The latitude and longitude for your venue could not be fetched. The Google Maps

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO The latitude and longitude for your venue could not be fetched. The Google Maps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sally Richardson
    Participant

Hi – I get this message regularly and cannot get all of my events onto the map as a result.. I have tried changing my API key several times but it does n’t make an difference.
    I have read this thread:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/issues-with-map-and-google-api/
    What is the current status?
    Many thanks

Patricia

Hey Tashmina,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I’m very sorry about this issue you are experiencing.

Can you please share with us your system info/site name so we can further investigate your case?

Thanks!

Patricia

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

Hi – thanks and I have sent this through, as above.
    It is odd as there are two messsages always: one the error I mentioned and the other – at the same time – says “Fixed geolocation data for 10 venues” but they aren’t of course….

Patricia

Hi @tashmina-artists,

Thank you for sharing your system info with us! I’ve been reviewing our internal bug reports and verified that this specific issue affects sites that either reached their Google Maps API usage limit or are hosted in shared servers (a given web server IP address can only make 20k requests/day). If you have only a few venues and your site is hosted in a shared server, this is probably the cause of the issue you are experiencing.

Can you please add the following code in your theme’s functions.php file and let me know if this workaround solves your problem? Don’t forget to add your API key in the appropriate field:

https://gist.github.com/cliffordp/9d6c25feb389f98e8ae09a41273a3488

We also had a few reports mentioning that switching to a dedicated server IP address solved the problem.

I hope this helps you get started. Let me know if you need anything else in the mean time and I’ll be happy to assist!

Regards,

Patricia

Sally Richardson
    Participant

Hi – thanks but I am afraid that code did not make any difference. Did you see the thread I linked to you? It was:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/issues-with-map-and-google-api/
    and deals specifically with my problem.

The above thread indicates an outstanding problem? What is the status on that specific issue?

Sadly I am not in a position to have my own server! I assume that is the only way I can arrange a dedicated IP address?

In a moment I will privately post the code I added to check I have not done it incorrectly.

My TEC plugins are up for renewal and I pay quite a lot each year – but it is of concern if the maps don’t work…

Can you help? Thanks!

Sally Richardson
    Participant

This reply is private.

Patricia

Hi @tashmina-artists,

As I can see from here the code you added is correct: I’m sorry to know that this solution didn’t work for you!

Regarding that thread you mentioned, I’ve reviewed it and it is associated with the same problem, but the fix wasn’t released yet.

To help you better understand the problem, what is going on is that not all the Google Maps API calls from our code are going through your Google Maps API key.

Therefore, it defaults to your server’s key (if any) OR your server’s IP address (which probably reaches it’s limit fairly quickly being shared).

Known workarounds are:

– Try to set latitude and longitude manually for these venues (from the Edit Venue screen);
    – Ask your hosting provider for a dedicated IP address (most of the hosting providers have this option available – with an additional cost). You will find further information about the difference between shared and dedicated IP address in this article.

I realize these are not great workarounds, but they are the only ones available in your specific situation until a patch is released. Unfortunately, I cannot commit to a release date at this point, but you will be contacted when the fix is released.

Thanks for your understanding and if you have any other questions in the mean time, please let me know and I’ll be happy to assist!

Regards,

Patricia

Courtney

Hey there Sally

We’ve just released an update that should fix this bug. You can read more about it at http://m.tri.be/19tp. Please update your plugins and let us know if you are still experiencing this or if we can close out this ticket.

Note: We suggest testing updates on a staging server (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/creating-using-wordpress-staging-site/).

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘The latitude and longitude for your venue could not be fetched. The Google Maps’ is closed to new replies.