Users can’t submit events/ HUGE list of Venues w/ IDs listed

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Users can’t submit events/ HUGE list of Venues w/ IDs listed

• This topic has 13 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Lauren Breeze.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Breeze
    Participant

I was just contacted by someone saying they can not submit an event to our calendar. I just checked the form and there is a HUGE list of venues and organizer details that makes it almost impossible to use. Is there a setting I need to change or is this an issue with the product. We are running version 4.4.1 of the Community Events plug in and here is the URL so you can take a look: https://nashvillefunforfamilies.com/calendar/community/add#

Nico

Hi there Lauren,

Thanks for getting in touch with us and sorry to hear about this issue. I could browse the page and verify something’s wrong for sure.

As a first troubleshooting step: Can you please follow the steps described in our Testing for conflicts guide? This way we can see if this is a problem in our plugin or a conflict with the theme or other installed plugins.

From what I see in the browser console (diagnose JavaScript issues in the browser console) there seems to be a JS error. Not sure if that’s related with the amount of venues / organizers in your site.

Please let me know about the test results and I’ll continue to help,
    Best,
    Nico

Lauren Breeze
    Participant

Hi Nico,

Sorry for the delay. I did some testing and part of the issue is a plug in conflict with WP Edit. https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-edit/ We have had the plugin in the site for several years and it worked fine with the calendar until this last calendar update. Can you please see if you can find a solution?

There seems to be a second issue. I was finally able to get the form to render correctly and I submitted a test event. It came back with a huge string of errors all citing Jetpack. The event did go through the submission process and it was in draft in the calendar database, but there was no indication to me as the submitter that it went through.

[cid:[email protected]]

Can you please make the community events plugin work with Jetpack again?

Nico

Hey Lauren,

Thanks for following up and don’t worry about the delay. This reply is coming behind schedule as well!

I did some testing and part of the issue is a plug in conflict with WP Edit. https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-edit/ We have had the plugin in the site for several years and it worked fine with the calendar until this last calendar update. Can you please see if you can find a solution?

So basically disabling ‘WP Edit’ makes the form right again? Could you find any particular settings affecting this or just having both plugins active produce the error? I’ll try to reproduce in my local install and see if this is a legit bug.

There seems to be a second issue. I was finally able to get the form to render correctly and I submitted a test event. It came back with a huge string of errors all citing Jetpack. The event did go through the submission process and it was in draft in the calendar database, but there was no indication to me as the submitter that it went through.

Basically the same questions as above. I think you tried to attach a screenshot showing the messages, but it didn’t come through.

For now, if the troubles were caused in a recent update you can downgrade the plugins to a past version were this was working as expected.

Please let me know about both conflicts so I can continue to help,
    Best,
    Nico

Lauren Breeze
    Participant

02/14/17 – I did some further testing on my end and the conflict seems to be with the short code generator within Jetpack. Hopefully this helps you figure out what was changed with the last release of the community events plug in. I’ve disabled the short code generator for now, but it would be great to be able to use it again.

02/15/2017 UPDATE – My work around created more problems. The biggest reason we even have jetpack is the image modules. Our articles are image heavy and we use the slideshow module in almost every post. I turned the short code module off in Jetpack and now our image galleries are all broken. Here is some info: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-premium-tiled-galleries-layout-slideshows/

So, it seems I have a choice of community events working and we have a very active calendar and our link to the submission page is published weekly in the largest newspaper in Nashville. Or I can have our image galleries work correctly.

Here are the versions of the plugins I have installed currently:

Events Calendar – 4.4.2
    Events Calendar PRO – 4.4.2
    Community Events – 4.4.2
    Jetpack – 4.6 (causing issues once an event is submitted. Instead of a small box that says “your event was submitted” you get lines and lines of code – see screenshot below)
    WP Edit – 4.0 (this caused the issue with community events on the submission form, so I have removed it)

I think the most frustrating part of the situation is that everything worked fine until I did the latest update to community events.

Nico

Thanks for the complete update Lauren!

I think the most frustrating part of the situation is that everything worked fine until I did the latest update to community events.

For now, if the troubles were caused in a recent update you can downgrade the plugins to a past version were this was working as expected → Downgrading a plugin to a past version

With the extra details sent I could find that this issue is a known bug actually. As you say it’s a conflict between Community Events and JetPack. A fix for this has already been submitted for review and most probably it will be included in the upcoming maintenance release coming out shortly. Please bear in mind this is the actual plan, but it might change along the way.

Please let me know if downgrading helps,
    Best,
    Nico

Lauren Breeze
    Participant

This issue was never fixed. I was waiting for a new update of community events and I installed it this morning. The issue is still there. Users are able to submit an event, but when they push the submit button, instead of “thank you for submitting” they get a screen full of code. (see image) I have now been dealing with this for 2 months. There still seems to be a conflict with Jetpack. I am currently running Community Events version 4.4.3 and Jetpack version 4.7.1 Can you please help?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Lauren,

I wanted to jump in and get you a response. Our team trip is now over, but not all of us are yet back in our respective offices so responses are still slightly delayed.

This is going to take a while to fix
    I am sorry to say I have bad news. Since this issue has such an easy workaround, and no one should be seeing it on their live sites, it was recently given a lower priority than average. This means it will take a while to fix, we will have to work through all higher priority bugs first.

We have devoted this entire year to try and get as close as possible to zero known bugs, but this will take a while. Currently we are at 300, down from 500. This puts us ahead of many large pieces of sofware, plenty of which have tens of thousands of bugs. But still our goal is to get them all i we can!

Thus, your bug might not be patched for a few months.

How you can fix this bug now
     You will notice that I said “this should not be appearing on any live site”. This is because no live site should have WP_DEBUG enabled. Yours apparently does. This is a bad idea. It causes messages like this to be needlessly displayed on your site. These messages are intended solely for PHP developers, such as plugin and theme programmers. They are not something you ever want to display on your site. So simply disabling WP_DEBUG will cause them to go away. Does that fix the issue for you?

As others have noted, downgrading would also work. But if I were you I would avoid that solution, as the above will not only hide these useless messages, but any others you might encounter as well.

Cheers!

– Brook

Lauren Breeze
    Participant

Hi Brook,

Thank you for your answer. My husband, who is a developer, did some extensive testing on our site and WP_DEBUG is not active, so that is not the cause. He even tried setting WP_DEBUG (again it is already set to false) to log errors (https://aristath.github.io/blog/wp-hide-php-errors). That still did not fix the problem.

The issue seems to be a conflict between the community events plug in and the shortcodes feature in Jetpack. We use Jetpack’s slideshow option for all our image galleries and it requires Jetpack’s shortcodes to be activated. This is a know issue and there is even a thread in Github: https://github.com/Automattic/jetpack/pull/6157 As you can see in the bottom of this thread, Jetpack developers have looked at this and come to this conclusion, “this isn’t a Jetpack problem, it looks like it’s a case of another plugin passing an array instead of a string to wp_kses_post()”

I’m really disappointed that I am not a priority for you. I pay annually for your product and I expect it to work.

Nico

Thanks for the follow-up on the issue Lauren. I’m sorry to hear about this still being an ongoing issue for you 🙁

What Brook suggested seems to be a useful workaround (turning off error reporting), it’s not the ideal solution but it should work. Don’t want to get into the details on why it’s not working on your site but some part of the site’s code or server issue might be forcing PHP warning to be displayed.

This issue was never fixed. I was waiting for a new update of community events and I installed it this morning.

I’m sorry for this, the fix for this issue had to be pushed away from last MR due to time constrains. As Brook pointed out we are doing our best to tackle the known bugs considerably. In the effort of serving a wider array of customer we tend to fix more popular bugs first and then try to address the more particular ones (like this incompatibility). I cannot make any promises but I will talk to our manager and see if this can be prioritized for the next maintenance release. Most probably that’s something we can do as the workarounds don’t seem to work for you unfortunately.

Reading through our exchange I notice you never confirmed if you tried to downgrade our plugin and/or JetPack. Can you please let me know about it?

Thanks for your patience! Hope we can get a fix for this soon 🙂
    Best,
    Nico

Nico

Hi,

Just wanted to share with you that maintenance release 4.4.6 of our plugins is out, including a fix for this issue 🙂

Find out more about the release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-events-calendar-pro-4-4-6-event-tickets-4-4-6-premium-add-ons/

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site,
    Best,
    Nico

Lauren Breeze
    Participant

Good Morning Nico,

I ran the update last night and it worked! Thank you so much for the fix – I really appreciate it!

Nico

Stoked to hear about it Lauren! Thank YOU for the patience while we worked on this 🙂

I’ll go ahead and close out this thread, but if you need help with anything else please don’t hesitate to create a new one and we will be happy to assist you.

Best,
    Nico

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Users can’t submit events/ HUGE list of Venues w/ IDs listed’ is closed to new replies.