What hooks/filters do you want to see in Community Events?

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events What hooks/filters do you want to see in Community Events?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rob

Hey everyone! We’ve heard rumblings lately that folks are looking to do more in terms of customizations to the frontend Community submission form and its various components. After some internal discussion we agreed a lot more flexibility could be offered by introducing some new hooks/filters, and wanted to solicit ideas from all of you in the community on that end.

So: what hooks would you want to see? What filters would you want to see? And what is the end goal you’d be trying to accomplish with them? If you let us know, we’ll take these into consideration and incorporate what is doable in the next Community build. Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Barbara
    Participant

Stop me if you already have this and I missed it (help?).

I am working on a complex calendar for a martial arts studio that has lots of categories (class types) and three different rooms in which the “events/classes” take place. I have used the Venue field to separate the events into their different rooms and I can probably use the Colors plug-in to call out the different categories, but the calendar is chock-full. That makes it difficult to understand, visually speaking, when it comes to seeing WHERE things are taking place. Because the “Venues” are different rooms rather than different geographic locations,, the mapping option not helpful in this case. Here’s the link (check the calendar beginning the week of 4/22): http://wetrainhard.com/events-calendar/
    Thanks! Barbara

Barry

Hi Barbara,

I think that’s more of a general The Events Calendar/Events Calendar PRO problem and it would probably be better to post across in the PRO forum for help with this – this specific thread is all about customizing the submit events form, particularly through the medium of filter and action hooks.

For your specific problem I think you’d really need to have a think about the strategy you want to use to selectively show/hide events to make it “less busy” – there are different ways you could do that and what makes sense for you/your client/their customers will largely dictate the approach you settle on.

We can then offer prompts and pointers to help you implement the strategy, but basically you would need to come up with the idea and drive it forward yourself 🙂

viracreatv
    Participant

Request: Hooks/filters to be use with third party forms such as Gravity Forms. I want to stick with the form of my choice. I will happily pay for a Gravity Forms + ECP addon. Please, please consider the possibility; do a survey to see how many users actually use Gravity Forms and want this feature. You might be surprised.

Barry

Thanks viracreatv, that’s an interesting idea and we’re certainly aware of Gravity Forms’ popularity.

It occurs though that many of the actions and filters you might need would be on the Gravity Forms side here (catching the form data once it is submitted, enforcing validation rules etc) – past that point are there any specific actions or filters you feel you would need on The Events Calendar side?

If so definitely let us know: our UserVoice page would be great for this as, if I’m understanding you correctly, you are really talking about either having a pre-built plugin or else steps to improve the ease with which ‘glue code’ can be created between Gravity Forms and The Events Calendar, rather than hooks for Community Events itself.

karen
    Participant

Event contributors don’t seem to be able to Edit the event after publishing. I hold the event in “Pending Review” before publishing an event. I can edit it as the Organizer until after it is published. Not afterward. Is this a “Feature” or a Bug. If it is a feature, suggestion… Make being able to edit permament. IF it is a Bug, ask me and I will publish this elsewhere. Thanks!

Barry

I would see that as a feature request. I’d definitely be curious to see how many others would want this, though. Could you post a brief summary and your use-case over on our UserVoice page?

https://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas

That also means others can comment on and endorse or otherwise show their support for the idea, which gives us a good gauge as to how much demand there is. (Indeed, you may find there is an existing issue for this on UserVoice – in which case just add your own comments in support.)

Thanks!

karen
    Participant

so, I am guessing that even if they did not go to pending but right to published, this could not happen. So if they made a mistake or wanted to add a picture, then SOL.

Barry

By SOL you mean sadly out of luck? 😉

It should actually be possible – if you navigate to Events > Settings > Community and look at the options in the Members section you should see a checkbox for Edit their submissions which you can then enable (remember to save your changes!).

It was my memory (which turned out to be incorrect) that the ability to edit them wouldn’t be available before the event is approved (published), but actually it looks as though that isn’t the case – so if you enable the above setting you and your users should be good to go.

Does that help?

karen
    Participant

Barry, No.. they seem to be able to edit it ONLY until it is published. perhaps I will TRY to set it to go directly to published and maybe we will have a different result.. I will let you know after I get rid of these out of memory issues. thanks!

Barry

You’re quite right, sorry for the confusion.

The rationale though would be that after having approved the listing you might not want it to be changed to include undesirable content – and an extra tier of dealing with revisions and approval would complicate the plugin considerably.

That said, definitely do feel free to post a feature request for this: https://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas

karen
    Participant

Can you confirm that, if I set it to autoPublish and not pending that they can be edited after posting? IF not, when I have time, I will test that theory. Thanks!

Barry

It basically depends on what sort of user permissions are in place.

If the person contributing the event is an editor for instance then this should be possible. If they are a subscriber it would not. That’s in line with the standard rules for creating and editing posts, per WordPress roles and capabilities rules.

What I’m going to do at this point is close this thread: it already has a couple of different voices discussing different topics and none relate directly to the original topic. Please don’t feel like we’re shutting the door in your face however – you are more than welcome to create a new thread or threads as needed should you need further assistance 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘What hooks/filters do you want to see in Community Events?’ is closed to new replies.