404 errors on recurring events & cannot edit series

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO 404 errors on recurring events & cannot edit series

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Angie
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Let’s first address the issue of not being able to edit these events via wp-admin.

I doubt it’s a “page 3” issue… if you created 20 more events, it’d probably become a “page 4” or “page 5” issue.

However, those “page 3” events may have been created at the same time, like during a time there might have been a bug or plugin conflict while creating them.

Can you Trash them instead of Editing them? If yes, is deleting and recreating them a possible resolution?

Do you know of any commonalities among these “page 3” recurring events, like custom recurrence rules, have date exceptions, or are all scheduled a certain time period (e.g. weekly or monthly)?

Again, sorry you’re experiencing this frustrating issue. We’re determined to get to the bottom of things and really appreciate all your information and cooperation!

Angie
    Participant

You can trash individual instances by selecting bin. Restoring them doesn’t correct the permalink.
    The point I was trying to make about the edit permalinks wasn’t so much about the “page 3”, but was the fact that the event posts which have the problem ALL have post_type=tribe_events in the edit permalink, whereas the event posts that are ok do not have tribe_events in the edit permalink.

I know that at least 1 of the events that now has a problem was working ok before.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix this or are you saying that I have to delete all the corrupted events & re-create them? There are a lot of events here.

Cliff

Hey Angie. Definitely not saying to delete everything. Any deleting would be the customer’s sole decision, but I suggested trying it as a workaround since you’re in a staging site anyway.

With all that we’ve tried so far, we now need to know more about any patterns you can discern.

Do you know of any commonalities among the “trouble events”, like custom recurrence rules, having date exceptions, or are all of them scheduled as a certain time period (e.g. weekly or monthly)?

For the 1 event that was working but now isn’t, do you know what changed… Did you update one of our plugins or a different one? Did you switch themes? Did you edit the event after creating it? Did a certain amount of time pass and then something happened? Do you know of any other events that might have been the same way (working before but not anymore)?

Angie
    Participant

I can only tell you the following:
    some events are monthly, some are weekly, some are custom (ie. 1st sat of each month) so no pattern there;
    Some were submitted via community events, some were added by my client;
    I haven’t switched the theme;
    I restored the oldest version of the site (including database)that WP Engine had which was 27th September and the problem was still there (I subsequently restored the newest version) although I know that the events where working on 27th August because I have a screenshot of one showing the correct permalink – This is when we had the other 404 error that was caused by the date picker issue, see this thread:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/recurring-events-404-error-2/
    So the events where working after I changed the date picker format;
    I have updated your plugin since then, when you released a new version;
    All the problem events have post_type=tribe_events in the edit url;
    You cannot edit these events, but you can edit single or upcoming;
    Only default permalinks work for these events, but you still can’t edit them;

I have had to fix these events on the live site which I did by editing upcoming, adding the recurrence rule, saving, changing the permalink to post-name/all instead of /post-date/date-of-single-post/all and saving again. I have left the problem on the staging site incase you want me to try anything else to fix it.

Cliff

Angie, you’ve been great with all the feedback here.

The bad news is that I don’t know what to tell you to fix it (yet?) because this issue isn’t being reported by others.

The good news is that we’re still trying and our developers will do their best to figure out if there’s any way we can help with your issue.

To that end, I think it best to request you do a database dump in a private reply.

You can do this via PHPMyAdmin or another method you’re comfortable with, but we’ll need a copy of the entire database to try to debug this further.

Thanks!

Angie
    Participant

I’ve downloaded the database – how do I get it over to you?

Cliff

You could add it to Dropbox, CloudApp, or any other such cloud file storage service. Then send us a private reply with the link. Once we confirm we’ve downloaded it, you could delete it from the cloud.

Angie
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Got it. Thanks!

I’ve submitted it to our developers to review. We’ll update this ticket after they have a chance to look into it.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Cliff

This reply is private.

Angie
    Participant

Your list is the same as I had by going through manually.
    I do not know of anything that links them. Some where added some time ago & some more recently. I know that some of them definitely worked before I had to change the date picker format due to my other issue. So it was sometime after that.

Cliff

Angie, I’m glad we could at least confirm the pattern (what we found via database and what you found in your own testing).

Could you please recreate one of those events, test to make sure it works properly — and, if it does, continue recreating the rest of the ones on our “broken events” list?

We know it’s not fun recreating events, but we’ve not seen this issue appear for anyone else and building you a custom solution to resolve the issue would probably take as much or more time than you recreating them. As such, having you recreate these events is recommended, assuming the first test one works properly.

Please proceed with this course of action and update me accordingly.

Thank you for your understanding.

Angie
    Participant

I have already done this as I couldn’t leave the site as it was. I was able to edit the upcoming recurring events and add the recurrance rule, save, change the permalink to /event-post-name/all and save again.

Cliff

Oh, great. Glad to hear it.

So at this point is there anything left to do? I want to make sure we fully resolve all aspects of this issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The topic ‘404 errors on recurring events & cannot edit series’ is closed to new replies.