Website slow & completely using memory

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Website slow & completely using memory

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Barry

OK, thanks for the additional information.

So there are a lot of variables that could be relevant here (I don’t for instance know how much traffic your site is in receipt of or what sort of shape that takes) but the problem could be as simple as this: perhaps your hosting package lacks the “oomph” required to support your needs.

Note that – if it is the same hosting package I think it is – it is distinct from the range of VPS offerings sold by the same vendor. This suggests to me that, essentially, it is a traditional shared hosting package and many websites other than those you control are competing for the same resources.

A VPS could also be considered “shared hosting” but it isn’t often described that way since the degree of isolation it offers is far superior to traditional shared hosting.

With that in mind, one option I would like to table is that you review and modify your hosting arrangements: perhaps you could migrate to a VPS package (whether with the same vendor or a different one) or perhaps you could try out some shared hosting packages from other vendors – some will out-perform others and it may be that your current setup just isn’t a good fit for your project.

Testing out other providers and packages by paying for a month’s trial with a selection of them is of course going to mean a small investment of time and money, but it could be well worth it.

Iā€™d prefer to get your opinion before moving forward to install another plugin, especially one in beta.

While it’s experimental in nature nonetheless it should be safe to activate and – in the event there are any problems (though I wouldn’t suggest using it if I thought the risk was high or even moderate) – you should be able to deactivate it again without difficulty.

When in effect it should facilitate a marked reduction in work done querying for events. It is of course completely up to you whether you give this a try now or perhaps explore other hosting options first of all – or indeed take up both those options concurrently.

If you have further questions please let me know – also, if you follow either of the suggested paths (changing your hosting setup and/or activating the provided plugin), we’d love to hear how it works out for you šŸ™‚

Thanks!

acearchers
    Participant

We’re going to try the plugin before we talk about hosting upgrades. Based on their traffic & stats, hosting isn’t likely the problem. It shouldn’t be to the point where one visitor accessing the calendar is enough to crash the website, which is what is occurring.

It’s to the point that if the events calendar is hogging so many resources to produce data for users, we need to find another solution.

Barry

OK, well definitely give the plugin a try and let me know how you get on šŸ™‚

acearchers
    Participant

We’ve installed the plugin and added back in our recurring events that we had removed from the mySQL database and the website has returned to being slow, timing out issues, and load times of excessive lengths.

After a day or so when we removed the events, everything was loading quickly.

Clearly, this is completely linked to the recurring events, since as soon as we re-add them, this issue starts up again.

Ryan
    Participant

I hope I am not intruding, but I have been watching this thread recently as we seem to be having the exact same issue with our site. I thought it might be important to make the devs aware that this isn’t an isolated incident.

We have the identical hosting situation mentioned above (GoDaddy on Linux cPanel hosting. 1024MB Memory, 125 entry processes, 100 processes, I/O 1MB, 100GB Disk) and have already increased the Memory once, thinking that was the problem. We have reached the point of considering moving the site to a new host. It seems silly to take that step if the issue actually lies within the reoccurring events feature of this plugin. We only have a total of 50 events on our site at the moment and not all are reoccurring.

Barry

Hi Preston!

We definitely prefer to stick to one customer and one problem per support topic, so if you want further guidance on this please do post a fresh topic of your own and one of the team will be only too happy to help šŸ™‚

There’s a pretty big difference in the volume of events you have (as compared to acearchers, unless those 50 events do not include the total number of recurring instances) so it’s possible it may be something slightly different in your case.

@acearchers
    :

There’s no doubt that recurrence adds an amount of overhead in some scenarios and indeed this is also true of regular events. However, the reality is that it’s simply not practical to eliminate overhead altogether when extending WordPress with significant new functionality.

Naturally it is disheartening to hear that it isn’t meeting your goals and expectations because we do work hard to ensure the experience is as robust and pleasurable as possible. At the same time, it is also true that the infrastructure you are using to serve your website – the hosting package, basically – needs to be powerful enough to deliver.

We continually review our code and are always looking at ways to improve things like performance but, in this case, I don’t think there is anything further we can offer in the short term. Trialling some alternative hosting packages is my only further suggestion at this point, I’m afraid.

Barry

Hi!

It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this topic.

• Need help with anything else? Go right ahead and post a new topic, one of the team will be only too happy to help
    • Still need help with this issue and need to re-open it? Again, please simply create a new topic and link to this one to provide the team with some context

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘Website slow & completely using memory’ is closed to new replies.