View Past Events gorked

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events View Past Events gorked

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mad Dog
    Participant

With the new version “View Past Events” on the My Events page worked great (and was a feature I’d requested). The client just let me know that it’s not working right at all now. I suspect it happened with one of the maintenance updates.

When you go to the My Events page you see upcoming events and the “View Past Events” link. When you click it, there are no events listed, just a notice “There are no upcoming events in your queue.” and a link to “View Upcoming Events.”

It did work right when the new version was released.

I am using a customized page and changed it to include the new code. Did that code change with a subsequent maintenance release?

Thanks,
    Mad Dog

Geoff B.

Good evening Mad Dog and Welcome Back!

We are sorry to hear that the “View Past Events” link is no longer working properly.

Can you please tell me what’s the value for ‘Default status for submitted events’ in WP-Admin > Events > Settings > Community ?

I am using a customized page and changed it to include the new code. Did that code change with a subsequent maintenance release?

I am unsure which code you modified exactly on your customized page, therefore I cannot answer this question accurately. Could you please give me more details on what part of the code you included in your custom template ?

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Mad Dog
    Participant

Hi Geoff–

Thanks for looking into this for me.

‘Default status for submitted events’ is PUBLISHED.

I use a customized event-list.php page. When the “Show Past Events” came out in 4.0 (which I’d pushed for!) I added the below code from the new event-list.php page and it worked fine. It appears that it stopped after one of the maintenance updates. When I get a sec I’ll compare the code to the latest version of that file to see if it changed, but I wondered if you knew….or knew of something else that changed. Here’s the code I added, taken directly from event-list.php from release 4.0. (Comments are mine)

<!-- Add View old events section from update -->
    <div class="my-events-display-options">
    	<?php
    	add_filter( 'get_pagenum_link', array( Tribe__Events__Community__Main::instance(), 'fix_pagenum_link' ) );
    	$link = get_pagenum_link( 1 );
    	$link = remove_query_arg( 'eventDisplay', $link );

if ( empty( $_GET['eventDisplay'] ) || 'past' !== $_GET['eventDisplay'] ) {
    		?>
    		<a href="<?php echo esc_url( $link . '?eventDisplay=past' ); ?>"><?php echo esc_html__( 'View past events', 'tribe-events-community' ); ?></a>
    		<?php
    	} else {
    		?>
    		<a href="<?php echo esc_url( $link . '?eventDisplay=list' ); ?>"><?php echo esc_html__( 'View upcoming events', 'tribe-events-community' ); ?></a>
    		<?php
    	}
    	?>
    </div>
    <!-- End Display old events -->
    Geoff B.

Good evening Mad Dog,

Thank you for answering my questions.

Based on your answers, I would like to ask you to run a quick test.
    Could you temporarily remove your template override altogether and check if the “Show past events” work ?

Depending on what the results of that test are, I have a couple of additional steps to suggest to pinpoint what the issue is.

Let me know how that goes.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Mad Dog
    Participant

Geoff–

That doesn’t make any difference. And I may see what’s going on but have no idea why…..is it possible that all Events are being deleted from the db after they occur?!??

Looking at the db and filtering, I don’t see any events with a Starting Time “on or before” today!

W…T…F..?

I don’t see any settings that would affect this. Is this possible?

Mad Dog
    Participant

This reply is private.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Mad Dog.
    Geoff B.

Good evening Mad Dog,

Thank you for going ahead and checking if removing the template override altogether made a difference and thank you for sending you system information along as well.

is it possible that all Events are being deleted from the db after they occur?!??

The only case where Events are deleted from the DB is when they are recurring events.
    In fact you can see the settings for that in Events -> Settings -> General

As the original issue (not being able to see the past events both on the website and in the Events view), our best option is to troubleshoot why. It’s actually reassuring to know that the events are still there in the DB.

So here are a couple of things to try out or validate:

1. Ideally going through the complete testing for conflicts procedure would be a nice starting point. More specifically, the advanced post manager and Contact Form 7 might be in cause here (just a hunch).
    2. I would also try flushing the permalinks (re-saving them)
    3. Did you at any given point change the slug for events, single events or community ? Can you also tell me what they are set at currently ?

Thank you for your patience and collaboration.

Have a great evening,

Geoff B.

Mad Dog
    Participant

Thanks for sticking with this. So far:

– Setting for Recurring Events is delete after 24 months. Not only has this system only been active a couple of months, but we don’t use recurring events and even hide that section so users can’t use it.

– I’ll try disabling all plugins but you know it’s a pain and always scares me. I did disable ContactForm7 and Advanced Post Manager but it didn’t help.

– Keep in mind, this DID work when 4.0 first came out. I guess it could be a plugin update though my hunch was a TEC maintenance update.

– I flushed Permalinks. No joy.

– URL slugs have always been (and still are) events. Oddly, we use this for courses and I realized I should change that but since some links are hardcoded I figured I’d leave it. So it’s not that.

I’ll try disabling all plugins.

In the meantime, do you have a script that will display all past events that I could use freestanding perhaps just as a test? It would also help reassure me that the old ones are indeed intact while we figure out how to display them.

THANKS!
    MD

Geoff B.

Good evening Mad Dog,

Thank you for testing things out and I am looking forward to get to the bottom of this with you.

I understand how deactivating plugins can be a bit scary sometimes.
    I might be overstepping here, but have you considered doing these experiments in a testing environment or a local install copy of the site (much less stressful) ?

In any case, I do not have a script handy at this time, but I will absolutely check with the Dev team when they return next week.

In the meantime, there is another test I would like you to perform if you don’t mind. Can you create a brand new “dummy” event that would be a past event and tell me if that event behaves the same (not being visible).

Have a great weekend,

Geoff B.

Mad Dog
    Participant

Geoff–

I’ll try the plugin deactivation over the weekend if I can and let you know about that.

I created a dummy PAST event that started and ended last December. When I go to the My Events page and click View Past Events, it DOESN’T show up.

Interestingly, and you can tell me if this is how it should function, when I go into the Admin Dashboard and go to Edit Events, then click MINE, it says there should be 19 events but only 3 show up. These are upcoming events (and I suspect the only upcoming events). The past ones don’t show up in the Admin area either. Is that how it should work? It doesn’t seem right to me but maybe that’s how it works. So from this I’d guess there are 16 past events of mine that I’m unable to access in any way…..

Whadayathink?

MD

P.S. In Admin, it shows there is 1 Draft. When I click to view that I get a message saying I have no events. So i suspect that is a “past” draft and it’s not displaying in the admin either!

P.P.S As a test, I added a new Event to happen next week. It shows up in the Admin and in My Events as it should. I deleted it in My Events and it deleted as it should. So nothing in WP seems to want to display my past events!

Mad Dog
    Participant

I deactivated all plugins except the three TEC ones: TEC, Pro, Community Events. It didn’t help the problem. Still can’t see past events.

MD

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Mad Dog,

I hope you had a nice weekend.

Thank you for running my suggested tests. I believe we are making progress.

Just to confirm, I am assuming that when you created the “dummy” event, you did so using the Community Events front end form, correct ?

If that’s the case, could you run one last test and see what happens when you create a past “dummy” event not using the Community Events front end form (using the back end) ?

Interestingly, and you can tell me if this is how it should function, when I go into the Admin Dashboard and go to Edit Events, then click MINE, it says there should be 19 events but only 3 show up. These are upcoming events (and I suspect the only upcoming events). The past ones don’t show up in the Admin area either. Is that how it should work? It doesn’t seem right to me but maybe that’s how it works. So from this I’d guess there are 16 past events of mine that I’m unable to access in any way…..

The answer to this question is no. This is not how it should function.
    There is clearly something wrong with the access to your past events which we should be able to get to the bottom of very soon.

P.S. In Admin, it shows there is 1 Draft. When I click to view that I get a message saying I have no events. So i suspect that is a “past” draft and it’s not displaying in the admin either!

Hmmm, this is actually very interesting, I wonder if there isn’t one of the past Events entries (maybe the past draft) that is “corrupted” in the DB.

But first let’s see what your finding for the “normal” past event test is.

Have a great day and hang in there!

Geoff B.

Mad Dog
    Participant

Hi Geoff–

No joy.

Actually, the first time I added a past event I did it from the WP Admin and it didn’t show up. This time I did it from the Community Events front end and it doesn’t show up either.

So yes….all access to past events is gone. I don’t see them in the Admin (which I know I used to), they’re not showing up with “View Past Events” and they’re not showing up as “Previous Events” on the Events list. As far as WP is concerned they don’t exist….weird.

The idea of the corrupt draft is interesting. What do we do now?

MD

Geoff B.

Me again,

Can you also make sure you upgrade core, Pro and Community to the version that was released this weekend ?

Thanks,

Geoff B.

Mad Dog
    Participant

They are:

TEC – 4.0.5

Pro – 4.0.4

Community Events – 4.0.4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘View Past Events gorked’ is closed to new replies.