Translation of event series

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Translation of event series

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mr Rupert Cefai
    Participant

Hello, we are trying to put the event recurrence functionality to work, with the aim to display multiple occurrences of an event as a single item in the list view. Since our website is multilingual, each event series in our default language (Maltese) needs to have a corresponding English version. Unfortunately, we have encountered difficulty while trying to achieving this.

Recurrence of our test event [http://www.kreattivita.org/event/my-parent-event/all/] is set to repeat the first event in the series every day, between Jan 1, 2017 and Jan 7, 2017, with the exclusion of Jan 4, 2017. The list of issues we have encountered follows:

1. The slug of the event series has the /?lang=mt parameter appended to it, even though our WPML configuration uses language directories (e.g. /en/) instead of parameters for the slug construct. We have also noticed the same behaviour in case of single events, which has not occurred before upgrading the EC PRO to its recent version (3.12.6).

2. Despite event series in both languages being linked to each other, the English version returns 404. The link that the language switcher redirects to reads ‘http://www.kreattivita.org/event/my-parent-event-en/all/‘ instead of ‘http://www.kreattivita.org/en/event/my-parent-event/all/‘, which would normally return the translated events series.

3. If one would try to switch back to the Maltese version while browsing ‘http://www.kreattivita.org/en/event/my-parent-event/all/‘, s/he would be taken to ‘http://www.kreattivita.org/en/event/my-parent-event/2017-01-01/‘ instead of ‘http://www.kreattivita.org/event/my-parent-event/all/‘. Single events seem to refer to their corresponding language versions correctly, but event series do not, perhaps due to misconfiguration on our part.

4. The recurrence setup of our test event series made us expect to see a list of 6 events upon selecting the ‘See All’ option – for some strange reason, only the first event in the series is being displayed, even though we have left the option to ‘only list the first event in the series‘ unchecked in the events recurrence settings.

If you could offer us some assistance with making the recurrence work in our multilingual setup, that would be most helpful – thanks in advance.

With best regards, James

Geoff

Hello James, and thanks for getting in touch!

Good question. By chance, are you using WPML for your multilingual functionality? That, at them moment, is the only multilingual plugin that integrates with The Events Calendar And, while it integrates fairly well, not all the features of our other plugins like Events Calendar PRO (including as recurring events) may be fully integrated.

That said, we do have a guide for setting up The Events Calendar with WPML and another one for creating the translations for events. I would suggest using those as the starting point for creating translations.

As far as the 404’s go, I wonder if the steps outlined in this guide will help. It’s a bit of a long shot, but it does help resolve many of the 404 issues we see in the calendar and is worth a try.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Mr Rupert Cefai
    Participant

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for your reply and kind assistance.

I confirm that we are using WPML for multilingual functionality, and that both WPML String Translation and WPML Translation Management plugins are present and actively used. Also, ’Events’, ‘Organizers’, and ‘Venues’ under the Custom Posts section and the ‘Event Categories’ under the Custom Taxonomies section are all selected.

We have followed the instructions provided in your reply – upon creation of translated version of our test event, we were presented with the following message: ‘This document is a duplicate of (post name) and it is maintained by WPML. WPML will no longer synchronize this tribe_events with the original content.’

The message has puzzled us, as for the past months all our linked (single) events have been created using ‘Copy content from’ option, with no issues whatsoever. Also, all event slugs have so far been correctly structured using language directory construct (/en/), as configured in WPML.

We can confirm that the ‘?lang=en’ param has only started being appended to the slug construct after recent updates to Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO. We have also noticed that all our (single) events created prior to the plugin updates have now the ‘?lang=en’ param appended at the end of their slug, although the switch from one language to another in the front-end seems unaffected by the new param. For some strange reason, event series seem not to follow the same configuration as our single events.

Kindly advise what would be the next step in our attempt to put event recurrence to work on our site – thank you in advance.

With best regards, James

Geoff

Hi James,

Thanks so much for following up! The extra information you provided is super helpful and I appreciate it.

I’m afraid that, in looking into this further, the recurrence feature of Events Calendar PRO is not integrated with WPML. WPML recognizes the recurring instances as duplicated posts rather than unique instances, which is causing the error.

I do see that we have an existing ticket in our system to looking into adding this integration. I’ve added this thread to the ticket for reference but unfortunately do not have any solutions for you at the moment. I’m really sorry about that, but does this at least help answer your question and clarify why the the issue was coming up with recurring events?

Thank you,
    Geoff

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Translation of event series’ is closed to new replies.