Website slow & completely using memory

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Website slow & completely using memory

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    acearchers
    Participant

I’m having big issues our website. We have The Events Calendar Pro plugin installed and the Espresso theme (which clearly works for other people!). The website is very very very slow & is using up all our resources from our host constantly. The website times out often and crashes. We’ve tried everything we can to fix it to no avail. We’re talking load speeds upwards of 40 seconds.

What we’ve tried:
    1. Tested for conflicts—none. We activated Twenty14, deactivated every plugin, and tested. It seems like the Pro plugin is what’s causing the issue because that’s the only time we can replicate the issue. We can replicate the issue with Twenty14.
    2. W3 cached—this doesn’t make the issue better at all.
    3. Deleting events far out in the future, just in case it was bogging down the database too much.
    4. Increasing host limits—it’s just exceeding that too. We’re seeing 1GB+ of memory usage with very limited traffic, which obviously is insanely high. There are 12-15 php processes going at any given time.

Help?

acearchers
    Participant

Now, in trying to reenable the plugin, the calendar is *poof* gone from the website even though the slug is still set to the same thing in settings.

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on the support forum.

I would like to have access to your administration Panel so that I can do some tests, can you provide me an account with administrator permissions.

If you do please keep in mind to set the answer as Private so that only Tribe Members and You have access.

My Best Regards,

acearchers
    Participant

This reply is private.

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Thomas,

I did a small testing on my local install and I think I might have found the issue, do you have access to the Database, like a PHPMyAdmin?

If you do I would like you to ask you to delete the cron option from the wp_option, then give it a spin?

If that doesn’t work I would your permission to download the whole database and files to try to get a real diagnose because if that’s a real bug from our plugin we would love to find and fix it for the next versions.

My Best Regards,

acearchers
    Participant

This reply is private.

acearchers
    Participant

After removing the cron, the website has stopped crashing. However, we’re still having problems. When users try to navigate to the next month in the monthly view of our calendar, it’s taking a very long period of time to produce the next month.

In tracking tests of our usage, nothing is being limited when we request the next month to display so it’s not a hosting problem as far as we can tell.

acearchers
    Participant

Any help here? It’s been a number of days and we’re still having the same problems as before.

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the delay on my answer, but I think do do any further testing without compromising your live website it will require from our team a bigger effort.

You might want to invest on to some ReverseProxy Static Caching like Varnish, it could solve your issues real fast.

I wanted to ask you to give us access to the administration of your WordPress, so that I can download the Database and code to run some local benchmarks to see where is the source of the problem.

If you send the Admin info, mark the answer as private, so that only Tribe Support staff and you can see it.

I can safely say that It will take time from us, so If we find a good fix for the problem I will let you know otherwise it will be released in one of our next few releases.

My Best regards,

acearchers
    Participant

This reply is private.

acearchers
    Participant

Any ideas? News? Anything at all? We’re still seeing issues and haven’t really had much response from your team at all. Our license is running out and we’re not going to re-up if this isn’t resolved.

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Thomas,

As I told you this is not an easy problem to be fixed. I’m trying to find what is the source, I would like to ask you to have a little more patience.

A question, this only happens when you activate the Pro version or when you have the free version it happens too?

my Best Regards,

Barry

Hi @acearchers,

I’m sorry for the trouble so far.

I can appreciate you must be feeling frustrated at this point and we’re keen to build a better picture of the problem so we can try to determine if there are other ways we might be able to help.

• Do you know how many events you have in total (even if this is approximate) and roughly what proportion are recurring in nature?
    • Following from my last question, do you know roughly how many other posts you have (ie, blog posts, pages and other custom post types?)
    • Are the recurring events largely set to never end? If so, can you check the Events → Settings → General screen and tell me how many months in the future and in the past the recurrence clean-up fields are set to?
    • What can you tell me about your hosting environment? …Is there a summary of features/resource limits you can link me to, or if it is for instance a custom VPS setup could you provide appropriate details?
    • I wonder if you could try installing and activating this plugin: when you are dealing with recurring events it can reduce the total amount of work done for each event-related query … I’d stress though that it is experimental in nature so please simply deactivate and remove it if it causes any unforeseen issues (though it has successfully helped others suffering recurrence-related performance problems, so it’s quite likely it will be of value here, too)

I’m afraid I’m checking out for the weekend at this point but I’ll be sure to check back in first thing Monday morning.

Thanks again for your patience while we work through this issue 🙂

Barry

Hi @acearchers,

I just wanted to check in and see if you are still encountering difficulties and, if so, if you are able to provide any further information as requested above.

If anything was unclear please don’t hesitate to let me know.

acearchers
    Participant

Sorry—our license had run out and had to be renewed by Rob. This is Kim. I head the team that manages Tom’s website and online marketing.

Last week, to try to get the website back up and working, we deleted a significant number of recurring events from the database in phpMyAdmin. There were around 1700 events in the database. The number is now down to about 600—but the website is still having significant issues. Almost all of them are recurring events, excluding a handful here and there. To give you an idea of their needs, they have about 10 events every week that happen every single week—hence the recurring use.

On the website, there are 39 posts, 33 pages. I’m not sure if there are custom types, but there’s likely only a handful, no more than 5-10, if there are. Total, we’re looking at well under 100 other kinds of entries to the database.

Since the beginning of setting up this website, the recurring events were set to 24 years with 1 month cleanup. We culled that back to 12 months and 1 month cleanup two weeks ago. It made no difference.

As for hosting, it’s with GoDaddy on Linux cPanel hosting. 1024MB Memory, 125 entry processes, 100 processes, I/O 1MB, 100GB Disk.

I’d prefer to get your opinion before moving forward to install another plugin, especially one in beta.

With the number of events significantly reduced, it’s still having major issues—which leads me to believe it’s not because of heavy recurring event loads?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘Website slow & completely using memory’ is closed to new replies.