’s author.
    I am guessing that what is going on is that the plugin is preventing access to what it perceives to be backend functionality from the front-end.

I am pretty sure that with their expertise, they might be able to craft a snippet to add exceptions to that rule.

With that in mind, I went ahead and tried your child theme (using our latest versions).
    The good news is that it worked.

However, I am getting several error messages:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/vhosts/example.com/mysite.example.com/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 49

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/vhosts/example.com/mysite.example.com/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 55

Notice: Use of undefined constant bp_is_profile – assumed ‘bp_is_profile’ in /var/www/vhosts/example.com/mysite.example.com/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 67

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/vhosts/example.com/mysite.example.com/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 67

In other words, it seems that your child theme is due for an update.

The next things to try would be to remove the offending lines in functions.php.

While you are at it, try temporarily renaming the /tribe-events/ folder to /z_tribe-events/.

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Mark A Jenkins
    Participant

Hi Geoff, thanks for your recent reply I will have a look into what you suggest this week. In the meantime is there any way I can update all of TEC plugins on my staging server without switching the license across?

Thanks,
    Mark

Geoff B.

Good evening Mark,

Alright, let me know how that goes.

As per your question, if you do not want to temporarily move your license around, the other solution would be to simply download the latest versions from here: https://theeventscalendar.com/my-account/downloads/ and installing them using the Add/Upload plugin functionality.

Keep me posted.
    Cheers,

Geoff B.

Mark A Jenkins
    Participant

The problem is being caused by a setting in WordFence that permits you to hide the WordPress version.
    The community events plugin must be checking for WP vers x.x.x and the plugin sets it to vers LOL.
    I tested this out on our staging server with no object caching and it now works as intended. However when I switched it off on the live server it with same versions of plugins it didn’t work. The only diff. being that we have Redis object caching in place. Despite flushing the cache and even turning it off it still doesn’t work on the live server.
    Stange thing is that with shield off each page in dashboard displays the correct WP vers. but with Shield back on it displays the LOL vers. Even with Shield off and the correct vers. displayed the pages still return a 404 not found.

I am stumped now how to resolve this, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark

Mark A Jenkins
    Participant

OK so now it’s working on the live website and all pages in the dashboard display the correct vers.
    This suggests two things, either the Flush cache option in the plugin isn’t working or there’s another level of caching coming into play. The pages now work as the server side cache must be automatically flushed every x mins.

Next task is to find out more about the Redis cache plugin and server side cache config.

Is there a quick way to fix the formatting issue with the buttons on the list screen (see screenshot). Shouldn’t they be in a horizontal line with spacing in between.

Thanks for all your help.
    Mark

Geoff B.

Good evening Mark,

Wow. This is stellar troubleshooting.
    Kudos!

If you don’t mind, please share your findings if any on the Redis cache issue.

Is there a quick way to fix the formatting issue with the buttons on the list screen (see screenshot). Shouldn’t they be in a horizontal line with spacing in between.

The short answer is yes.

You are right. These should display on a horizontal line with a space between them.

It is most probably a simple CSS rule issue and this is probably specific to your WordPress theme.

To help out, I would need to create a dummy event (very far in the future) with your permission. Is that OK ?

The other solution would be to send me a copy of the latest version of your WordPress theme / child theme via a link to a .zip file link (stored Dropbox or Google Drive) so that I can run some tests on my end ? I recommend a private reply for that purpose.

Please ensure you are using the latest files as found on your actual website.
    This way I will get access to any updates or customizations you might have made.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Mark A Jenkins
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening Mark,

Try adding the following CSS rule to your style.css file or in your Custom CSS metabox:

#tribe-community-events #add-new {
    display: block;
    float: left;
    margin-right: 4px;
    }

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘404 not found on key pages’ is closed to new replies.