Update to 2.0.9 Completely Wiped Out Custom Fields

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Update to 2.0.9 Completely Wiped Out Custom Fields

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Help! Updated to 2.0.9 and all of our Custom Fields have been completely wiped out…and this website is focused on a three day event that takes place in two weekends, so this is unfortunately a critical issue for us. I am not a PHP expert. Does anyone know if there’s an easy way to bring back the old fields, or do we just need to revert back to the old version from backup files until after our big event?

Barry

Hi Kristel, that’s unfortunate: it turns out there is an issue where most of the settings are wiped upon updating from 2.0.8 to 2.0.9. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to recover these other than from a backup.

We’re certainly aware of this problem and are working to eliminate it from future updates – possibly a hot-fix will even be introduced to try and prevent others who have not yet update from experiencing the same problem, though I can’t offer any guarantees on that one.

I don’t think it would be particularly advantageous to restore the 2.0.8 files unless you also have a database backup, I’m afraid.

Barry

*have not yet updated

Wow…this is beyond unfortunate, as we are in the countdown for this event, and the details that were wiped out were extremely important…let’s add to my misery that this is a pro-bono client, and this issue has now engulfed the last 12 hours of my attention.

That said, we do have daily database backups, and a full site backup from pre-update. Am I to understand from your comments that rolling back the plugin won’t be the simplest fix? Has the information been wiped from the database as well?

Barry

Right. To the best of my knowledge that’s exactly the problem – the relevant fields – which are stored in the database – are reset to “factory defaults” if you will.

If you wish to restore 2.0.8 and you have a matching database back-up that would certainly work, I’m sorry if my comments led you to think otherwise.

It’s sounding like you want to resolve this in the shortest amount of time possible – totally understandable – so this may not be an option for you, but you could also restore an appropriate database back-up, grab the relevant settings then update to 2.0.9 and input those settings in again.

Again, we’re very sorry for the inconvenience. In your case, rolling back to 2.0.8 (since you have database backups to hand) could well be the best solution for you.

alrighty…”it is what it is”…thanks for the response.

Tried manually uploading the Events Calendar Pro & Community Events files from my recent site backup, but once they were uploaded to plugins folder via FTP, they still did not appear on the plugins page for activation…perhaps I’m doing something wrong, but I was thinking this would be the correct roll back procedure?

Barry

What version numbers are displaying on the plugin page?

I’m sorry, not sure what you’re asking. I’m dealing with two files from a previous site backup (before the update): Community Events and Events Calendar Pro. I’m uploading them via FTP to the site’s plugin folder, then when I go to the plugin page, neither plugin is visible.

Also, as I recall, there were three plugins on the page before I deleted them (maybe this was the mis step?): Events Calendar, Events Calendar PRO, and Community Events. Only two files exist in the site backup though, so maybe I should be uploading the free Events calendar first? Either way, the most current version of any of these I have on file are back to pro 2.0.2, so if you have a link to download 2.0.8, I can perhaps just use those…

If I go the route of uploading your versions, then I need to figure out where all of the cusomizations were that we paid my CSS/PHP expert to deal with for us. I’d be asking him to manage all of this for me, but because this is a pro bono client, I don’t have budget for this unexpected issue.

Barry

OK. First thing to note is that all of the plugins ought to be in synch. You cannot (or should not) for instance have The Events Calendar 2.0.9 running alongside Events Calendar PRO 2.0.8.

You say that you have uploaded two files. Are these .zip archives? If so, they need to be unpacked (or “extracted”) or else you need to upload them through the WordPress dashboard which will handle this automatically.

In other words, at least in respect of our plugins, what you should have in your wp-content/plugins directory is a set of further directories such as “events-calendar-pro” and these should in turn contain further directories and files. If that isn’t the case – if you are looking at a single file called events-calendar-pro.zip for instance – then you’ve done something wrong!

Barry

Yes, you will need the free The Events Calendar plugin and it would need to be the correct version.

Either way, the most current version of any of these I have on file are back to pro 2.0.2, so if you have a link to download 2.0.8, I can perhaps just use thoseā€¦

I am sure I could email you the relevant versions of all of those plugins. Please email me at [email protected] (please make it clear that the email is for my attention) and then I will have a note of your email address which I can use.

Given that your back-up relates to 2.0.2, are you absolutely certain that the last active version before this problem was 2.0.8?

If I go the route of uploading your versions, then I need to figure out where all of the cusomizations were that we paid my CSS/PHP expert to deal with for us.

Right, I mean unfortunately we can’t really help there. What I can say is that so long as your expert followed the documentation then any customizations should be unaffected by this since they will reside in your theme code or as standalone plugins.

I am dealing with two completely unzipped files (one titled “the-events-calendar”, the other titled “the-events-calendar-community-events” from the same recent full site backup (so they would theoretically be in synch). Both appear to have all contents intact, and I uploaded both unzipped files to the plugins folder of the site. When I then navigated to the plugins page of the site to activate them, they did not appear on the list of installed plugins.

I will try going thru this process again, from a fresh unzip, if you agree that this is supposed to be the proper procedure. Perhaps there was an issue unzipping &/or uploading the files.

Good to know on the latter part…he was following your instructions on customizations, so hopefully this portion won’t be an issue.

And yes, I am 100% positive I was running the most current plugin versions prior to the update. I maintain all client sites with weekly backup/update procedures.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘Update to 2.0.9 Completely Wiped Out Custom Fields’ is closed to new replies.