The Events Calendar does not have drag-and-drop or “page builder” type functionality, but this extension creates a useful variety of WordPress widget areas (a.k.a. sidebars) in strategic locations on the Events Archive views and on the Single Events page.
Available Widget Areas
This extension creates these new widget areas:
- TEC Above Calendar
- Widgets in this area will be shown ABOVE The Events Calendar (archive and single event pages).
- TEC Below Calendar
- Widgets in this area will be shown BELOW The Events Calendar (archive and single event pages).
- TEC Single: Top
- Widgets in this area will be shown ABOVE Single Events.
- TEC Single: Above Description
- Widgets in this area will be shown ABOVE the Single Event Description.
- TEC Single: Below Description
- Widgets in this area will be shown BELOW the Single Event Description.
- TEC Single: Above Details
- Widgets in this area will be shown ABOVE the Single Event Details.
- TEC Single: Below Details (Before)
- Widgets in this area will be shown DIRECTLY BELOW the Single Event Details (before Related Events and Tickets, if displayed).
- TEC Single: Below Details (After)
- Widgets in this area will be shown BELOW the Single Event Details (after Related Events and Tickets, if displayed).
- TEC Single: Bottom
- Widgets in this area will be shown BELOW Single Events.
As demonstrated in the screenshot above, you can use these widgets in the WordPress Customizer, just like all your other widgets. However, note that the Customizer only displays widget areas that apply to the page you are currently previewing/editing. Therefore:
- If you you are previewing/editing a Post or Page, you won’t see any of these widget areas in the Customizer.
- If you are previewing/editing an Events Archive view, you will not see the TEC Single widget areas.
Disabling Certain Widget Areas
Upon initial activation of this extension plugin, all of these widget areas will be enabled (so your wp-admin > Appearance > Widgets screen may look a bit cluttered at first glance).
You have the option to disable some of these widget areas by going to wp-admin > Events > Settings > Display tab > Advanced Template Settings section and unchecking the ones you want disabled.
If you’d like all of these widget areas disabled, just deactivate this extension.
⚠️ Please note that rendering widgets in-page instead of in a theme’s normally-designated sidebar area may result in your widgets needing some styling tweaks to look just right. This may include things like restricting width or centering widgets. We do
not provide such styling support, but the
#tribe-events li.widget CSS selector may come in handy for your customizations.
- Version 1.0.0
- Initial release
- Version 1.0.1
- Fix – Extension now conditionally requires the Settings_Helper.php file to prevent the Cannot declare class Tribe__Extension__Settings_Helper because the name is already in use error.
- Version 1.1.0
- Feature – Updated to work with v2 views from The Events Calendar v5.0+ (January 2020).
- Fix – The “TEC Single: Top” widget area was displaying below the single event if the event wasn’t part of a recurrence series.
- Fix – Placed the order of options to be the first under the “Advanced Template Settings” section at the bottom of the Display tab, ensuring we don’t get in the middle of other options.
- Tweak – Tribe option key changed from tribe_ext_enabled_widget_areas to tribe_ext_calendar_widget_areas_enabled_areas so you’ll need to re-save your disabled widget areas. By default, all widget areas are enabled.
- Tweak – Migrated code to the current Extension Template framework, adding a readme.txt, .pot file, and support for GitHub Updater.
- Tweak – License changed from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+.