Update did NOT fix white screen issue

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Update did NOT fix white screen issue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sheila
    Participant

Barry,

I’m sorry I closed the other thread at https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/blank-screen-on-mobile/#post-974737.

I asked the original poster (in Italy) to check after I did the update. He just reported back:
    “I’m at office right now, different PC, different ISP: no page. I confirm you that I can surf easily all the rest of the site”
    Here’s a link to his screen capture: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0c8519cbd4

CRAZY.
    Sheila

Barry

Hi Shiela,

So far I haven’t been able to see the problem myself but it is apparently sporadic.

I do notice that you appear to have a fairly high number of events that are allowed to show per day, in addition to enabling Month View Caching (which I believe you already did) can you try reducing this to something like a maximum of 3 events per day?

That may not be ideal, but if for instance you were able to do it for a week or so and it led to no more reports of white screens coming in that would give us a much better idea as to the nature of the problem. I’d also like to clarify one other thin from your original topic:

We just updated our website with a newly designed theme.

Was this problem triggered following a theme update, or did it coincide with the 3.10 release of our own plugins (I realize both may be true)?

Thanks!

Sheila
    Participant

Thanks. I’ve been away and will be leaving again for a week on Friday. So this whole issue may have to wait to troubleshoot. I will say what I can in response. We were not aware of the issue with the old theme and we cannot revert to it. And as far as I know it was both before and after the plugin update.

The whole purpose of the site is to allow all the members to post their events. So limiting to displaying only 3 events per day would be unacceptable long term. I could TRY it on the dev version of the site to test the theory. HOWEVER, it’s a slightly different environment and given that the issue seems intermittent it’s going to be challenging to assess. Plus it would only be me testing it. While I was gone I saw the white page on my Android but when I got home it appeared fine. It was also fine on the hotel’s PC and on mine at home. The client has not actually complained YET. But when they do I’d like to have already found a solution!

I hope we can leave this open as I’ll need to pick it up again when I’m back from my next trip. Thanks.

Barry

Hey Shiela,

Quick note first of all that if the topic is closed when you return (we have typically been closing topics manually after 2 weeks of inactivity and just instituted an automated process for doing so) then you can simply create a new topic and link back to the old one to give the next team member the appropriate context, so there’s no problem on that count.

We were not aware of the issue with the old theme and we cannot revert to it. And as far as I know it was both before and after the plugin update.

Interesting, so it does seem like a compatibility issue with the theme rather – or perhaps use of this new theme in concert with the calendar is consuming more resources than previously … either possibility makes sense in light of the fact we aren’t seeing widespread reports about this.

I would definitely advise you to ensure error logging is in place on the server and that you can access the server error logs in case that sheds any light on the source of the problem.

The whole purpose of the site is to allow all the members to post their events. So limiting to displaying only 3 events per day would be unacceptable long term.

I understand that, but it’s also important to realize that “nothing is for free” – the more events you are accepting and the more you wish to display simultaneously, the greater the available server resources need to be to support this.

This is particularly true in month view, where a busy month may contain far more events than would typically be presented in list view (assuming the default number of posts-per-page is in place). That’s the reason we provide a setting to enforce sensible limits in month view.

Assuming for the moment the problem is performance related in that your server doesn’t have enough “grunt power” to generate a view containing so many events and if you really don’t want to make use of that setting, I could really only advise you scale up and use adjust your hosting environment accordingly.

Sheila
    Participant

Thanks. So do you think if I changed the default view from month to maybe map view it might help?

I will have my local dev colleague take a look at server resource issues as well.

Barry

Well, if that’s the problem, it will probably remain an issue for month view for as long as you are fielding a similar or greater volume of traffic and similar greater numbers of events (and while you also have the same hosting setup) – though of course less people may encounter it if it isn’t the default.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Update did NOT fix white screen issue’ is closed to new replies.